Riverdome

Newb with typical ques - temp, stomach, ratings

Thank you for taking a moment to read a thread from a newb.

Have an opportunity to jump tandum at the end of October but of course have some questions.

Will be jumping from Tecumseh, MI so it's going to be chilly. Based on some threads I've read I'm expecting near 0 degree temps at jump height. If I am freezing all the way down I can't imagine I'll enjoy myself. Any recomendations?

I hate "spinny" rides and worry about my stomach. Anything I can do in order to keep my stomach out of my throat - again so I can enjoy the experience.

An alternative DZ is being discussed out of Bowling Green Ohio. That specific site doesn't appear to have any ratings or reviews here on dropzone. Should that be a red flag or bother me at all?

Is my instructor likely to allow me to jump with a good luck charm in my pocket? I don't want to rely on luck but would like to take a hockey puck with me as I scream towards the Earth?

Have fun and enjoy the ride! But to address some of your concerns, I can offer the following;
- yes, it will be cold. Bundle up but not too much. Your hands going numb will most likely be the biggest issue. Wear whatever you would normally use for staying warm on a cold and windy day.
- let your instructor know that you would prefer to not do any spins. Its a typical request.
- don't go out for heavy drinking the night before. Do whatever you normally do and you should be fine. You will quickly learn that the gas that goes in the plane isn't the only kind we use!
- I'd check to see that the other DZ was a USPA group member. And even if it is, use common sense. If it doesn't look and feel right it may not be. Drop by on a random day and see how they do business.
- you will probably be ok with a good luck charm in your pocket. But once again, talk to your instructor. I typacally tell people not to jump with anything they aren't preparred to lose. But there are ways to do it safely.

Have fun and blue skies!

D
The brave may not live forever, but the timid never live at all.

There is no DZ in Bowling Green. The last DZ in that area closed up years and years ago. There are pointers on scam sites that do not list actual details and are not in this database that will redirect you to an actual DZ after they take your money but might be sending you to Chicago or further.

Go to Tecumseh, MI. They are a good crew up there and will show you a great time! Call ahead to confirm they will be open due to the weather and a large amount of locals heading to Bridge Day the last weekend of October.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Will be jumping from Tecumseh, MI so it's going to be chilly. Based on some threads I've read I'm expecting near 0 degree temps at jump height. If I am freezing all the way down I can't imagine I'll enjoy myself. Any recomendations?

good chance you won't feel the cold until afterwards - your mind will be focused elsewhere. And it will warm up as you descend. But when you book, ask for advice on how much/what to wear.

I usually wore running shoes with cotton socks that are appropriate on the ground, and that doesn't cut it up there at speed.

I hate "spinny" rides and worry about my stomach. Anything I can do in order to keep my stomach out of my throat - again so I can enjoy the experience.

If you know you can get motions sickness, be sure to tell your TI to take it easy and why.

Under canopy avoid radical turns and avoid looking down at the ground. Look out to the horizon more than down.

Starting with my third jump I have used a prescription motion sickness medication. It is effective.
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”