Red Bull Stratos - Space Dive

Nice article in Wired: Would the Stratos Space Jump Be Similar to Reentry?
http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2012/02/would-the-stratos-space-jump-be-similar-to-reentry/

spoiler: no. ;)

"The 'perfect' parachute jump was thought to be one where the opening shock and touchdown were simultaneous" -Lyle Cameron, ~1965
---
Falling-With-Style.com

The physics is spot on. If you remember the X prize competition (first civilian group to send a vehicle into orbit twice) Dick Rutan sent a plane just into space and bounced along the edge of the atmosphere surface until the vehicle speed reduced enough to fall back into the atmosphere. He used the basic theory of low speed = low heat on reentry.

http://scaled.com/projects/tierone/spaceshipone_flies_again_within_14_days_-_wins_10m_x_prize

Your updates are significantly better than Redbull provides.
Which is almost zero.

Maybe this isn't a big deal after all.

[:/]

Maybe they just don't want to have to post that they had a bad spot and he's landing in Russia :P
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Your updates are significantly better than Redbull provides.
Which is almost zero.

Maybe this isn't a big deal after all.

[:/]

I just summarized their post on the blog :D
http://www.redbullstratos.com/blog/post/27981646970

Felix is Airborne

We are airborne! Felix is on his way up inside a pressurized space capsule to 90,000 ft under the lift of a helium-filled balloon. His ascent rate will be approximately 1,000 ft per minute. Have questions about the mission? Send to [email protected]

scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

90,000? So this is just another practice run? {Still very impressive, but I thought the next one was for the record}

96,640 ft

The "big" jump from 125,000 ft happens in a few weeks...

Incidentally, he did set a record yesterday. Highest jump without a drogue.
__

My mighty steed

I was on KROW in Roswell all last week for flight testing. From our telemetry station you could see their camp pretty well. Apparently they have a couple trailers that can move a transportable building around. Pretty cool little mobile setup. We were using the other side of the runway because of wind directions, but the couple times were on that side we stopped to look. There wasn't much activity outside...a truck driving around every once in awhile. If it was busy I thought of trecking over there to check it out.
"Are you coming to the party?
Oh I'm coming, but I won't be there!"
Flying Hellfish #828
Dudist #52