kallend

Landing a Mr. Bill.

It happened at WFFC, the FAA, S&TA and a few other people went to talk to the parties about possible FAR violations. Interesting concept, breaking a FAR by landing a Mr. Bill because you were not jumping a tandem rig...
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

It happened at WFFC, the FAA, S&TA and a few other people went to talk to the parties about possible FAR violations. Interesting concept, breaking a FAR by landing a Mr. Bill because you were not jumping a tandem rig...

It sounds ironic because Tandem Rigs are kind of "extra-FAR status", aren't they? That is, aren't they still in an "experimental" exception to the regular rules?

Thinking about some FARs that could be in question, it seems the jumpers here would be OK because they presumably each had an FAA-certified-rigger-packed reserve on their back that they didn't intend to use except in case of emergency.

However, maybe we are required by the FARs to remain within the operational limits of our reserve canopy/harness container as specified by the manufacturer. Of course, many of us regularly exceed the max deployment speed while in freefall - just not at opening time. I wonder how fine-tooth the comb would have to be to allow freeflying but not allow landing (or deploying?) a Mr. Bill.

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

Tandems are now covered under Part 105. If both jumpers left the plane with a legal single harness dual parachute system on they should be legal. Now where in the FAR's can I remember it saying you had to open either one of the canopies. jmo
Sparky

PS: a real dumb thing to do.
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

wow! balls of steel. who's got the video?

I've got the video. I'll post it when I get home when I've got a bit more time. Bottom line, this was the best display of stupid human tricks so far at the WFFC. Hopefully, this is the last.
-----
~~~Michael

real technicality here. The rule reads: one person, single harness, dual parachute (main/reserve) system or two people, dual harness, dual parachute (one main/one reserve) system. the literal reading, these two violated the FARs.
-----
~~~Michael

real technicality here. The rule reads: one person, single harness, dual parachute (main/reserve) system or two people, dual harness, dual parachute (one main/one reserve) system. the literal reading, these two violated the FARs.

The rule reads:

§ 105.43 Use of single-harness, dual-parachute systems.No person may conduct a parachute operation using a single-harness, dual-parachute system, and no pilot in command of an aircraft may allow any person to conduct a parachute operation from that aircraft using a single-harness, dual-parachute system, unless that system has at least one main parachute, one approved reserve parachute, and one approved single person harness and container that are packed as follows:

§ 105.45 Use of tandem parachute systems. (a) No person may conduct a parachute operation using a tandem parachute system, and no pilot in command of an aircraft may allow any person to conduct a parachute operation from that aircraft using a tandem parachute system, unless—(1) One of the parachutists using the tandem parachute system is the parachutist in command, and meets the following requirements:(i) Has a minimum of 3 years of experience in parachuting, and must provide documentation that the parachutist—(ii) Has completed a minimum of 500 freefall parachute jumps using a ram-air parachute, and§ 105.45 Use of tandem parachute systems. (a) No person may conduct a parachute operation using a tandem parachute system, and no pilot in command of an aircraft may allow any person to conduct a parachute operation from that aircraft using a tandem parachute system, unless—(1) One of the parachutists using the tandem parachute system is the parachutist in command, and meets the following requirements:(i) Has a minimum of 3 years of experience in parachuting, and must provide documentation that the parachutist—(ii) Has completed a minimum of 500 freefall parachute jumps using a ram-air parachute, and......
No where does it say anything about one person, single harness........ or two people, dual harness.....
In any case, when they left the aircraft they were both wearing a legal rig. And no where does it say a jumper wearing a single harness, dual parachute system or a dual harness, dual parachute system must deploy either one.:P
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

The rule reads:

§ 105.43 Use of single-harness, dual-parachute systems.No person may conduct a parachute operation using a single-harness, dual-parachute system, and no pilot in command of an aircraft may allow any person to conduct a parachute operation from that aircraft using a single-harness, dual-parachute system, unless that system has at least one main parachute, one approved reserve parachute, and one approved single person harness and container that are packed as follows:

§ 105.45 Use of tandem parachute systems. (a) No person may conduct a parachute operation using a tandem parachute system, and no pilot in command of an aircraft may allow any person to conduct a parachute operation from that aircraft using a tandem parachute system, unless—(1) One of the parachutists using the tandem parachute system is the parachutist in command, and meets the following requirements:(i) Has a minimum of 3 years of experience in parachuting, and must provide documentation that the parachutist—(ii) Has completed a minimum of 500 freefall parachute jumps using a ram-air parachute, and§ 105.45 Use of tandem parachute systems. (a) No person may conduct a parachute operation using a tandem parachute system, and no pilot in command of an aircraft may allow any person to conduct a parachute operation from that aircraft using a tandem parachute system, unless—(1) One of the parachutists using the tandem parachute system is the parachutist in command, and meets the following requirements:(i) Has a minimum of 3 years of experience in parachuting, and must provide documentation that the parachutist—(ii) Has completed a minimum of 500 freefall parachute jumps using a ram-air parachute, and......
No where does it say anything about one person, single harness........ or two people, dual harness.....
In any case, when they left the aircraft they were both wearing a legal rig. And no where does it say a jumper wearing a single harness, dual parachute system or a dual harness, dual parachute system must deploy either one.:P

I'm not a lawyer not do I play one on TV, but I agree. 105.43 seems to be the applicable rule, and it was not violated. I don't see that 105.45 applies to this case. The FARs say nothing about minimum opening altitudes, opening at all, or landings. If this was illegal operation, then ANY Mr. Bill at any altitude is equally illegal.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I expect it had been done before, does anyone know?

Saw it once in Illinois in the late 70's,
into a lake...:o

With the flight characteristics of the canopies then...
and the size of the guys doing it...:S

If it HADN'T been into water,
they probably wouldn't have 'walked away'!:(

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Chatted with a lawyer in the internet cafe while he was here. It will depend on whose opinion on the reading you follow. In any case, the 2004 WFFC Stupid Human Trick award goes to...

105.5 is a catch-all

"Sec. 105.5 General.

No person may conduct a parachute operation, and no pilot in command
of an aircraft may allow a parachute operation to be conducted from an
aircraft, if that operation creates a hazard to air traffic or to
persons or property on the surface."

FAA regularly uses these general clauses to screw anyone they're pissed at.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

...and no pilot in command of an aircraft may allow..

I don't know how it is now...
especially with the Homeland Security Act,

But back in my wise ass bandit days,
that was really the only part of 105 with any teeth.

Following an "unscheduled" jump into a parking lot
gathering near a sizable but 'not busy' airport,
an 'admirer' was asking some pointed questions...

I asked him to identify himself in regard to which
organization he was affiliated with...
To which he responded;
"The FAA"... displayed credentials
and continued,
"You need to come with me
and answer some questions"

I told him that as a private citizen not
operating an aircraft or having a license
issued BY the FAA...
I would be declining his request.

And since he held no 'Power of Arrest', any attempt
to detain me would be a violation of my Constitutional
Rights...

I left before someone WITH power of arrest came along,
and before he could consult with any colleagues as to
the validity of my argument-
...and never heard anything else about it.

But again...That was THEN!

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I saw it and couldn't believe it! That was, by far, the stupidest thing I've ever seen in my 18 years of skydiving. I asked around and nobody had ever heard of anyone doing that before. I was waiting to test jump a Crossfire 109 at the Icarus tent, looked up, and saw what I originally thought was a guy with some kind of stuffed doll on his shoulders (until it moved :o). Incredible! You just never know at the Convention! Damn!!! Had to come back yesterday. I'm depressed. [:/]

Hey bro,

Do a search on "McBain". I think that is the person involved here. I have stated my opinion previously, and if it's the persons involved I think it is, then I am seriously justified.

Argh.

McB? If it's not you, I apologize.

I saw it as well and not sure I'd consider it "balls of steel"..........pretty frigin stupid IMHO, especially at such a high profile event. What if it had not gone "according to plan"...thank goodness it ended ok but I just think it was DUMB!

Who knows............skydivers are definitely a different breed [:/];)

Dreams become reality, one choice at a time...