kuai43

727 deliberate crash in Mexico April '12

I just ran across this..
"A Boeing 727 passenger jet has been deliberately crash-landed. The pilot ejected just minutes before the collision. The plane was packed with scientific experiments, including crash test dummies. Dozens of cameras recorded the crash from inside the aircraft, on the ground, in chase planes and even on the ejecting pilot's helmet. All of this was done for a feature length documentary to be shown on the Discovery Channel later this year."

Reportedly, the pilot parachuted (ejected?!) out of the 727 at 2500 feet. I'm thinking he probably went out the rear stairs. Anyone know more info about the jump?

http://travel.usatoday.com/flights/post/2012/04/boeing-727-crash-landed-in-mexican-desert/683824/1
Every fight is a food fight if you're a cannibal

Goodness is something to be chosen. When a man cannot choose, he ceases to be a man. - Anthony Burgess

I doubt the pilot "ejected." Installing even a rudimentary gun seat in a 727 would be a pretty big engineering job. I am guessing he bailed out and the writer is one who knows nothing about airplanes or parachutes or ejection systems.
Charlie Gittins, 540-327-2208
AFF-I, Sigma TI, IAD-I
MEI, CFI-I, Senior Rigger
Former DZO, Blue Ridge Skydiving Adventures

They show somebody bailing out of the airstair, WFFC-style.

This reminds me of a certain cigar smoking jump pilot who used to bring various turbines to a local DZ for boogies. One Sunday night on the last load, when the plane was going home after we got out, I told him I would get out last and do my best to shut the door from the camera step, and he told me not to bother.

He revealed that after we got out, he would (in this order) light his cigar, trim the airplane, and then walk to the back of the plane and close the door himself. No rig, no pilot at the controls, smoking a cigar next to the open door in flight, it must have been quite a sight to see (of course nobody was there to see it).

I have heard a story of someone who tried to close the door for a pilot who gave the jumpers a "fly away" load. He got his foot stuck in the door and was in a real sticky situation until he managed to get free! :D:o

"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

i can get with the idea of such an exit....i was lucky enough to enjoy a Few of those @ Quincy!!!B|
BUT it sure seems to me.... that 2,500 feet...is too low...

if the plane can be set and trimmed, and "auto piloted" from that altitude... to impact.. It sure seems like the same can be done. from say 4,500 feet or 5,500 feet..

two -five leaves way to little time for any issues, such as a hesitant exit. or a hitch, in getting from the Front to the Rear..OR serious instability at exit...[:/]

and IF the Pilot was the Passenger on That tandem which has been mentioned.... then it's really....way too low...

IHMO

jmy

Jim Wallace was one of the TI's and I think they got out at around 6K with the copilot and the navigator. Scott Smith was the Safety Officer and after the pilot turned the plane around and aligned the crash trajectory him and the pilot jumped from about 2.5. All exits were from the rear ramp door. The plane was then flown remote control to impact. It wasn't crashed at a steep angle because they wanted to simulate an actual crash landing.

Pilot was JimBob Slocum. The crew went out of the rear door.

I guess he's the first person who can log PIC time for an airplane AND a skydive on the same legal flight.

No!
Back during the 1970s - at Arthur, Ontario - an experienced skydiver was learning the finer points of flying a Cessna 180 jump plane. He stalled it on jump run, paniced and bailed out.
The jump-master dove out the door after him.
The airplane righted itself.
The student with three jumps static-lined the first-timer.
The airplane flew off towards the horizon.
The jump-pilot landed beside the DZO: Lloyd Kallio. Lloyd asked: "If you are here, who is flying that airplane?"

Keep in mind fashions in skydiving gear. Many still packed military-surplus Cheapo canopies into old military PEP containers. Only sky-gods jumped Para-Commander main canopies.

I guess he's the first person who can log PIC time for an airplane AND a skydive on the same legal flight.

No!
Back during the 1970s - at Arthur, Ontario - an experienced skydiver was learning the finer points of flying a Cessna 180 jump plane. He stalled it on jump run, paniced and bailed out.

I don't know the details, but a regular pilot bail out rig is not legal for a skydive.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

No!

I don't know the details, but a regular pilot bail out rig is not legal for a skydive.

You're both leaving out Tom Bishop and his jump from his Porter he was ferrying across the country to show a potential buyer. While wearing a full skydiving rig (with main and reserve). With a handheld GPS, cellphone and some food in his pocket. Just when the aircraft had a "malfunction" and that happened to be over-insured.

I don't remember when that happened exactly, somewhere around 2003-ish?
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."