khess

Canadian travelling to Australia

It's been about 4 years since I last jumped in Oz, but the rule is that it's up to the chief instructor at the dropzone to evaluate your experience and grant you equivalent privileges and/or licence. Have you log book, licence and rserve data card - much like anywhere else.

You will likely have to purchase a short term APF membership which is good for up to 6 months. If you'll be there longer than that, you'll likely have to buy a full APF membership. There's a lot of places there I haven't jumped, but everywhere I did jump wanted to see APF membership.

As the other guy said, more information on the APF website. Follow his link.

As a side note

We have the first Canadian Mike Pyke (x Canadian Rugby International ) playing for Sydney Swans against Hawthorne in the Australian Rules Football Grand Final today in about an hour.

Pretty good achievement for his 46th AFL game

Krystal, you got your Solo certificate already. Australia seems to be a well organized country concerning skydiving. I have no doubt you could jump up there, first with an instructor for evaluation, then keep on jumping under supervision to reach your A license level and more. I heard you were in the process to learn packing. Good. Bring your solo certificate and logbook with you and CSPA membership as well. I wish you the best DOWN UNDER. When jumping, you will get upward with respect to us.;) We will miss you.
If you meet Leslie C. a freeflyer, tell her hello on my behalf.
AL

Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

Unfortunately they're big on mandatory AAD's in Australia. Have to watch out for that.

not unfortunate for us. SOP for us
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

As a Canadian skydiver, what exactly will I need to jump in Australia? Ie: minimum license, do I need to purchase an Australian parachuting membership etc?

Thanks
K

Depending on where you go there are a number of things.

1) As you will be renting equipment get an instructor to detail EXACTLY what equipment you used - including the cutaway and deployment system details, canopy and harness size and type.

Here in Perth we have 2 main DZ's one uses BOC and the 'normal' cutaway and reserve system, the other uses ripcords and an SOS system. If you aren't 100% clear they will be nervous that you need cross training.

2) Be current. Jump just before you leave. If you have more than a month after your last jump expect a more rigorous EP review and possibly being pushed back towards a lower level of student jump.

3) Expect to have to do an evaluation jump. Based on personal experience this will range from doing an AFF type jump, or a 2 way with an instructor.

4) Unlike the USPA AFF progression (sorry don't know about Canada), tracking and a hop and pop are part of AFF training. If you haven't got clearly documented evidence of these two skills then try and do them before you come across. Otherwise you may be asked to do them as AFF jumps.

5) Get in touch with the DZ's you plan to jump at before you leave. If you strike up a dialog and perhaps send scanned pages from your log book, you'll know exactly what to expect.

6) Have jun - it's beautiful here.:)
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.