lopullterri

Line Twists

then the one cable did not clear...had to pull it out by hand

That's nothing that the rigger can do to it. It's all a matter of the length of the cable running back to the riser release, and the length of your arm. If your arm is too short when pulling downward to get the cables clear of the end of the channel, then sweep your arm back outward like you're going into a spread-eagle position again. That'll create the extra distance needed to clear the cable.

I believe Terri's point was that she correctly executed a difficult cutaway even with the added complication of the cables not clearing and that this is evidence that she knew what she was doing, not that the rigger had messed with her cables. That's the way I read it anyway.

It does bring up another point though - what if she had been unable to cutaway and had ended up having to fire her reserve into her main? This could have ended up with criminal charges for murder.

This guy does not have the correct mindset or responsibility to be a rigger IMO and should have his rigger's ticket stripped from him.
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

This guy does not have the correct mindset or responsibility to be a rigger IMO and should have his rigger's ticket stripped from him.

Losing a riggers ticket would be the LEAST of concerns if some dumb ass punk pulled that shit on me...you just don't 'play games' with people lives, somehow that wiring didn't get hooked up in this guy.

Knowingly mis-rigging a parachute not to open correctly and then laughing about it, is a textbook definition of a sociopath personality.

One needs to ask, if a person is capable of doing THAT, what else is in his bag of tricks that will be/has been done...not understanding or caring that a line of that magnitude should NEVER be crossed, is not a first time thing in an adult.

I sure wouldn't leave an open beer around him, no tell what ya might find in it later...:S

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

It spun up so fast and hard that I had a hard time getting my hand to the handle due to g forces...then the one cable did not clear...had to pull it out by hand, So I would say that since I did deal with all of that...I was qualified.

Sounds like he was trying to kill you.

Man reading this shit just makes me sick!

So someone doesn't like you or what you want to do so they try and kill you?

Let's be honest here that's what it is.

Say i don't like someone and i cut their break lines......and i brag about it....I'm sure I would be going to jail? And quick!

Sure you had your E break to stop the car but god forbid that the e break cable breaks you are dead!

There are some very self righteous folks in the world who think that they are gods voice of reason and logic here on earth. And last I knew you couldn't call God to the stand and cross examine him or her or it.

I highly suggest you walk away and find a new DZ and new friends and maybe contact a local police and if possible file an official complaint against this guy or girl. Because if this happens to someone else and that person goes in I......?

I'm sorry guys but there is no room in the world for this kind of shit. Some one this messed up needs to spend some time in a very small space for many years contemplating what they did wrong.
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

Why not out the idiot and let everyone know who NOT to deal with?

If I out him...and basically by looking at my profile, some people will KNOW who he is...but if I out him it will do no good. He is highly respected as a rigger and a tandem instructor at the Iowa and Chicago area DZ he jumps at. Even though I have a witness to the first time (who heard us discuss it) and the time he did it to a customer (I reamed him about it all the way home that night, in front of my son's), I KNOW it will do no good because not only do they support him...for the last several years I have not been going there with him, so they all think of me, exactly what he has told them. (Apparently he has been planning a divorce for a few years and telling people how awful I am...most of them have never even met me). I know this because I went with him to Taylorville (a club nearby that had a small boogie) last fall and a few people who have been jumping with him would not even look me in the eye (Jim S. in particular...you know who you are). It kills me...really it does because there is more that he has done, but I can't put out here and these people think he is terrific and have no idea of what he really is. As a matter of fact, I expect him to threaten me about this poll, but my preemptive strike to him is: "Don't make me take this further. Don't make me mention this to the Tandem instructor who told you, "That is the most line twists I have ever had in my life", or go to the DZ where it happened to ANOTHER TI that you were ticked off at (remember the story you told me last summer?).

I KNOW it will do no good because I am a bit of a whistle blower and no one ever listens...I just usually get a lot of threats and nasty grams from people who want to protect their status quo. Heck, even I did not realize just how screwed up all this was until a skydiver friend told me just how screwed up it was and that I should use it in the Divorce proceedings. I guess maybe I was protecting MY status quo since I was tied to the guy (for 15 years). Guilty (plus, embarrassing).
~"I am not afraid. I was born to do this"~

"Don't make me take this further. Don't make me mention this to the Tandem instructor who told you, "That is the most line twists I have ever had in my life", or go to the DZ where it happened to ANOTHER TI that you were ticked off at (remember the story you told me last summer?).

Am I reading this correctly? He intentionally packed a massive line twists to another TI he was pissed off?
Your rights end where my feelings begin.

"Don't make me take this further. Don't make me mention this to the Tandem instructor who told you, "That is the most line twists I have ever had in my life", or go to the DZ where it happened to ANOTHER TI that you were ticked off at (remember the story you told me last summer?).

Am I reading this correctly? He intentionally packed a massive line twists to another TI he was pissed off?

Yeah what?

I'm sorry maybe it's the very small group of folks I know in the sport but I thought every one who skydives is cool because well...we have to watch each others back or else someone dies.

But maybe I was wrong?

this thread makes me sick and very sad for the human race.
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

I thought every one who skydives is cool because well...we have to watch each others back or else someone dies.

You will hear people say all kinds of shit about skydiving being a brotherhood and we are all family. Well it just wishful thinking. It may have been that back in the day but by the mid 80’s it was fast fading.

You have the same cross section of people as the general population. Some good guys, some bad guys and everything in between. Make your decisions in skydiving with the same care you would away from the DZ.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

From my experience I have met some of the BEST people in the world skydiving...but I have also met some of the worst. Extreme sports are attractive to extreme personalities...and those personalities swing both ways. I have a few people who have my back and I will ALWAYS trust them, but I have also experienced a much larger amount of people who, as soon as it does not benefit them, they will not come near you. No matter what you have done for them in the past. (loaned them money for a reserve or a main...scraped them off the field and then helped them after...with walking, repair of their damaged gear {for free}...helped them get re-current). They do whatever it takes to benefit them...for whatever reason. Whether it is to get on staff or just to feel important...heck sometimes I can't figure out the motivation, but like I said. Extreme personalities.

There ARE some great people out there in this sport...I know it.

Ooh, this thread makes me very sad and afraid. But I know someone like this guy, well loved and respected, a textbook narcissist/sociopath who went to covert and dangerous lengths post-breakup. My half-pence: be nice, cut a very wide path, and document EVERYTHING. Nether feed nor tolerate the drama. Keep yourself safe because you can control that part.

Glad you are ok. I wouldn't let a guy like that near my children if I could help it. At least not unsupervised.
I don't need a parachute to fly...unless i want to fly twice.

It is messed up...and now that we are in the midst of a drawn out divorce (he did not even show up at the last court date...yet ANOTHER delay..the third caused by him), he thinks he can threaten my job. Says he will go to my employer because I sent him an email from work asking why he lies about everything. Probably not one of my smarter moves, but i spend about 10 hours a day there so not much spare time after. He is a piece of work all right.

I'd file a police report. While you're at it, have them take a look at the eyebrow-raising number of fatalities at the Chicago dropzone and see if he packed for any of them on the days their accidents happened.

Wait a minute. Which "Chicago dropzone" has caused your eyebrows to rise because of the number of fatalities?

I think if you have ANY proof that he did that intentionally then you should file a police report at the least, including an official complaint to the FAA, who will hopefully pull his ticket.
Considering that he has been planning the divorce for some time I would consider this as Assault (best case) or Attempted Murder (worst case).
What a piece of shit this guy is...he deserves to be in jail - scratch that. He deserves much worse! >:(

As for me and my house, we will serve the LORD...

Wait a minute. Which "Chicago dropzone" has caused your eyebrows to rise because of the number of fatalities?

Whoops! My bad! That story's ancient! That's the down side of connecting the dots on the Internet, you really need to keep a close eye on the dates of news. Stuff just never goes away...
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?