LiborJanicek

Tracking Suit - Palms Up or Palms Down

For a max flat track, ya gotta go palms down. You can roll your shoulders equally well with either option, but with palms down you can push mightily on the wind and cup your elbows/hands for extra horsepower. All the best trackers I've ever known (Airspeed, etc...) go palms down.

Wingsuits are another story. I think it depends upon the type/configuration of the suit along with other factors DSE mentioned such as altimeter.

FWIW, palms up presents a more clean profile, and prevents forearms from generating drag.
Not saying it's "better" but it does have some advantages when _properly_ applied.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BxhZWxju4_IlQUZDdGtnZUlqM2s/edit

Check out the proper/improper pix in this document. Please bear in mind it's for WS, not tracking, but the are related.

I was a little confused by your explanation, because of the up/down reference. Anatomically speaking, moving the palm facing up is supination, moving the palm facing down is pronation. This is based on standing up with your arms straight out. I believe you are suggesting he pronates his wrists. When belly tracking the palms would be facing the sky or pronated, or considered to be anatomically palms down.

Beggars put their palms up, which I believe you are indicating is the wrong way to track. From the point of view of the tracker, his palms are down, from a viewer tracking alongside, they are up. It is confusing to use up and down. Pronation/supination leaves no doubt.

WTF? in english, baxter, you know i dont speak spanish!
gravity brings me down.........

My elbows will not completely go straight, so my elbow looks bent about 15 degrees when locked. If I track palms down/front I can't get my forearms tight against my sides if I desire to. So, I have started flying palms up/back which allows me to tuck my arms tightly against my sides, or even slightly behind my body. Of course that is just me with my elbow issue.
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

I threw out a ridiculous bet to DSE hoping to spark the debate, but he was too smart to take the bait...B|

The OP was asking about a tracking suit. IMO, if it doesn't have wings, palms down will serve you better. Your arms from your elbows to the tips of your fingers become your wings.

Today I tried tracking with palms up. The PC answer would be to say that there was no difference and it is all about personal preference, but in truth I still think palms down is more efficient. It's funny, I had never heard of FS skydivers tracking with palms up until I moved to the west coast.

but in truth I still think palms down is more efficient. It's funny, I had never heard of FS skydivers tracking with palms up until I moved to the west coast.

I agree. IF, and it's a big IF, there is a minor, minor aerodynamic advantage with the palms up, I feel it's still a weaker position and less natural for a "palms down" belly flyer. It's easier to push on the air with your palms than press on the air with the backs of your hands.

Most people need to work more on their legs and torsos during their track than trying some fancy hand flipping over thing.

I agree. IF, and it's a big IF, there is a minor, minor aerodynamic advantage with the palms up, I feel it's still a weaker position and less natural for a "palms down" belly flyer. It's easier to push on the air with your palms than press on the air with the backs of your hands.

Most people need to work more on their legs and torsos during their track than trying some fancy hand flipping over thing.

+1, not too many folks use their hips and legs properly.In context of prepping for WS, better view of altimeter and smoother leading edge...now my curiousity is up. Gimme a couple days, I'll see if I can toss out a couple jumps, one of each, both measured with a Flysight and Altitrack.

Palms down with a slight cupping of the hands into an airfoil shape creates lift and is more bird-like.:P

cup them 45 degrees and you will be flying Palmonauti :D (but don't trust them for exit separation, 45 degrees don't work for that :))
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

up them 45 degrees and you will be flying Palmonauti :D

Palmonauti!:D:D:D

(but don't trust them for exit separation, 45 degrees don't work for that :))

Twin Otter load last week, my son and I were first out, well short of the DZ. Next guy out, 300 jump solo getting current after YEARS out of the sport. His wife was on the plane doing AFF. In the landing area he said "Wow, I looked down and saw where I was so I started tracking up the jump run line." :o:o

I waited until back in the hangar to walk over and have a quiet talk with him. Told him it's better to land off than risk a mid air. I thought everyone had gotten the word already. :)

+1, not too many folks use their hips and legs properly.In context of prepping for WS, better view of altimeter and smoother leading edge...now my curiousity is up. Gimme a couple days, I'll see if I can toss out a couple jumps, one of each, both measured with a Flysight and Altitrack.

Do a palms to body while you're at it. Sorta like holding the wing on a wingsuit.