surfbum5411

Biggest fads in skydiving...

lol this is funny, what in skydiving history hasnt been a trend? obviously ruling out the progression of rigs and gear etc. but even freeflying was thought of as a trend and before that RW was thought of as a trend.

i own a micron with magnetic risers, a skyhook and a soft reserve handle. but that doesnt go on until i have zipped up my liquid sky suit and before exit i make sure my go pro is on...and blinking! but for real...outside of skydiving we are all thought of as idiots who carelessly disregard life, so who cares? i have the money/like to spend it on skydiving stuff that i find appealing and enjoy, be it a go pro, liquid sky suit or a wingsuit. the interaction i have with other jumpers who dont care is also refreshing.

magnetic riser covers and skyhook are newer technology, which can be embraced very usefully. frankly i think its pretty ridiculous to blindly jump equipment that you dont understand, but people will always do that. gopros, and cameras in general, are pretty funny to see when everyone is asking "AM I BLINKING?!?!" but who can deny their usefulness in capturing fun jumps, coach jumps and rainy day activities? i wasnt sold on the pillow handle at first, but it has a pvc insert and for me doesnt feel any less safe than a "low profile" d ring. square canopies also have their place eg new jumpers, wingsuiting, camera jumps maybe? but an elliptical canopy is fun, which brings back to the main reason people skydivie. fun.

overall who cares? shit my username is waveoff5500, its funny cause its stupid, just like goofy handshakes you make with your friends. i love skydiving and enjoy how i do it. if i cared that people might think different of me because of what i wear or gear i use, well then ive made a pretty ironic choice of sports. and if youre ever around ohio come say hey and compliment me on my jumpsuit because i waited a long time for it.
"its just a normal day at the dropzone until its not"

When I get a new canopy it's going to have neon pink:P I loved the bright colours of the 90's and can't stand the zombie, brains and gore phase that seems to be the in thing. B|

I love the bright colors because they're bright, not because they're trendy or matchy-matchy. I had a black canopy that perfectly matched my gear (which is black & grey with navy accents) and I hated it because it went into stealth mode. My mains now are 7 yellow/2 orange and 7 orange/1 white/1 navy and no one misses me!

Yellow is not a good option for canopies at many DZ's in the UK given the high number of farmers planting oil seed rape as a cash crop (it's bright yellow when in flower) making it nearly impossible to spot an open canopy beneath you.
Atheism is a Non-Prophet Organisation

lol this is funny, what in skydiving history hasnt been a trend? obviously ruling out the progression of rigs and gear etc. but even freeflying was thought of as a trend and before that RW was thought of as a trend.

i own a micron with magnetic risers, a skyhook and a soft reserve handle. but that doesnt go on until i have zipped up my liquid sky suit and before exit i make sure my go pro is on...and blinking! but for real...outside of skydiving we are all thought of as idiots who carelessly disregard life, so who cares? i have the money/like to spend it on skydiving stuff that i find appealing and enjoy, be it a go pro, liquid sky suit or a wingsuit. the interaction i have with other jumpers who dont care is also refreshing.

magnetic riser covers and skyhook are newer technology, which can be embraced very usefully. frankly i think its pretty ridiculous to blindly jump equipment that you dont understand, but people will always do that. gopros, and cameras in general, are pretty funny to see when everyone is asking "AM I BLINKING?!?!" but who can deny their usefulness in capturing fun jumps, coach jumps and rainy day activities? i wasnt sold on the pillow handle at first, but it has a pvc insert and for me doesnt feel any less safe than a "low profile" d ring. square canopies also have their place eg new jumpers, wingsuiting, camera jumps maybe? but an elliptical canopy is fun, which brings back to the main reason people skydivie. fun.

overall who cares? shit my username is waveoff5500, its funny cause its stupid, just like goofy handshakes you make with your friends. i love skydiving and enjoy how i do it. if i cared that people might think different of me because of what i wear or gear i use, well then ive made a pretty ironic choice of sports. and if youre ever around ohio come say hey and compliment me on my jumpsuit because i waited a long time for it.

I don't' think anybody really cares, more of a tongue in cheek thread.

You do make some good points though...

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

There is no way a chest strap (of any size) is taking enough of a load to bend hardware

I wouldn't have thought so either. He showed me a the hardware and some photos documenting the date/jumper.
"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to attend his classes"

I'll start with LiquidSky suits. Current turn-around-time is 6+ months for a jumpsuit. Did we not learn anything from Nike Air Jordan's when we were little? Hint: they won't make you jump like Mike.

Sky surfing.

It looked cool on ESPN although most of us realized that it was more fun to jump with other people after the novelty wore off.

Porsche (portia) goggles
web gloves
bell bottom jump suits
bandana instead of a helmet
exit chants, you could have a whole thread on just them
cutaways just for fun
spotting, must have been a fad cause people don't do it anymore
nitrous, ludes, pcp
U only make 2 jumps: the first one for some weird reason and the last one that you lived through. The rest are just filler.
scr 316

spotting, must have been a fad cause people don't do it anymore

It's not a fad, it's a lost art. :P

Nothing lost about it! GPS was out on the jump plane a while back... Youngons were happy to see and old fart like me who knew how to spot. It's like riding a bike!
B|
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."