vanessa.potts

Why skydiving is the best sport ever

As a little girl I always went to the DZ with my dad and worked for the packers, but now that I'm 18 I've taken up jumping myself. I recently ordered all new gear, but wanted to buy a used main since I know I'll downsize in the future. Being a broke college student, paying any money at all was a burden. Today, my brother heard a girl at our DZ talking about a 170 up for sale, and had her call me. Our conversation went like this

Me: I heard you have a sabre 170 for sale? How much is it, what shape is it in?
Her: Well it's a good canopy, I'm just downsizing, has generally quick openings, but in about 100 jumps it'll need new lines. As far as price, I bought it for a case of beer, so being tradition, I guess you can buy it for a case of shiner?

BEST SPORT EVER

I love skydiving, but the people just can NOT be beat!

Anyone else have awesome stories of amazing skydivers?

The first 10 times or so I went to the DZ for my Cat A jump I couldn't do it for one reason or another, mainly weather. On the 11th day, wouldn't you know it, not enough people to put up a load up.

MY DZO, said, Brendan we're getting you up, and she sent up the Otter with just me and my two AFF instructors.

If only I could of appreciated how fast we got to altitude.:)
T

The first 10 times or so I went to the DZ for my Cat A jump I couldn't do it for one reason or another, mainly weather. On the 11th day, wouldn't you know it, not enough people to put up a load up.

MY DZO, said, Brendan we're getting you up, and she sent up the Otter with just me and my two AFF instructors.

If only I could of appreciated how fast we got to altitude.:)
T Oh nice! My DZ runs 24/7, but we have the type of owners who would do that for you! And I'm sure you passed your jump? :P

Sometimes it is the new people that make this the best sport ever.

Seeing you see the sport with new eyes is pretty cool too.B|

It's one thing being at the dz and on the ground, but it's a totally new experience when you finally get to become a jumper yourself! 18 didn't come fast enough :P

I too was the recipient of a pay-it-forward rig, although the gentleman who gave it to me found out that I had previously helped him out with a work related deal. It was very nice, we were discussing fair market value, he recognized me and gave me the rig with the stipulation that I do the same when I was done with it.

the weekend that I did my last jump for my A license my DZO called me up to manifest and asked me if I was looking to buy gear. I said yes, but that I wasnt exactly sure what I was going to buy or if I would buy new or used. He said he had a rig that would be great for me so I tried it on. the fit was great and even though it was a couple years old it only had 5 jumps on it. he said "well, what do you think? Do you want it?" I said yes, but I only had about a quarter of the money at the time. I sent the rig home with our rigger for an inspect and reserve repack. He brought it back the next weekend and said everything was in mint condition and ready to go. My DZO actually let me jump the rig for 3 weekends before I finally paid him the balance. in short, I got a great rig that fits me to a T with an awesome canopy in great condition for a great price! I couldnt believe it! Every jump I get on it gets better and better! To be quite honest, as much as I love this sport, if it wasnt for all the great people involved being positive and encouraging me and all the other newbies I dont know if I would have made it even this far. The family atmosphere really goes a long way for keeping new jumpers in the mix and motivated.

After a couple of decades in the sport, I've decided that jumpers are by nature no more supportive or generous than anyone else. But if that sounds cynical, I really don't mean it to be - rather, I like to think that most people are pretty nice when it comes down to it, and enjoy doing favours for others where they can.

A small community like skydiving just provides opportunities/ excuses to exercise our better natures, and it's cumulative - one good turn deserves another. :)

I would argue that skydivers are nicer to other people than most other groups because it is in their best interest to do so. We rely on each other to look each other's gear over in a high risk environment. That certainly fosters trust and goodwill.

I am more likely to take an interest in your well being if by doing so it creates a safer environment for me.
For the same reason I jump off a perfectly good diving board.

It's just people and a common interest, nothing magic about it. Skydiving is no more special in that regard than any other activity. And yes, most people are pretty nice and just need a reason to show it.

I'd like to chart that "we are special and wonderful" attitude against time in sport. I think the adrenaline boost simply creates a 'honeymoon' attitude with jumpers that have been in for a short time (like less than 5 or 10 years).

Leave a wallet or an audible out at a big commercial DZ and a newbie will find out pretty quickly that skydivers are just a cross section of humanity (i.e., 50% of people will let you know you left it out, 40% will do nothing, the other 10% will walk off with it or smash it just because they are idiots with poor senses of humor).

You'll likely get a much better correlation to decency and kindness by checking against locality.

That said - I find that MikeJD's comment is pretty much spot on. People are typically pretty nice when given opportunity to show it - any setting can show it.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants