Bodhisattva420

Softest Opening Canopy

Okay, I'll bite. The softest openings I've ever had were from the PD Spectre and Aerodyne's Pilot, both of which I have owned. The opening is like falling over backwards into bed, though both involve a good snivel. The Pilot's snivel is not so bad, the Spectre's is infamous (as in take along a good crossword puzzle....). My Pilot seems to open in 500 - 600 ft, the Spectre might take up to 800.

While we're on the topic, think about your reserve at terminal. PD makes two excellent reserves, the "old" PD Reserve, and the new Optimum. I've dumped both at terminal (a PD Reserve after a pilot chute in tow malfunction) and the Optimum as a main canopy for a demo jump. Both give you very quick, but quite comfortable openings, which is what you need from a reserve (the Optimum is incredible by the way and worth every penny of the higher price - you may change main canopies often, but a reserve is usually a long term keeper).

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

What's the softest opening canopy you've jumped? I'm looking to buy a new canopy and noticed the last thread on this topic is from 2005. Post away!

I would have to say.. my old school PISA now Aerodyne Triathlon.

I liked my old one so much that I bought a whole new rig to upsize to a new one for when my shoulder heals enough to jump again. Nice soft openings... nice soft landings...

My spectre opens super soft, sometimes scary soft, 1200 foot opening arent uncommon
:S

Doesn't anyone try unstowing the brakes when it takes so long? A very long time ago I had a canopy that seemed to not open until I did that, or at least I should say I never let it just go on sniveling for over 1000 feet. That was back when canopies never sniveled for long.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

A note on soft opening canopies--ANY canopy can open very hard. I feel confident in saying that there isn't a modern canopy that hasn't hammered someone. I have a few hundred spectre jumps, and one was a crusher. I hung in the saddle a while after opening. After landing I just sat there a while.

I recommend a Pilot as a solid performer, with very consistent, soft openings.

Again, no canopy is immune.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

Have you jumped a Sabre II before? I've been hearing really good things about the Spectre but was wondering how it compares to the Sabre II. I rented a Sabre II 170 @ the DZ one weekend when I was getting my canopy relined, and it opened REALLY soft, had some slider hang up ... wouldn't mind having some slider hang up every now and then!

I jump a pilot and they open really soft. My snivel is a long one 700-1000 ft(sometimes shorter though) but the openings are fantastic. Keep in mind i've only jumped a navigator, pilot, and sabre 2. so far the best openings are on my pilot. someone recommended hma instead of spectra but i jump my pilot with spectra and my openings are nice and soft. I'm still new so i don't know what difference it would make but this is just my 2 cents
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, all used up, and loudly proclaiming: Wow, what a ride!

The first canopy I ever had that was mine: 7 cell Triathlon 210, the second canopy: 7 cell Triathlon 190; My third canopy: PISA Hornet 170, 7 cell semi elipitacal. All of them opened great & flew well.
-Richard-
"You're Holding The Rope And I'm Taking The Fall"

Have you jumped a Sabre II before? I've been hearing really good things about the Spectre but was wondering how it compares to the Sabre II. I rented a Sabre II 170 @ the DZ one weekend when I was getting my canopy relined, and it opened REALLY soft, had some slider hang up ... wouldn't mind having some slider hang up every now and then!

Sabre2s can open soft, but they can also open hard, and anywhere in between. I understand it to be pretty sensitive to packing.

I'm told it's especially sensitive to how the slider is quartered, particularly the sides being pulled out properly.
I pull the sides of the slider well out and make sure it stays put during the rest of the pack job. That gives me openings that are pretty consistenly soft.
But I don't have a whole lot of jumps on it.

I've had it slam me once or twice, once really hard from a paid packer.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

My top list of soft opening canopies would be something like this:

Neos-99 (when it doesn't open hard, have not tried any with the fix).
Crossfire2-129
Safire2-139
Storm 135(?)
JVX-90
Scirocco-77
Crossfire2-119
Safire2-119

Its been too long since I jumped a spectre to know where it would go in the list, but probably near the Storm.

Of these, I can only recommend a Safire2 or Storm to someone with few jump numbers.

I've also only jumped one of each kind and all canopies are a bit different.

Sabre2s can open soft, but they can also open hard, and anywhere in between. I understand it to be pretty sensitive to packing..

just like any other canopy... I can even pack slammers on a Crossfire if you ask me to. But I generally try to do it the other way around :D
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

What about Atair Radical? The Radical also incorporates
the Atair 2 Stage Opening Technology, originally used on the Atair Cobalt Canopy, which provides soft predictable on heading openings. This means all center cells are ported but there is no porting between 3 center cells and outher cells.
In my expirience (200 jumps on Radical 135) - faster you go it opens slower.