cklow13

Call to Action: City of Saint Marys Shuts Down The Jumping Place Skydiving Center

I was making a statement that no one is stopping skydiving currently...

You are correct, no one is stopping Skydiving currently.

What they ARE doing is stopping landing parachutes on the airport.

When you landed there you were in defiance of that restriction.

Right or wrong is for the courts to decide regarding the placement OF that restriction.

Knowingly breaking that restriction doesn't help the case one bit, in fact it hurts it considerably in that you've shown you could care less about observing the rules.

The fact no one was there to arrest or cite you is totally inconsequential...if I drive 100mph through a school zone and don't get a ticket it doesn't mean it's OK to do that, or there won't be a future price to pay...like say a traffic camera caught it.

Breaking a restriction at the airport is flat out stupid, the only statement that makes is one of conceded defiance for self gratification.

Bragging about it on an open public forum speaks volumes in regard to the lack of understanding of possible negative perception & legal implications in the REAL world.

Might wanna flush out your head-gear n00b and try to refrain from fuckin' things up even more with the 'it's all about ME' attitude...;)

At least they got video. Clicky
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

I can assure you that e-mailing the newspaper, city council and the mayor and most of all folks like Kevin Willis, who is the head of the FAA ACO-100 group will only serve to hit the bee hive.

News Article

Didn't see this anywhere already.

I like the drogue toss on the video.

I'd like to know about this mysterious $4800 "special permit for skydivers" that is required by state and federal law...?

Some airports do a permit for commercial operators. It may list things like the PLA, operational and other items for the company to follow. If these items aren't followed the permit may be revoked.
Some airports address these items in a lease.

News articles usually end up being "he said, she said" types of deals for a DZ.
Having unkown skydivers e-mail city hall and FAA types is not really a good idea. You have no control over what is being said.

Also, if a Part 13 or 16 process is started, you don't want outside people involved giving any information, true or false, that could impact the outcome. Leave that to the DZO and the attorney handling it. IMHO

One of the more well known access cases was won by USPA, but lost by the DZO because the dzo was such as asshat and did some..... well, actions, that gave grounds to denial of that operator, but not "operators".

Can't believe how stupid some people are....:S

you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

One of the more well known access cases was won by USPA, but lost by the DZO because the dzo was such as asshat and did some..... well, actions, that gave grounds to denial of that operator, but not "operators".

This seems to be a small sample of the same, IMO.

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

This seems to be a small sample of the same, IMO.

Matt

+1 Acting like a defiant teenager is not the way to succeed at anything. [:/]

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

They sounded like they think it is their right to land in a secure area. No remorse, no apology. (at least from the article. and we know how that can be)

Skydivers continue to be their own worst enemy.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

They sounded like they think it is their right to land in a secure area. No remorse, no apology. (at least from the article. and we know how that can be)

Skydivers continue to be their own worst enemy.

Sparky

Well...probably doesn't help that King's Bay isn't just any submarine base...it is the east coast home of the Navy's nuclear missile subs.

At least TJP realizes that they need to update their aerial photos...:S

I think you need a professional public relations consultant. Seriously. Even assuming the initial ban was unfair and unwarranted, I'd suggest to you that jumping in flagrant violation of the ban, posting about it on DZ.com, posting a video of the jump on YouTube, and then, Whoops! jumping into a nuclear missile submarine base a few days later is a less-than-brilliant strategy to execute your Call to Action.

http://jacksonville.com/news/georgia/2012-10-04/story/st-marys-airport-authority-correct-revoking-skydiving-permit-dot-says

The Georgia Department of Transportation has found that the St. Marys Airport Authority was correct in revoking The Jumping Place’s permit to run a skydiving business from the airport.

The Jumping Place owner Cathy Kloess sent an informal complaint in late August asserting the authority had violated it Federal Aviation Administration permit by yanking her permit over skydivers landing on nearby Kings Bay Naval Submarine Base. Kloess asserted the airport had discriminated against her economically which is forbidden under federal grant policies.

The authority’s revocation of the permit was appropriate and within the panel’s rights to ensure that airport is operated in “a safe and serviceable condition,’’ Carol L. Comer, director of the DOT’s Division of Intermodal transportation, wrote Wednesday. Because federal funding passes through the DOT to individual small airports, the DOT acts as the FAA’s agent in such matters.

The city provided documentation of The Jumping Place’s lack of oversight and control while operating at the airport, Comer said.

Also, the city provided documentation of eight off-site skydiver landings since 2007, four of which were on the submarine base, Comer said.

“Documentation also shows TJP coordinated protest jumps in clear violation of a revoked operating permit, trespass warnings and in defiance of the airport’s rules and regulations,’’ Comer said.

August 25, The Jumping Place took skydivers aloft in spite of having its permit revocation of tis permit 10 days after two skydivers landed on a softball field on Kings Bay.

A few who landed on the airport were issued criminal trespass warnings, but a Jumping Place instructor was cited for trespass after a tandem jump. As an agent of The Jumping Place, the skydiver clearly knew that the authority had notified the company it could not jump there, officials said.

A couple of skydivers who landed in a city park were cited for reckless operation.

The Navy had sent letters strongly stating that no more skydivers could land on the base.

In his letter, Rear Adm. John C. Scorby, commander of the Navy’s Southeast Region, said, “We can no longer accept this state of affairs”

Answering another complaint, Comer said the authority was not in violation of any regulations in not charging the fixed base operator for a commercial permit. The authority’s lease agreement meets the requirement by compelling the fixed base operator to provide revenue directly to the city from land lease payments, tie down fees and fuel fees.

For her part, Kloess had already moved on.

The Jumping Place operated briefly from the Palatka airport but now has a regular weekend schedule at the airport in Statesboro, Ga.

Yes, but it also brings up an interesting point with regards to airport access cases.

The authority’s revocation of the permit was appropriate and within the panel’s rights to ensure that airport is operated in “a safe and serviceable condition,’’ Carol L. Comer, director of the DOT’s Division of Intermodal transportation, wrote Wednesday. Because federal funding passes through the DOT to individual small airports, the DOT acts as the FAA’s agent in such matters.

A few years back when getting into the access stuff real deep, Randy O. had been telling me about how some states work a little different then most of the, like 905 of states. In this case, it seems GA is one of those states, where the state DOT is in control of the AIP funding, they are awarded the grants, not the airport sponsors directly.

In other parts of the country, the state DOT would not have a say.

She is better off in the new place, but the rules of AIP and grant funding still apply and the in state of GA, it seems the state DOT has a a say.