flytodeath

My Second Tandem & Thoughts

So I opted to do a second tandem instead of jumping into AFF. (The first jump was just so hazy I really felt I needed to do it again.)

On this tandem we practiced some turns and the TI was going to let me pull and steer the canopy which was cool. But I felt so awkward in the air and at some point we were spinning...and spinning...and spinning...not just turning left and right. It felt odd and I couldn't tell if it was intentional on his part or if I was doing something weird with my body and he was adjusting to me being awkward in the air. :S

There was a point where he clamped his legs around mine so I'm guessing my arch was possibly bad too?

When came time to pull I fumbled around found the handle and could NOT pull it! I didn't have a lot of time to mess around obviously but I don't understand why I couldn't pull it! I'm not sure if I was just spaghetti arming it or just surprised at how much resistance it was putting up. I find it hard to believe it's just really hard to pull.

Under canopy I wasn't nauseous this time but after leaving the DZ I was! That seems very strange.

I had little to no anxiety in the plane ride up and jumping out - nothing at all like the shaky hands I experienced in the first jump.

But this time under canopy I felt extremely nervous and I do not know why. I was afraid to move my hands from the harness but I managed and did steer the canopy some.

The TI said I did a good job (is there a skeptical face?) and when I voiced my concern about not being able to release the chute he said that I was "getting it but we ran out of time and had other things to do."

I don't think I was getting it at all!

All in all I feel disappointed in myself. I know it was just a tandem but the little bit of freedom granted and I feel like I really messed it up. Is someone this scatterbrained ready for AFF?? I don't really want to fly to death. :|

Oh and one other thing. My ears pop pretty easily in the plane and during the canopy ride but later on after I'd left the DZ they kind of clogged and it was painful to pop them and they clogged again and still feel kind of funny. Is that...normal?

:) Thanks for responding to a newbie, skydivers!

Sounds like your normal, go take a first jump class or do a third tdm, nothing wrong with that and stop trying to pop your ears before you damage them, they will pop on their own in other words don't force it.
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

I don't really want to fly to death.

Haha, yeah probably not the best username you could have picked! But i'd keep it if you decide to continue jumping, it will keep people guessing!;)

All in all, it sounds like you have a lot of questions about your jump that unfortunately only the instructor that went with you can answer.

How much pre-jump training did you receive (time)? Did you tell them that you were doing a second tandem because you were interested in possibly doing AFF? What were the specific skills your TI wanted you to accomplish on the jump (altitude awareness, practice ripcord touches) other than the turns that you had mentioned?

I totally understand that TI's are busy, but they should have debriefed you a little more if you told them you were thinking about doing AFF and what you could do better/ improve next time.

All in all I feel disappointed in myself

Well in a nut shell, don't. I still make mistakes, everyone does. Don't beat yourself up or dwell on your past jumps, your doing this because it is fun right? Keep that in mind, you did learn something from the jump, you didn't get hurt, and will do better next time.

My ears pop pretty easily in the plane and during the canopy ride but later on after I'd left the DZ they kind of clogged and it was painful to pop them and they clogged again and still feel kind of funny. Is that...normal?

It's normal for some people (me) and abnormal for others. After my first tandem, one of my ears did not pop and it stayed clogged and painful (gradually getting worse) for nearly 3 hours after, it actually caused some inner ear damage. I have to clear my ears after nearly every jump now because of it. If it doesn't feel right, something is probably wrong and I'd always suggest seeing a qualified doctor.

Lots of people valsalva during periods of increased pressure of the inner ear (scuba diving, descending in an airplane). Most people don't have a problem when going up, it coming down that is usually painful. It's also good to note that if you have a cold or sinus issues to not jump, as you could have serious issues with your sinuses. I've always found it helpful when clearing my ears to tilt my head to one side (like try to touch an ear to my shoulder) and then valsalva as it opens up your tube that is pointing to the sky (A USAF Physiologist taught me that).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valsalva_maneuver
We're not fucking flying airplanes are we, no we're flying a glorified kite with no power and it should be flown like one! - Stratostar

chill out, new guy... this not a sport where you are expected to get an A+ on every jump...it took me 13 jumps to finish a 7-level course, and I am still ragged and sloppy as all hell...cut yourself some slack, take a deep breath, and just-do-it! it gets better with every jump!!!

Airtwardo:"There is a bit of difference between a rigger with a nipper and a guy with 138 jumps and a swiss army knife...usually!"

All in all, it sounds like you have a lot of questions about your jump that unfortunately only the instructor that went with you can answer.

How much pre-jump training did you receive (time)? Did you tell them that you were doing a second tandem because you were interested in possibly doing AFF? What were the specific skills your TI wanted you to accomplish on the jump (altitude awareness, practice ripcord touches) other than the turns that you had mentioned?

I totally understand that TI's are busy, but they should have debriefed you a little more if you told them you were thinking about doing AFF and what you could do better/ improve next time.

I feel like the TI did a great job, honestly. I did tell them I was thinking of taking AFF but wanted to do a second tandem for the reason I posted here. He kept me well informed about everything that was happening. Once we landed though, yea he was busy and there was another load waiting, and I didn't have a chance to really ask questions about what happened. He just said I should do AFF if I like skydiving!

All in all I feel disappointed in myself

Well in a nut shell, don't. I still make mistakes, everyone does. Don't beat yourself up or dwell on your past jumps, your doing this because it is fun right? Keep that in mind, you did learn something from the jump, you didn't get hurt, and will do better next time.

Thanks...I'm trying not to. The first jump was a joy ride and this one was a little unpleasant but I think that's important. Not being able to pull the handle is really bothering me though and my freezing up under canopy afraid to let go of the harness. What is that!? Gah!

It's normal for some people (me) and abnormal for others. After my first tandem, one of my ears did not pop and it stayed clogged and painful (gradually getting worse) for nearly 3 hours after, it actually caused some inner ear damage. I have to clear my ears after nearly every jump now because of it. If it doesn't feel right, something is probably wrong and I'd always suggest seeing a qualified doctor.

My right ear still feels funky. I'm going to give it a few days and if it's still weird to the doc I shall go!

Hey thanks for your response!

What were the specific skills your TI wanted you to accomplish on the jump (altitude awareness, practice ripcord touches) other than the turns that you had mentioned?

Did you guys practice pulling on the ground, did you do some in the air practice as well before pull time?

Not being able to pull the handle is really bothering me though and my freezing up under canopy afraid to let go of the harness. What is that!? Gah!

Practice, practice, practice. Very few do well, when the first time they are have to do something is under stress without through practice first.

I've had a pretty mean looking, burly biker dude not want to help me fly the canopy, but on the ground we was back to 6'4" and a badass in front of his friends! haha. It happens, it's what you do next time that will make the difference.

It may depend on your area, but if you are looking at doing AFF, be sure to check out other DZ's in your area to see if you like the vibe, service, equipment, planes, Instructors and/or facilities better before forking over some cash. Some people have options, but never go looking anywhere else because they did their "first" tandem someplace. Don't get to attached to one place before you check out the rest (if any).
We're not fucking flying airplanes are we, no we're flying a glorified kite with no power and it should be flown like one! - Stratostar

Never done one myself but looking at the video from a couple of family members, it looks like at least some tandem instructors like the spinning. Some of it was the cameraman flying too, but I'm pretty sure I saw some spinning in there.

The first few AFF jumps, you have two dudes holding on to you, which will contribute greatly to your stability. Relaxing helps a good bit too, though this may seem like an unreasonable request on your first few AFF jumps.

If you're really concerned about your stability and control, you could spend some time in a wind tunnel if there's one near you. I did some time in one between AFF 1 and 2 and it really helped a lot. I find tunnel time to be entertaining in its own right. I actually got to do some stuff beyond just flailing around on my belly last time I was in there, and I had a blast with it. Spring for the video too -- you'll learn a lot more with it.

Can't tell you why the pull would have been hard. Maybe your angle on it was just funny or something.

Ears popping is different for everyone. If you have a cold or allergies and are congested, it might become more difficult. If they're actually painful, consult a doctor. You might have something else going on in there (Maybe an infection or something.) You might have dislodged some ear wax too, and again your doctor can get that out for you if that's the case.

Mostly I think you just need to relax about your skydiving performance. This isn't a competition. Everyone learns at their own pace, and your early dives will in no way indicate how good or bad a skydiver you're likely to be. Take it at the pace it needs to be taken at, and you'll get more out of it.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

What were the specific skills your TI wanted you to accomplish on the jump (altitude awareness, practice ripcord touches) other than the turns that you had mentioned?

Did you guys practice pulling on the ground, did you do some in the air practice as well before pull time?

Turning right and left, altitude awareness, and the ripcord. We did a quick practice on the ground for the turns (standing up) and he showed me where the handle was.

Practice, practice, practice. Very few do well, when the first time they are have to do something is under stress without through practice first.

It wasn't that I couldn't find it I just couldn't budge it! I'm not that weak! (I don't think?!#!!) :)

It may depend on your area, but if you are looking at doing AFF, be sure to check out other DZ's in your area to see if you like the vibe, service, equipment, planes, Instructors and/or facilities better before forking over some cash. Some people have options, but never go looking anywhere else because they did their "first" tandem someplace. Don't get to attached to one place before you check out the rest (if any).

My first tandem jump was fun but I chose not to return to that DZ for other reasons.The one I went to this time was very professional and they also have a windtunnel so I think that'll be the place I stay.

Thanks again!

Never done one myself but looking at the video from a couple of family members, it looks like at least some tandem instructors like the spinning. Some of it was the cameraman flying too, but I'm pretty sure I saw some spinning in there.

I thought about that and that def could have been what it was. After we were stable and under canopy he mentioned that we were "kind of far" from the DZ. I didn't really know if that was normal or not or if we went spinning crazily out into the sky.

The first few AFF jumps, you have two dudes holding on to you, which will contribute greatly to your stability. Relaxing helps a good bit too, though this may seem like an unreasonable request on your first few AFF jumps.

Yea I know that will help a lot I'm afraid to think of what I'd do with my body out there alone. I was very tense in the air trying to remember everything. (y'know, turning - haha!)

If you're really concerned about your stability and control, you could spend some time in a wind tunnel if there's one near you. I did some time in one between AFF 1 and 2 and it really helped a lot. I find tunnel time to be entertaining in its own right. I actually got to do some stuff beyond just flailing around on my belly last time I was in there, and I had a blast with it. Spring for the video too -- you'll learn a lot more with it.

The DZ I was at has a windtunnel so I stopped by to spectate later on after my jump. People were doing amazing things in there. The ground training at this DZ includes 6 minutes of tunnel time too.

Can't tell you why the pull would have been hard. Maybe your angle on it was just funny or something.

I hope that's all it was.

Mostly I think you just need to relax about your skydiving performance. This isn't a competition. Everyone learns at their own pace, and your early dives will in no way indicate how good or bad a skydiver you're likely to be. Take it at the pace it needs to be taken at, and you'll get more out of it.

Thanks! I was mostly upset because it made me feel like on a jump where I wasn't strapped to someone I would just fly on my back until my instructor turned me around, pulled my chute for me, then watch me sail off into the sun. [:/]

I hope that's all it was.

Did you ask your tandem instructor about it? I've always been able to find the hackey and never had any problem pulling it. It's snug in there, but comes out nicely without a huge amount of force. Hard pulls do occasionally happen, but it sounds like your tandem instructor deployed OK.

It does seem like something that would be sensitive to angle, and it also seems like the tandem student position is already a fairly awkward angle.

Thanks! I was mostly upset because it made me feel like on a jump where I wasn't strapped to someone I would just fly on my back until my instructor turned me around, pulled my chute for me, then watch me sail off into the sun. [:/]

Nah, it's nothing like that. Especially once you've done your 6 minutes of tunnel time. If you can be stable in the tunnel, you can be stable in the air. That's actually pretty nice, the DZ having their own tunnel. If it weren't for the unique instruction I can get in the tunnel, I'd rather just jump out of an airplane than drive to South Denver (Jumping out of an airplane is probably safer.)

By the time you get to the AFF jump where they actually let go of you, you'll be good and ready for them to let go of you. You might not even notice it. By the level 6 and 7 jumps, flips and barrel rolls should be more fun than scary.

You can get a pretty good idea of my progression if you pop 'round to my youtube channel. It's not particularly "interesting" for most people, but you can see how I flail around in my first tunnel video and early AFF jumps and how I actually might seem to look like I know what I'm doing in the one from last week. You can also see how much my sister and niece improve in 7 minutes in that last wind tunnel video. https://www.youtube.com/user/FlyingRhenquest
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?