alexafox

First mal... Tips?

Hey all!

I had my first malfunction the other day and I'm hoping some people might have some tips for preventing this in the future.

I had a hard pull, gave it three good goes then at 2k I went to my reserve.

After looking at the BOC on the ground it looked like the excess bridle that was stowed in the BOC (about 3 or 4 inches) had bunched up and jammed as I pulled my hacky, preventing the pilot chute from being able to come out cleanly...

Of course I'm now much more cautious about stowing that excess and keeping it clear from the PC but I'm just wondering if anyone has any little tips or tricks for preventing hard pulls like that?

Any advice will be much appreciated!

Cheers,

Lex
I refuse to accept a mediocre life...

facebook.com/chutefirst
chutefirstapparel.com

I had a hard pull, gave it three good goes then at 2k I went to my reserve

Pack your PC differently, I'm pretty sure the link in the other reply is to a video showing you how to do that. If you use a packer, make sure you leave time to repack your PC when you grab your rig, so you can be sure you did it the 'right' way.

No offence ladies, but it's not that uncommon for females to have a hard pull. It's not 'common', but 9 times out of 10 when a hard pull leads to a reserve ride, it's a female jumper. It's just due to less upper body strenght. For this reason, you need to use extra care in how your PC is packed and that your BOC isn't too tight (the recent incident in Elsinore was due to a tight BOC pouch).

Finally, one tip that might work next time you have a hard pull, try bracing your elbow against the side of your container, to give you more leverage on the PC. When you pull without your arm touching anything, you're more or less using only your shoulder muscle, and with your arm extended and behind you, leverage is not your friend. If you jam your elbow into the side of your rig, you can use your bicep and forearm to do a 'curl' and maybe get the PC moving. Once it starts to release from the jam, you need to go back to using your whole arm so you can still get a good toss on the PC.

The above, of course, is all dependant on time and altitude. Practice the manuver on the ground, with your rig on and all straps tight. Actually pull and toss the PC several times this way so you know the move. If you do have a hard pull on your first try, then jam your elbow into your rig and give it another shot. Some people say '2 tries, 2 seconds', some people give it 3 tries, whatever you choose, decide ahead of time what your number is and stick to it. Adding 'just one more try' is what kills people when they get too low for a reserve inflation.

Hahaha no screaming but a big 'YAHOOO' when I touched down! lol

Here's footage from the jump but you can only see me tracking off to my malfunction destiny... No footage of the chop!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ynCcvUKy3Q

facebook.com/chutefirst
chutefirstapparel.com

I had a hard pull, gave it three good goes then at 2k I went to my reserve

Pack your PC differently, I'm pretty sure the link in the other reply is to a video showing you how to do that. If you use a packer, make sure you leave time to repack your PC when you grab your rig, so you can be sure you did it the 'right' way.

No offence ladies, but it's not that uncommon for females to have a hard pull. It's not 'common', but 9 times out of 10 when a hard pull leads to a reserve ride, it's a female jumper. It's just due to less upper body strenght. For this reason, you need to use extra care in how your PC is packed and that your BOC isn't too tight (the recent incident in Elsinore was due to a tight BOC pouch).

Finally, one tip that might work next time you have a hard pull, try bracing your elbow against the side of your container, to give you more leverage on the PC. When you pull without your arm touching anything, you're more or less using only your shoulder muscle, and with your arm extended and behind you, leverage is not your friend. If you jam your elbow into the side of your rig, you can use your bicep and forearm to do a 'curl' and maybe get the PC moving. Once it starts to release from the jam, you need to go back to using your whole arm so you can still get a good toss on the PC.

The above, of course, is all dependant on time and altitude. Practice the manuver on the ground, with your rig on and all straps tight. Actually pull and toss the PC several times this way so you know the move. If you do have a hard pull on your first try, then jam your elbow into your rig and give it another shot. Some people say '2 tries, 2 seconds', some people give it 3 tries, whatever you choose, decide ahead of time what your number is and stick to it. Adding 'just one more try' is what kills people when they get too low for a reserve inflation.

100% agree! Especially about the upper body strength! Haha I better start hitting the gym! :ph34r:

I did 2 normal tries then my 3rd was a leveraged try. As soon as I hit my hard deck I wasn't trying any more! haha

My BOC is really tight as well! I'm a bit apprehensive about 'loosening' it though.. Is that really a good idea?

I'm thinking cautious packing techniques are a better option!

I think I'll definitely be doing some practice pulls on the ground using that leverage technique a bit more too!

Thanks!

It was nice to know my brain kicked into gear at the right time and remembered my procedures! Thanks brain! B|

facebook.com/chutefirst
chutefirstapparel.com

Especially about the upper body strength! Haha I better start hitting the gym!

Nah, no gym required. Just do some push-ups every morning and you'll be there in no time. Mabye start with 10, but work your way up to 20 or 30 and that's all you need.

It's not that men are 'stronger' (sometimes we are) it's that men are usually bigger. For me to get up and brush my teeth takes more strength than for you to do the same. You spend your day moving around and operating a smaller body, so you have smaller mucsles. I have more bulk to haul around, so I have bigger muscles. All of that makes perfect sense until we get to the DZ, and both jump essentailly the same rig (yours with a smaller harness). End reuslt, I can clear a hard pull, and you might not be able to.

Just some push-ups, even if you go every other day will be more than enough (along with packing your PC better). It will also help with your flare as well, another area the ladies sometimes have trouble.

It was nice to know my brain kicked into gear at the right time and remembered my procedures! Thanks brain! B|

thats the most important bit, well done on your first, I hope you got the beers in.

I sure did! :)... and then tequilla and then sambuca and then... etc etc. Haha

facebook.com/chutefirst
chutefirstapparel.com

I use the same method you use to pack the PC. Two things I do to try to eliminate the problem you had.

After I stow the bridle into the PC and fold/roll the PC on the container, I stand up over the top of the container and roll it on its side so the mouth of the BOC is facing up. I then make sure to rotate the rolled PC so that the bridle is against the bottom of the container when the PC is put into the BOC. The bridle does not cross over the mouth of the BOC, but sits tight against the container so I can tuck it into the protector flap. Any excess bridle can be tucked up under the protector flap or the right side main flap of the container. I don't shove the extra into the BOC. When I pitch, there is nothing in the way of the PC to cause it to bunch up.

Second, I beat the bujesus out of the PC once it is in the BOC to make it as flat as possible. The mouth of the BOC is flat, and I want the PC to be the same shape so it can come out as easily as possible when I deploy.

YMMV
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

"The bridle does not cross over the mouth of the BOC, but sits tight against the container so I can tuck it into the protector flap."

That is what I was going to say....
You have the right to your opinion, and I have the right to tell you how Fu***** stupid it is.
Davelepka - "This isn't an x-box, or a Chevy truck forum"
Whatever you do, don't listen to ChrisD.

I use the same method you use to pack the PC. Two things I do to try to eliminate the problem you had.

After I stow the bridle into the PC and fold/roll the PC on the container, I stand up over the top of the container and roll it on its side so the mouth of the BOC is facing up. I then make sure to rotate the rolled PC so that the bridle is against the bottom of the container when the PC is put into the BOC. The bridle does not cross over the mouth of the BOC, but sits tight against the container so I can tuck it into the protector flap. Any excess bridle can be tucked up under the protector flap or the right side main flap of the container. I don't shove the extra into the BOC. When I pitch, there is nothing in the way of the PC to cause it to bunch up.
YMMV

That's a great tip! I'm always looking to make sure I'm not wrapping the bridle around the hacky but your way makes doing that impossible! :D

Thanks! I'll definitely try that!

facebook.com/chutefirst
chutefirstapparel.com

Especially about the upper body strength! Haha I better start hitting the gym!

Nah, no gym required. Just do some push-ups every morning and you'll be there in no time. Mabye start with 10, but work your way up to 20 or 30 and that's all you need.

It's not that men are 'stronger' (sometimes we are) it's that men are usually bigger. For me to get up and brush my teeth takes more strength than for you to do the same. You spend your day moving around and operating a smaller body, so you have smaller mucsles. I have more bulk to haul around, so I have bigger muscles. All of that makes perfect sense until we get to the DZ, and both jump essentailly the same rig (yours with a smaller harness). End reuslt, I can clear a hard pull, and you might not be able to.

Just some push-ups, even if you go every other day will be more than enough (along with packing your PC better). It will also help with your flare as well, another area the ladies sometimes have trouble.

Along with push ups or other general arm exercises, some specific deltoid work might be a good idea.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

1. BOCs can be too tight. Have rigger check it. One thing to look for is stitching along the open edge of the spandex. Straight stitching is a no-no.

2 Do not continue to jump the rig until you have solved the problem.

3. Read the SIM to re-familiarize yourself with A license opening altitude.

4. If you had this problem with Germaine's PC folding technique, you were not doing it correctly. Verify your procedure again.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

3. Read the SIM to re-familiarize yourself with A license opening altitude.

4. If you had this problem with Germaine's PC folding technique, you were not doing it correctly. Verify your procedure again.

Thanks for those tips!

I'm not sure what the SIM is but I'm asumming it USA related... In Australia I actually have a B license and I was well above my minimum opening heights!

I pitch at 3,500ft and my hard deck from the start has been 2,000ft... I feel like that's pretty standard... Should I be thinking about opening higher?

Since watching that Brian Germaine video again, I definintely wasn't minimising the excess bridle by folding it on my rig... I'm certainly doing it now! :)

facebook.com/chutefirst
chutefirstapparel.com

After you pack the pilot chute, see if you can slip it out an inch or two (2.5 to 5 centimeters where you live:P). Then slide it back into place. That should spotlight any bunchiness.

A friend of mine, Kelly Farrington, who builds the Infinity rigs my family jumps, says that since the pouch is basically flat, you should fold your pilot chute flat, like a business letter, not rolled like a burrito (kangaroo wrap where you live).:)

After you pack the pilot chute, see if you can slip it out an inch or two (2.5 to 5 centimeters where you live:P). Then slide it back into place. That should spotlight any bunchiness.

A friend of mine, Kelly Farrington, who builds the Infinity rigs my family jumps, says that since the pouch is basically flat, you should fold your pilot chute flat, like a business letter, not rolled like a burrito (kangaroo wrap where you live).:)

That makes sense about flat folding it! I might have a day of trying all these different techniques and playing around with them! :)

Haha I love the Kangaroo wrap comment! Hahahaha :P

facebook.com/chutefirst
chutefirstapparel.com

Just as a quick update! I had another couple of hard pulls (no reserve ride) and one of the POPS showed me a really small yet very valuable tip for avoiding a hard pull so I thought I would share it here...

When folding the pilot chute I fold it in half then in half again. The second fold I'm making much shorter to make it the same length as my BOC... Now when I put the PC in the BOC i use my hand at the bottom of the PC to push it right down to the end, putting my whole hand in the BOC.

This has stopped in bunching up so much and is coming out like an absolute dream!!

Hope that helps anyone else (chicks I'd assume :P) who might be having a similar issue.

:)

facebook.com/chutefirst
chutefirstapparel.com

Ooooops...now I see the "Australia"

:$

Instead of folding it flat, I had great success with rolling the PC as tightly as I could get it so that it went into the pouch easier....and came out easier.

Think of pushing a stick into the pouch versus trying to push a rope into it.

Think of pushing a stick into the pouch versus trying to push a rope into it.

WAY to easy, I'll just let that one go. :ph34r::P

:D:D:D
Thank you sir!
:D:D:D