James525

Saving someone in spite of themselves

I've discovered a youngster on youtube who's jumping a camera at 32 (thirty-two) jumps, but it's ok because he's got tunnel time. [:/]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mv9CD5emfMs

Any response I give now will be angry, sarcastic or both and therefore not helpful so if anyone with more experience in these matters, or better yet might know him in real life, wants to say something please do.

NOTE: I don't think everyone yelling about how stupid he is will help, but I've been wrong before.
My skydiving - http://unstable-exits.blogspot.com/

Not familiar with USPA regs - how many jumps are you supposed to have? Or is there no requirement, just CCI approval?

BPA is C Licence aka 200 jumps I believe, plus CCI approval.

Perhaps point the person in question to incidents involving low jump numbers and cameras?

USPA has no requirements, just recommendations. Those are 200 and C license, but not every DZ enforces it.

Based on his responses, he won't listen. Not to advice, not to the "Small Format Camera Incidents Thread", not to anything.

He has Madd Skilz. You can see it in his responses. He's got tunnel time so he's ahead of the learning curve. He's got high speed motorcycle experience so skydiving isn't that big of a deal.

I just hope his lesson is gentle enough that he survives without permanent damage.

Unlike some of the others that have come and gone.
Sangi in particular.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

He has Madd Skilz. You can see it in his responses. He's got tunnel time so he's ahead of the learning curve. He's got high speed motorcycle experience so skydiving isn't that big of a deal.

He also apparently has an extremely experienced wingsuit pilot telling him it's totally ok to jump with a camera :S[:/]B|>:(

He's got mad skillz though - he even clearly says so in the comments.

DGIT?

He got his A license at 25 jumps so yeah, he's totally ahead of the curve. :D:|
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I've never (other than just in passing/casually) ridden motorcycles either. What do you all think his response would be to me if I asked (straight-up) about my 1st bike being (insert most mega-awesome brand-x here) because I've got "high-speed experience" - both here, and in auto-racing? Serious riders also have a name for such ("skids", "smears" or some-such similar) for the newbie/yet MAD-SKILLZ types who crop up every so often amongst them there too, right? - Anyone wanna maybe "advise" me, and maybe I can (would be willing to at least TRY) that approach?
coitus non circum - Moab Stone

... Serious riders also have a name for such ("skids", "smears" or some-such similar) for the newbie/yet MAD-SKILLZ types who crop up every so often amongst them there too, right?...

SQUIDS.

Stupidly Quick, Underdressed, Imminently Dead.

The motorcycle eqivalent of Dead Guy In Training (DGIT).

Joke: What do you call a guy on a large crotch rocket wearing only shorts, shades and sandals?

An optimist. :P
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Some important points I've learned during my time in our sport:

1. You can not save someone, they can only save themselves
2. Sometimes those guys will have a scare and come around
3. Sometimes the best you can hope for is that they'll only injure themselves and live to exit the sport

The worst thing that can happen is that they kill someone else, which has and will happen. It is up to the local DZs to identify these folks and help them if they ask for help or ban them when they refuse it. If they have no where to jump, then they can't kill someone who deserves to live more than the jumper making foolish choices.

Also, in regards to motorcycles and skydiving, I happen to have a high level of experience and skill in both. There isn't a lot of correlation. The only thing that really works are speed and spatial relations when compared to swooping and the ability to visually slow time while keeping your mind moving at full speed to evaluate your approach. So the visuals can be similar (especially when compared to swooping), but there are zero skill cross overs between the two separate activities.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Great post, Dave. Man - I remember so well now too - your "early days" in here. ;) I don't think I'm speaking outa school here, as I say that with the absolute utmost in recognition and respect. You are a great resource, because you come from very real "perspective" on and with such. I do think people now actually Dave, DO listen to you. Quite simply because you have EARNED (and you of all people I know anyway - know it was neither quick, nor easily earned) that respect. I am so glad to see you still "hanging around" the community here, even in light of your most recent life choices, changes, and evolution. In short - THANK YOU!

Here is what I was thinking with this one though:

1. I would follow the link to his channel on Youtube, and then maybe "subscribe" to it.

2. Rather than be disparaging - be honestly curious. ...ASK QUESTIONS.

3. Because he (apparently) comes from a background in motorcycle racing (I too have heard so many times - way too often that they think it "correlates" - which I cannot agree more, it REALLY DOES NOT >:() - I would strike up my communications/curiosity from that angle (as if I am a SQUID).

4. When he starts (hopefully) "advising" me that I should not just start of with the 1200cc racig bike, straight-away - and what incremental steps to take - only THEN might I/we be able to correlate them, and (again - hopefully) maybe "get to him".

Make sense? ....Or, are what you saying Dave - is that in your experience, even that - would be a total waste of my/our time? I've just got to think though - that SOMEHOW - there's just got to be a way, to effectively - somehow - get to someone like this. But maybe I'm wrong. Was just a thought anyway.

Dave - I both respect, and appreciate your opinion.

Thank you so much for sharing it!

coitus non circum - Moab Stone

Thank you!

You're right, I was 100% that guy in the beginning. Around 200 jumps someone planted a boot up my ass and I had to re-evaluate my choices and learning. Scott Miller was the canopy coach that sent me down the right path and after multiple courses and some 1-on-1 coaching, I also sought out help from other top-tier canopy pilots.

That is one of the reasons why I say that if someone doesn't want help, they won't accept the help. If someone realizes they need help, then they will approach the training with the level of dedication that it takes to turn course.

Even if you tried to show the correlation between being a DGIT and a SQUID I don't think this guy will get it. It might be worth a try, though. What he'll probably get is his DZ grounding him until he can seek out training and make better choices. Although he may simply go to another DZ, so it will take a "group effort" to help point him towards the light.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

That guy is so full of crap. Wannabe. I hope he will stay in the sport long enough to realise how stupid he was. And I bet Yves will not be happy to see his footage used without permission
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

He jumps at Lodi... he'll be ok...;)

Of course his DZO said it was okay. The sooner he starts practicing with camera, the sooner he'll be ready for the tandem video rotation.:P
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I bet he played "T" ball and everyone got a trophy and Mom always told him he was “special”.

Game over, we have a winner. Everything he's doing seems to revolve around 'pop culture' and 'social media'. His interests and goals are so scattered, that the only thread connecting them is that he thinks they're just boxes to check off on hos website (and youtube channel, and twitter account, and facebook, and whatever other gay shit he's into).

What seems to be missing is the passion. The laser-like focus that you see in anyone who is destined for success in any one area. He states 'one' of his goals is to BASE jump off the Eiger, and also wingsuit BASE, so I can only imagine that he wants to combine the two. Right there is where the guy is missing the point, and most likely because it's outside somewhere, and he's inside hosting a new 'webisode' of his crappy youtube show.

Jeb Corliss, this and Jeb Corliss that. Great example, Jeb was skydiving and BASE jumping long before there were GoPros and youtube, and long before anyone gave two shits about what he was doing, with the notable exception of Jeb. He was out there teaching himself, learning, and driving to be better than he was the day before for himself, and if the fame and fortune never came, he would still be out there doing the same things he's doing now (maybe with less international travel as there would be less sponsor dollars, but you get the point).

Just like the VAST majority of us here, who are on the DZ every chance we get, ready to spend every dime we can, and every ounce of energy we have to better outselves with no fame, reward, recognition, or even an honorable mention.

This dickwad is putting the cart waaaay before the horse, and in this case there stands a good chance that the horse is going to kick the shit out of the cart, and the trample this kid into the dirt. He says he reads DZ.com, I hope he reads this and then let's his mom read it, so she knows the games that he's playing and the consequences that can result.

What a tool.

He's got mad skillz though - he even clearly says so in the comments.

DGIT?

And, apart from that, he explains to others how to learn to skydive really fast: "I've read the entire USPA SIM and am constantly asking questions and watching video of more experienced divers since that's the fastest way to learn." :S

But, according to his comments, you shouldn't watch videos of Sparky: "Admittedly, your own videos could use some work, so taking advice from your personal camera work experience isn't exactly reassuring." Yeah hell, if MaddSkillZ-TunnelTime-LearningFast-Wonderboy tells so, it must be true. Sparky, if I were you, I'd ask HIM for some advice :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:...:S>:(>:(
For example a gem like this one: "Fortunately, the nature of where the camera is placed (on top of my head), I don't pay attention to it and just go ahead with my normal skydive." I don't know what he intended to say with his first - unfinished - sentence, but the "I don't pay attention to the cam" is such a classic one, innit? However, as someone else mentioned here, he wouldn't listen to what's said in the small camera incident article...

I also think what Dave said: You can't make someone stop doing dangerous things, they need to stop themselves or mother nature/the laws of physics will do. :S:(>:(

'nuff bitched, work to be done is waiting ;)
The sky is not the limit. The ground is.

The Society of Skydiving Ducks