GLIDEANGLE

What do you budget to attend a boogie?

I have searched for this to no avail.

When planning to participate in a boogie, how do you budget? What costs do you consider? How do you control costs?
While I know that replies like "Budget? What is a budget?"B| or "Just sell everything in one room of your house."B| are inevitable... I am seeking concrete feedback on how to anticipate costs and plan accordingly.

Thanks in advance.

Blue skies.
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

Travel, lodging, food, jumps, beer and bail are the variables, each person budgets as to their own needs. ;)

It all depends on what you want to do.

Stay in a tent and eat Ramon making 2-3 jumps a day and you can get by on 500.00 bucks.

Personally, I budget 1500.00 ~ 1800.00 for a 5 day stay. *and don't like sleeping on the ground anymore.

When the money is gone I head for home. ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Or to quote you...

If you want to know what spending a weekend at a skydiving boogie feels like you need merely take all your money out of the bank and burn it. Then snort the ashes into your nose and mouth, throw yourself down the stairs a couple times and then drink until you pass out in the yard in a pile of dirty clothes.
You'll feel just like you spent the weekend boogieing, without all the hassle of traveling to a dropzone and doing that skydivin' and partying stuff.

-Zing

B|

Is this the same Zing that was at Eloy? If so, I am the one buying rubbers at the dinner table.

You will remember me.

:D

Travel, lodging, food, jumps, beer and bail are the variables, each person budgets as to their own needs. ;)

Thanks, I had forgotten "bail". What was I thinking?

Go to enough Boogies, and you'll definitely remember to budget for it!

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I've done boogies for $50.00 for food and beer and plus gas money. Then again I showed up to the boogie and packed for jumpers or did tandems at the DZ to pay for some jumps and other food. All in all if you want to do a few jumps and not work you're looking at a minimum of $200.00 if you live within a couple hours of the DZ and tent camp with cheap food.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Travel
Food
Beer
Registration
Accommodation
Jump Tickets

...all vary depending on the boogie, your needs, and your distance from the boogie.

Condoms?!!!!!

yeah right, you might get more than you bargained for.... for the price of "on the house";)
if you want a friend feed any animal
Perry Farrell

I always consider travelling 1st, and my luck is generally not great.

In 2004, I flew from South Africa to Eloy for 15 dives when I had budgeted for 40 due to bad weather. In an effort to spend that, I flew to LA and hired a car to Perris. I should have hired a U Boat. I did 1 dive at Elsinore. Total travel costs around $2000 for 16 dives... $125 per jump.:(

In 2007 I went to Germany for the AN-72 boogie, again budgeting for around 40 dives. Travelling and accomodation were far more expensive in Europe. Crap weather again, so around $4200 for 13 skydives... $329 per jump. :(

What made both trips worthwhile were the people I shared them with. I have a bunch of dives already, so more dives don't mean that much. Time with people who matter means much more.

(And Africa is a long way from just about everywhere...)

t

It's the year of the Pig.

Note to self: keep an eye on Tonto's boogie schedule ... and go elsewhere. Sounds like you're the one Crowded House wrote that song about. :D

I have never really considered the cost of travel in the cost of the boogie, at least not directly. Yes, I think through how much it's going to cost me (both in time and money) and then decide whether that particular event is worth it in my mind. But I don't actually calculate a per jump cost.

Instead, as long as I enjoyed myself and got home safe, it was a good boogie, whether I got in 3 jumps or 30.

I've also been fortunate that often the travel costs for me are negligible because I'm either tacking it onto a work trip or using the frequent flyer miles that I've accumulated from work trips.

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Budget depends on alot of variables.

1) Travel Costs. How much will cost you to get to the Boogie. Sometimes this is an expensive plane ticket others it is just a tank or two of petrol and some drive time.

2)Where will you stay? Tent on the DZ doesn’t usually cost much. Hotel?? Can run the budget up but your own shower and a real bed is nice.
3) Registration Fees? How much is registration for the Boogie.

4) How many Jumps you plan on making?

5) Beer. Is this your FIRST Boogie? First time at that DZ? Plan on any other Firsts while you are there?? Beer fines must be paid.;)

Add all that up and then add about 25% more for incidentals and you should have your Budget. Of course you will blow way past that number but atleast you know HOW much you went over budget for the Boogie.;):D

I am sorry but I am going to post an ACTUAL reply with actual numbers and explanations. It won't be funny or witty but it will give an actual account of a 4 day skydiving vacation on a budget. The figures are from Z-hills last December.
$90.78 1 Coached Re-currency jump
$482.46 for 22 Jump tickets @$21.93/ticket
$326.35 4 Days equipment Rental @$81.50/day
$138.60 Southwest Airlines (Round trip Airfare BWI to Tampa)
$90.00 Ride to the DZ (Round trip)
$0 Lodging(Slept in a tent)
$80.00 Food @$20.00/day
Grand total:$1,208.19 for the whole Boogie
If you don't rent gear $881.84
The food includes a couple of beers around the bonfire
No Bail on that one.
Add $45.13 for Morning after pill ("Plan-B"@CVS)
$10.00 STD clinic
$6.29 Postage to get my shoe back from her in the mail.

There might be other expenses but that is the most complete, honest and straightforward account I can give of four and a half days of fantastic time
There are no dangerous dives
Only dangerous divers

Add $45.13 for Morning after pill ("Plan-B"@CVS)
$10.00 STD clinic

A box of condoms would have been a lot cheaper. ;)
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Travel (gas/food) - $100
Registration - $50
Jumps $150/day
misc $100-$200

the experience - PRICELESS!!!

I spent $4000 this year on skydiving. The rest of the money, I just wasted. (stolen from a T-shirt I saw somewhere).

Doc
http://www.manifestmaster.com/video

Most of us manage not to break ourselves :-)

I think he's talking about putting on the Dublin boogie.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon