rmsmith

Age 35, 11,000 jumps and low turn fatality?

Just read the older thread about the Perris fatality. There were some very good points made in that thread about "sight picture". The first time I competed at Perris in 2000 I was woefully unprepared for the pond. I, a Raeford guy, was used to dialing in my turn based on the sight picture I was used to at home. Tall pine trees, a flag pole, a very-well marked swoop lane. I used to throw my turn based on those land marks. The first time I threw a turn at Perris I was way too low, way too far back, and had to bail off to the side halfway across the pond. Jim Slaton laughed at me. It was at that meet that I learned that you MUST trust your devices and you cannot trust your senses. It really didn't matter since I still destroyed a canopy, piled in straight to the bottom of the pond and put an idiot lawyer in the hospital. There are ZERO references at the Perris pond. I've not competed professionally since 2005, but I never, ever take landing a parachute lightly.

D-12501

I forgot an important detail, 3:1 wing loading too. Usually by your thirties you become aware of your mortality. Plus I can't imagine that there are that many 35-yr/old with 11,000 jumps out there. Anyone?

there are LOADS of folks with that many jump numbers, a lot are still in there 20s.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?