kallend

Landing a Mr. Bill.

well said winsor
couldnt agree more

i think everyone is somewhat aware of their limits, and after spending most of the WFFC talking to mcbain and john they seemed to have known what they were doing- regaurdless of jump #'s. hell i'd try something crazy with only a few jumps if i was confident enough in myself. (dont worry i wont) although i can see everyone who disagrees with what they did's point, i dont think they would have tried it if they thought someone could possibly get hurt. just a couple of good guys trying to have a good time- maybe it was the wrong time/wrong place but they did it didn't they?! and noone got hurt.

good luck to the next people that attempt it! ;)
wont be me[:/][:/]

babababa bLUE SKIES!
~justi

~boogie ho!!
pull before impact!
L.A.S.T#14, PMS #309, Ci EL O DI O SA

good luck to the next people that attempt it!

As I'm sure people will try.

Just as a note to everyone, it is a stunt that is against the USPA BSR's specifiacly this one:

Section 2-1 G. Minimum opening altitudes [E]

Minimum container opening altitudes above the ground for skydivers are:

1. Tandem jumps--4,500 feet AGL

2. All students and A-license holders--3,000 feet AGL

3. B-license holders--2,500 feet AGL

4. C- and D-license holders--2,000 feet AGL

Waiverable only by....

b. Executive Committee of the USPA Board only [E]

So kids make sure you try it only at a NON USPA DZ.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Thanks a lot!!!!!! For those who seeing it conclude that it's no big deal and no safety threat, just reread the previous pages...

Keep in mind the camera narrows your field of view so you don't see everything else that's going on around you.

Like the GK side by side CRW landing that happened just by it?

It is just me, or does the dismount, where the top jumper pulls back on the front risers, look super sketchy? I'm glad they pulled it off, and for all visual appearances it's a grand stunt, but I'm thinking that landing might have been one "oops, we didn't think about that" away from heroes.

Hey, maybe I just don't know that pulling the front line groups like that during landing is harmless. (Glad he wasn't holding onto the rears - that could have been really exciting.)

I asked about that in the other thread.

It is a grand stunt. Granted.

But with about 400 pounds suspended on a PD210, I'd think that CrazyJohnThePacker could have missed one line group and hooked the whole contraption in.

I have no problem with that. It should simply be done where I am not trying to land, the FAA does not know, and the general public cannot see. Edit for spelling and to add ..and where there is a video camera on a tripod.

good luck to the next people that attempt it!

As I'm sure people will try.

Just as a note to everyone, it is a stunt that is against the USPA BSR's specifiacly this one:

Section 2-1 G. Minimum opening altitudes [E]

Minimum container opening altitudes above the ground for skydivers are:

1. Tandem jumps--4,500 feet AGL

2. All students and A-license holders--3,000 feet AGL

3. B-license holders--2,500 feet AGL

4. C- and D-license holders--2,000 feet AGL

Waiverable only by....

Why? Nobody opened below the hard deck.

Because unlike the FAA's rules which don't say you must actually open a parachute at all, I interperate the BSR's to mean Minimum container opening altitudes above the ground no matter what the speed. Otherwise the action was a "Tandem Skidive" and was definately in violation of both BSR's and FAR's.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Because unlike the FAA's rules which don't say you must actually open a parachute at all, I interperate the BSR's to mean Minimum container opening altitudes above the ground no matter what the speed. Otherwise the action was a "Tandem Skidive" and was definately in violation of both BSR's and FAR's.

Tanedm skydive? They were both wearing approved, in-date dual container parachute systems. They just landed under the same parachute, and it was open per BSRs.

Badly worded rule, isn't it.

Suggests if you have a total and haven't managed to get your reserve container open by the hard deck, you shouldn't open it at all. Better to bounce than open below the hard deck.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

And if I recall - the WFFC is NOT a USPA DZ.

And if I recall - the WFFC is NOT a USPA DZ.

That is correct - but, members of USPA or not, dropzones (not all) do tend follow the BSRs even if they are not members. The BSRs were created by trial and error. Why not go with the experience?

Tanedm skydive? They were both wearing approved, in-date dual container parachute systems. They just landed under the same parachute, and it was open per BSRs.

Since they were riding on the same parachute, they'd be in violation since they were (theoritically) jumping two single harness dual parachute systems, an 'experimental' animal I'd say. Now, if they were jumping a Tandem system (dual harness, dual - main/reserve - parachute), and the passenger was unlatched and then rode down on the TMs shoulders, that (in theory) would be legal since it's a dual harness, dual parachute system, right? They were following the letter of the rules...

Since they were riding on the same parachute, they'd be in violation since they were (theoritically) jumping two single harness dual parachute systems, an 'experimental' animal I'd say. Now, if they were jumping a Tandem system (dual harness, dual - main/reserve - parachute), and the passenger was unlatched and then rode down on the TMs shoulders, that (in theory) would be legal since it's a dual harness, dual parachute system, right? They were following the letter of the rules...

Actually, no.

Some time ago, when tandems had a higher age restriction (I don't recall what it was - I've never made a tandem jump), this age restriction was circumvented by having the passenger/student in an appropriate parachute harness, attached to the tandem master.

This was researched pretty carefully beforehand, and was done (repeatedly) in accordance with BSRs and FARs.

The BSR does NOT say you must open above a given altitude, it says you CANNOT open below that altitude.

A tandem passenger/student on the shoulders of the tandem master is in violation of SOPs and thus either or both FARs and BSRs.

Regardless of whether it was a good idea or not, landing the Mr. Bill did not, in and of itself, break any rules.

Blue skies,

Winsor

For that comment, he should be grounded. Period. No dropzone needs a possibly suicidal guy in the air, let alone a hotshot 100 jump chump who makes stupid ass decisions like that and disregards everyone else's safety just as much as his own.

Somebody pull this guy's silver before he gets on a plane this weekend.

Somebody just hand him a loaded pistol. There's easier and less expensive ways of going about what he's trying to do.

I was reading through this, and what's funny is my brother made a similar comment about skydiving. I have never jumped with him just because he made that comment.