aatif96

First Night Jump and I land out!

So just got my B license and thought it would be a great idea to do a night jump. I'll have to admit i was nervous as hell going up to altitude. First solo jump went off without a hitch, kept the DZ in my sights and landed perfectly. Second jump i did a two way and agreed to pull lower at 4k. Jump went awesome tracked away and pulled...Oh Shit! drop zone is over a mile away and no way in hell im making it. All I can see is lights and trees everywhere. Looked all over until i spotted a darker patch that was different then trees. I grabbed my rears and curled into a ball the whole way praying i wasnt flying into a swamp. Just made it over the tree line into an open field with a nice soft landing. Only problem was i forgot to take my cell on the second jump:$. So i walked up to the nearest house with lights on and rang the doorbell at 10:00 pm before realizing that I'm a bald brown indian dude in a jumpsuit with glowsticks duct taped all over. luckily they were cool about it and let me use their phone. Quote of the day "what the hell are you people doing jumping out at night"...seemed like a good idea at the time.

Cant wait to do more night jumps ;)

i saw your home dz listed in your profile and visited there a while ago. It happened that there was no jumping at that time, of that day, but i did look at an aerial photo...

it looked like a tight Dz in the daytime !!! let alone @ night.[:/]

where was your 2 way, in the exit order ? were you short of the DZ or long? on the windline or offset?
where did your partner land??? And the others who may have been on the load??

any moonlight?? that night??/

:)

yeah New England Drop zones are not forgiving when landing out. we were out last on the first pass behind a group of three at full alti. we gave them way too long of a separation and should have asked for another pass. I also fall like a greased piano and it was a windless night and i agreed to pull lower on our two way. he pulled at 4.5k and me at 4. my canopy also gives me a good 800ft snivle so i was about 3 when i got my bearings and realized i wasnt gonna make it. My partner landed in the trailers just short of the landing area, and i was over a mile away. We were the only ones on the load to not make it back.

what i took away from this. spot better especially after giving 16 sec separation from the previous group. agree at a higher altitude to break formation and have enough time to track in the right direction.

out of curiosity what were the uppers doing?

Well, the winds generally only do two things, blow and suck!
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

"rang the doorbell at 10:00 pm before realizing that I'm a bald brown indian dude in a jumpsuit with glowsticks duct taped all over. luckily they were cool about it and let me use their phone. Quote of the day "what the hell are you people doing jumping out at night"...seemed like a good idea at the time."

LMAO. Great stuff, man.

[Reply] at a higher altitude to break formation and have enough time to track in the right direction.

I remember chatting with the DZO about being at 5k and realizing I was way far out after a long spot and trying to track back toward the DZ before pulling. He said don't panic and forget to clear my airspace, but it is generally better to just dump if I ever get worried about landing off because Id have a better chance of covering the distance than in a short track.

Of course, that assumes you didnt get out downwind :P .

Great story! The GF and I shoukd be getting our As inside a month :D .
Weeeee!