kallend

Landing a Mr. Bill.

If you're afraid of dying stay away from the DZ. Just be as careful as you can.

As careful as you can?

I stated that stunts should not be done in the main landing area. I gave an example of how a crosswind landing caused problems. Do you disagree with that?

The main landing area isn't about one person. There is usually a lot of people in it. One person does not have the right to jeopardize others. I believe that unannounced stunts should not be done there. Do you think that it is ok?

If you want, I can describe all the accidents that I have personally witnessed at WFFC in the main landing area only that were caused by this type of behaviour. It's just going to be a long post.

The main landing area rules are not there to piss on your parade, they come from past experiences.

Oh, as a matter of fact, I am afraid of dying. It sounds like a really bad idea. I am more afraid of almost dying because someone didn't respect the airspace of others. I'll still be at the dz, even if you think I'm a pussy.

.... What practical purpose is there to standing on someone’s shoulders, ....

Hold on a minute!
What on earth is practical out jumping out of a plane in the first place ?
Nothing, you do it for fun right ?
So by extension of that argument this Mr Bill thing is just that, for fun so thats a dumb argument.

I do understand that jump numbers is a good yardstick but just because someone has 1000 jumps doesnt make them good or sensible either so at the other end of the scale there is no reason why some guy/gal might not be a genius after 100 jumps. No reason at all.

1.618 !

***After all they DID land it and NO ONE was hurt

I was standing there watching. They landed less than 50 feet from me.

Less than one minute before, I watched another jumper land crosswind and cut off a second jumper. At 60 ft off the ground, the second jumper had to do a 90 degree turn and then land crosswind also.

No one was hurt? Luck.

Imagine trying to land crosswind with someone on your shoulders. There were within 1 minute of someone being hurt.

They were also lucky that one of the hook-turn yahoos weren't screaming in at the same time. You can't dodge another canopy like that.

I have seen multiple landing collisions in the main landing area. It is the wrong place to show off.

I thought it was an amazing stunt. I congratulated John. I thought it was irresponsible to do it in the main landing area.

A little more planning might have resulted in someone wearing a BASE rig, in case of a 200 ft AGL dismount. So I also don't think it was well thought out.

I still think it is a bad idea to try anywhere, regardless of experience.

That was a very well balanced and thought out posting.

1.618 !

Hold on a minute!
What on earth is practical out jumping out of a plane in the first place ?
Nothing, you do it for fun right ?
So by extension of that argument this Mr Bill thing is just that, for fun so thats a dumb argument.

Parachuting evolved from the military. I served an Army Special Forces Operational Detachment HALO team for 15 years. There are very real and practical purposes for jumping out of an airplane. Yes, it is very fun but it is very serious at the same time.

I do understand that jump numbers is a good yardstick but just because someone has 1000 jumps doesnt make them good or sensible either so at the other end of the scale there is no reason why some guy/gal might not be a genius after 100 jumps. No reason at all.

No offense meant but I don’t believe your experience level warrants expertise in this area.

Everybody will always say "someplace else"...Where is that? I would agree that with all of the crazy stuff going on at the WFFC, it is a bit more dangerous to throw this into the mix. But is it any more dangerous than all of the people swooping in at high speeds? What about the golf cart guy? Was that not dangerous on the part of the flyer and the guy driving a vehicle into the landing area? One person keeps siting the crosswind landing as such a close call and "one minute earlier..." A minute is a long time, that isn't a close call, and why flame the guys that are flying a straight in approach. The guys landing crosswind sound like the problem to me, flame them, site how they would have caused huge problems if they had done that stupid stunt a minute later because it would have been right in front of somebody landing a Mr. Bill.
Is everybody here representative of the whole skydiving community, or are you all the "more conservative" ones. I would be interested to know if there are a ton of skydivers that could give a rat's ass about DZ.com and all of the talk that goes on here that are sitting there applauding these guys for making a pretty cool skydive?

do understand that jump numbers is a good yardstick but just because someone has 1000 jumps doesnt make them good or sensible either so at the other end of the scale there is no reason why some guy/gal might not be a genius after 100 jumps. No reason at all.

If you manage to make it to 500, 600, 1000, or even more jumps, you'll realize just how wrong your statement really is.

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

There are very real and practical purposes for jumping out of an airplane. Yes, it is very fun but it is very serious at the same time.

Er, No, Military and HALO etc is NOT what we are talking about here. This thread is related to fun jumping. Therefore your reference to Military and HALO is totally irrelevant.So dont try to stomp in with your size 12s.

No offense meant but I don’t believe your experience level warrants expertise in this area.

If you read my post properly you would have seen that I said at the end "N.B. Its not me!!".
N.B. Stands for Nota Bene (Latin: Note Well) which you obviously didnt.
I did not and have never claimed to be an expert.
I was merely posing the question that someone might be an exception someday.
Further more, anyone posting on here is posting their opinion, are you are saying that you are not allowed to post unless you are an expert ?

Lastly, I did my military jumps training at Brize Norton, UK Para Reg, but I dont count any of them in my jump numbers for civilian jumps. You have no idea where I have been or what I have done, you are merely assuming from my 50 Jumps number that I am very inexperienced and in doing so prove my point perfectly - Q.E.D.

P.S. No offence taken :)

1.618 !

If you manage to make it to 500, 600, 1000, or even more jumps, you'll realize just how wrong your statement really is.

So Jim, you are saying that because you have 500 jumps that means beyond doubt that are always way better than anyone who has say 250 ?

What about quality of jumps, learning curve, learning ability, amount of training etc....
Thats a rediculous argument.
This sport is no different to any other sport in terms of some people have a natural talent and some others take longer to learn.
Jim

1.618 !

Is everybody here representative of the whole skydiving community, or are you all the "more conservative" ones. I would be interested to know if there are a ton of skydivers that could give a rat's ass about DZ.com and all of the talk that goes on here

The world of skydiving is MUCH bigger than this website. I think you'll see a lot more posts by the conservative types because the crazy thrill seeker types (I'm not one of them) get flamed for everything they say. There are MANY skydivers that could give a rat's ass about this site.

Dave

===============================I'll have to agree w/ you on that one BUT some people ARE way faster learners or naturals. At 7 jumps I thougjt if you had 100 you knew it all. LOL. When I got to 100 I knew how much I didn't know.
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

Er, No, Military and HALO etc is NOT what we are talking about here. This thread is related to fun jumping. Therefore your reference to Military and HALO is totally irrelevant.So dont try to stomp in with your size 12s.

Er, No…You said:

What on earth is practical out jumping out of a plane in the first place ? Nothing, you do it for fun right ?

I just responded with an example proving otherwise.
Why is reference to Military Free-fall (HALO) irrelevant?

Further more, anyone posting on here is posting their opinion, are you are saying that you are not allowed to post unless you are an expert ?

You can post anything you want no matter how many jumps you have as long as I can also post to refute it.

Lastly, I did my military jumps training at Brize Norton, UK Para Reg, but I dont count any of them in my jump numbers for civilian jumps. You have no idea where I have been or what I have done, you are merely assuming from my 50 Jumps number that I am very inexperienced and in doing so prove my point perfectly - Q.E.D.

I’m also an Army Static-line Jumpmaster. I have more static-line round parachute jumps than I can remember. I don’t count a single one of them toward my total free-fall jumps listed here. Static-line jumps have nothing to do with free-fall. HALO jumps do, however. I’ve also got a HALO, 15,000ft, night, combat equipment, oxygen, 4-way RW dive where we turned 8 points and I got paid by the Army to do it.

By the way, thanks for the Latin lesson. :)
Oh yeah...and I only wear size 10 Regular.

There are MANY skydivers that could give a rat's ass about this site.

Dave

Yep. A lot of the more experienced people at my DZ think its a waste of time. "Go jumping, don't sit at your computer."

There are also a TON of things that happen that never get posted or are talked about on here that I am sure are MUCH MUCH more stupid and dangerous. They tend to happen when no one is looking and I'm sure if someone saw these types of things it would be posted and people would have a very similar response.

I hear of a lot of injuries or "incidents" forum events that just don't get posted.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

There are a lot of people in general like that. They don't care about anything.

There are people who learn from their mistakes. The best way is to learn from the mistakes of others and not make them personally. In skydiving, mistakes can be painful and life-altering. It is best to learn from the mistakes of others.

Another excellent way to learn is to listen to people who do things correctly. Thus, the value in coaching and mentoring.

This site provides a lot of information and discussion about events. Some of the posters are among the best skydivers and gear people in the world.

If people choose not to make use of such a resource, that is their choice. It doesn't mean that they are so wise that they no longer need to learn.

The guys landing crosswind sound like the problem to me, flame them...

If canopy A (Mr. Bill) would have been at point B (direct path of bozo landing crosswind), it's possible that C (bozo landing crosswind) could have collided with canopy A. It's all about odds. We take them everyday. When you add in a large boogie, lots of people (with several who land whatever direction they like) you're just increasing the risk. While other aspects appear to have been thought through, their poor choice of landing area (in front of the FAA no less), event, and disregard for seeking permission to perform such stunt first put many others beyond themselves at risk.
Step back and look at the big picture.

Now, was it cool that they did this? Yes. But, look at the big picture beyond the jump itself. That's the piece some appear to be missing.
-----
~~~Michael

So Jim, you are saying that because you have 500 jumps that means beyond doubt that are always way better than anyone who has say 250 ?

I think this is almost like explaining skydiving to a whuffo. You don't get it now, and that's OK and even expected. Like I said - wait a few years and you'll realize just how wrong your statement really is.

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

Everybody will always say "someplace else"...Where is that?

Not in the main landing area with a bunch of other people.

One person keeps siting the crosswind landing as such a close call and "one minute earlier..." A minute is a long time, that isn't a close call, and why flame the guys that are flying a straight in approach.

They didn't, they did a wide 90 about 80 feet up.
The guy doing the crosswind was wrong. The guy he cut off (and others) mentioned it to him.

My point was that you need an element of cushion when doing stunts. A crowded landing area gives no options.

Is everybody here representative of the whole skydiving community, or are you all the "more conservative" ones.

I only speak for myself. My opinions are based on the problems that I have seen over the years in the WFFC main landing area. Guidelines were established to stop the primary cause of injuries.

The primary cause was people hot-dogging it in the middle of 30 people and saying "It's cool, I'm an expert."

I have seen a carving landing on a demo knock out one of my friends (who posts here) in front of manifest. Several people whacked nearby carts because they couldn't stop. Several people got EMT rides because they got nailed by other "experts". I saw Dead Mike get hit and impact the runway.

On August 3, 1997 around 5 PM at the World Freefall Convention in Quincy, Illinois, Michael B. Vederman, after a successful skydive, got into a parachute collision with South African Andy Anderson's body about 30 seconds before landing. Mike fell about 80 feet and struck the concrete runway almost horizontal, face down.
Mike broke both femurs, both knees, left kneecap, right foot big toe, left elbow, right arm radius, mandible (lower jaw), maxilla (upper jaw), nose, orbits (eyeball sockets) and palate in mouth. Mike also lost 10 pints of blood, 19 teeth and 25 pounds of fat/muscle. He has various nerve damage.

Just this week though I was surprised when a jumper with 25 yrs in the sport said " hey, did you see on dropzone.com that ...." I don't think he has ever registered, but obviously reads the posts in several of the forums.

Blue skies,

Jim

Thanks a lot!!!!!! For those who seeing it conclude that it's no big deal and no safety threat, just reread the previous pages...

Keep in mind the camera narrows your field of view so you don't see everything else that's going on around you.
-----
~~~Michael