kallend

Landing a Mr. Bill.

Kind of new here. What is "Landing a Mr. Bill"?

Mr. Bill is named for the old Saturday Night Claymation series figure "Mr. Bill". Mr. Bill always said "Oh, noooo"

In skydiving, two people exit linked and one dumps their canopy sub-terminal, the other tries to hang on. Then, after a while, the second person drops off and deploys.

In this case, the second person stood on the shoulders of the first until 3 feet off the ground, then jumped off.

I don't think it's as unusual as many of you seem to think... The first one I can remember seeing was probably Jimmy Tyler on his first chuteless jump when he flew over to another jumper and hooked onto his harness with B12 snaps. They both landed under a single round canopy.

Not too many years ago this one done on a jump from the New River Gorge Bridge at bridge day...

I did a lot of mr. bill's when they first started coming out. The Golden Knights claimed to have successfully done them at terminal velocity (using Unit III's I believe). It's not surprising that many people tried this sort of thing back then.
If some old guy can do it then obviously it can't be very extreme. Otherwise he'd already be dead.
Bruce McConkey 'I thought we were gonna die, and I couldn't think of anyone

I heard John King (the packer) and McBain talking about doing it at LP,

Yep.

One of the single dumbest things I've ever seen. Nice video, but stupid.

Not a violation of the FAR's as both jumpers were wearing apropriately rated equipment for sport jumping, but a BSR violation for sure for the jumper who landed un-opened.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

McDeath
McDivot
McCrater
McIdiot
McDumb
McNottalkingtoMathias

One question......What's a "Hay Truck"?

Team Crater in the house! (Aftyer they figgure out the door knob....:D
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

I don't know the jumpers in question, but is it really just Stoo-piditi? I read the title of the thread "Landing a Mr. Bill." and I thought:

"Woa! Cool! Someone landed a Mr. Bill!"

Not: "Woa! Stupid! Some idiot landed a Mr. Bill!"

I would not be opposed to trying this out with someone I trusted.

My Karma ran over my Dogma!!!

No. STOP. Absolutely not. NO.

Doing really weird stuff like this or a McConkle (sp?) takes three things:
1. A boatload of forethought.
2. Two boatloads of experience.
3. Large brass cajones.

With all three, it is still NOT recommended for ANYONE. Anyone. It is a bad idea.

People don't (or shouldn't) say, "I've never tried BASE, I'll just go do it." They shouldn't do that with any other part of the sport either. Even with advice and skill, some stuff is still a bad idea.

I watched the last about 300 feet of it from the BirdMan tent sitting in a chair. I watched slack-jawed as John stood on the other guy's shoulders at around 150 feet and was hanging onto what appeared to be either the B or C lines of the pilot's canopy. He was going "woo hoo, woo hoo!" I didn't see the dismount since they flew down past the organizer tent, but by all accounts the landing was uneventful. John had his packing tent set up right behind my RV at the convention. They did not appear to be coming in at any break-neck speed, even under the 210 canopy.

Chuck

Chuck, the pilot in this case has around a hundred jumps, I'm figuring, cause he had less than a hundred just a short while ago when asking how he could go about getting a sub-100 Velocity/similar.

When I suggested he might take just a few hundred jumps before moving to the swoop tour he asked me where he would be allowed to do what he wanted, and I told him. (Definitely not BAS)

I said "Dude, you could die." He replied "I want to die!" He hasn't connected that his complete disregard for his own safety is complete disregard for everyone else in the air's as well.

I'm thinking the mixed reactions of Stupid/Cool here will result in more attempts. After all the effort made to make our containers and canopies safe, we've still got an element that insists on making skydiving even more death-defying.

I didn't see the dismount since they flew down past the organizer tent, but by all accounts the landing was uneventful.

About 15 feet off the ground, he grabbed the riser covers and hung down. When the canopy pilots feet were 3-4 feet off the ground, he let go with a little forward momentum and did a PLF/forward roll.

I was in the landing area watching as they turned on final.

Less than 2 minutes before, a guy made a crosswinded landing and cut off another jumper. The other jumper was forced to make a crosswind landing also.

If they had landed 90 seconds earlier, it would have been extremely difficult to land crosswind that way.

don't think it's as unusual as many of you seem to think... The first one I can remember seeing was probably Jimmy Tyler on his first chuteless jump when he flew over to another jumper and hooked onto his harness with B12 snaps. They both landed under a single round canopy.

The canopy they used was a Raven IV, 266 sq. ft., with Jimmy suspended 12 feet below Bill Parsons.
Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Wow. Surely you cant be serious! [:/]

I have about 1/8 the number of jumps you do and I can see so many reasons why this is not a good idea! There are people here with thousands of jumps saying its not a good idea, but you still want to try it - if you trust the other jumper?

I hope I dont have to read about you in the incidents forum after you get to 100' AGL and lose your grip. :S
www.TerminalSports.com.auAustralia's largest skydive gear store

But it sure was sad to see so many people running up to them telling them how cool it was. I think the group over at the freefly tent was one of the only groups to verbally express to them that they are candidates for the "dumbass of the year" award.

Stupid stunt with stupidly low experience.
Oh, hello again!

But it sure was sad to see so many people running up to them telling them how cool it was. I think the group over at the freefly tent was one of the only groups to verbally express to them that they are candidates for the "dumbass of the year" award.

I'd vote for them for the "dumbass of the decade" award.

I'd vote for them for the "dumbass of the decade" award.

It's just a matter of degree. I expect you have whuffo friends who consider you a dumbass for skydiving at all.

I think they would have shown better judgement to land it in a less crowded area, though.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

It's just a matter of degree. I expect you have whuffo friends who consider you a dumbass for skydiving at all.

You're right. I do have many friends who think I'm nuts. I'm also all about pushing the envelope and I do and I love it. However, I just don't see what happened as being something productive to the sport and something to encourage others to do. Common sense comes into play with everything and I dare say there's a very high probablility that someone will die attempting to do what they did and it will reflect very negatively on us as a whole. Possibly leading to further restriction rather than more freedom.

I think they would have shown better judgement to land it in a less crowded area, though.

Very true!

Chuck, the pilot in this case has around a hundred jumps, I'm figuring, cause he had less than a hundred just a short while ago when asking how he could go about getting a sub-100 Velocity/similar.

Stupid fuck.

When I suggested he might take just a few hundred jumps before moving to the swoop tour he asked me where he would be allowed to do what he wanted, and I told him. (Definitely not BAS)

Once again, stupid fuck.

I said "Dude, you could die." He replied "I want to die!" He hasn't connected that his complete disregard for his own safety is complete disregard for everyone else in the air's as well.

For that comment, he should be grounded. Period. No dropzone needs a possibly suicidal guy in the air, let alone a hotshot 100 jump chump who makes stupid ass decisions like that and disregards everyone else's safety just as much as his own.

Somebody pull this guy's silver before he gets on a plane this weekend.

Wrong Way
D #27371 Mal Manera Rodriguez Cajun Chicken Ø Hellfish #451
The wiser wolf prevails.

Just to play devils advocate.
Landing a VX 39? Insane?Dangerous?

Landing on the Back of a Speeding motorcycle?Stupid? Insane?

Lighting your canopy on fire with a flare gun? Stupid Insane?

Jumping from a Plane without a parachute:o Stupid? Insane?

Docking and climbing into as plane from Free Fall? Stupid? Insane?

Swooping down a mountain at break neck speeds? Stupid? Insane?

Shall I go on?

This is a Daredevil Sport.If this had been done by the folks that made the aforementioned jumps would everyone still be saying the same....:S

Again just playing Devils Advocate...

MAKE EVERY DAY COUNT
Life is Short and we never know how long we are going to have. We must live life to the fullest EVERY DAY. Everything we do should have a greater purpose.

For that comment, he should be grounded. Period. No dropzone needs a possibly suicidal guy in the air, let alone a hotshot 100 jump chump who makes stupid ass decisions like that and disregards everyone else's safety just as much as his own.

Somebody pull this guy's silver before he gets on a plane this weekend.

Somebody just hand him a loaded pistol. There's easier and less expensive ways of going about what he's trying to do.