kallend

Landing a Mr. Bill.

I was sitting next to Chuckie when this occurred and I don't have much to add except to say that people are always talking about how they don't want more regulation in this sport.
It appears as though neither of these people gave any thought to the impact that their so called stunt may have on the rest of the skydiving community.
More shall be revealed.

Thanks Mike.
The only problem I have with it is time and place.
Wrong time wrong place otherwise it would have been a kick arse jump.
Envelope pushing is what some people do. I certain landing a biplane was seen as stupid and radical when it was 1st done.
And would have been insance to have done it at the WFFC :o:o:o:o

Live and Let Die:P
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I must say that this act was insane... (mutha fu#@ers beat me to it!)

Kudos to a couple of guys who pulled it off successfully!

And to everyone else who feels a need to condemn their actions... don't speak, but listen and learn from people who will drive this sport past the safety of your living room.

I don't know Sluggo, but I know Mr. Bill very well. He measured the risks... (weather hold-perfect time...lighter winds, almost NO traffic-maybe 15 other canopies in the air...they were open higher and many of the other canopies already on the ground... if you were not there, quit playing armchair QB!)

We advance this sport by exceding the norm.

Someday I'll land without using my parachute too...

I have no desire to debate this topic... those who understand my thoughts, know. Those who do not, never will.

Full speed ahead my friends... God-speed!

Chris

I think this is almost like explaining skydiving to a whuffo. You don't get it now, and that's OK and even expected. Like I said - wait a few years and you'll realize just how wrong your statement really is.

Fair comment.
You are totally missing my point I think but I will take your advice for now that talent is meaningless in skydiving, its purely down to jump numbers.
If I disagree in 5 years time Ill let you know.
:)

1.618 !

I think this is almost like explaining skydiving to a whuffo. You don't get it now, and that's OK and even expected. Like I said - wait a few years and you'll realize just how wrong your statement really is.

Fair comment.
You are totally missing my point I think but I will take your advice for now that talent is meaningless in skydiving, its purely down to jump numbers.

See, I told you you didn't get it. :S

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

I think its you thats not getting it Jim.
All hes trying to say is that peoples talent and ability varies greatly so its perfectly feasible for someone with 300 jumps to be better than someone with 500 for example.
Dont be so defensive about your jump number dude!
He is to you what you are to me.

.....and I got paid by the Army to do it.

Thats the killer, cant argue with getting paid for it.

Its funny coz my old man thinks that unless you are getting paid for jumping you are an idiot - period!

My Granddad who passed away in 95 used to think anyone who jumped out of a plane was a complete idiot, paid or not. He landed on Utah Beach during WWII as an Infantry Platoon Sergeant, was shot through the hip at the Battle of the Bulge, received a purple heart, bronze star, and silver star for gallantry in action. He also received a battlefield commission and finished out his tour there as a 1st lieutenant. He was an extremely brave man but couldn't understand jumping out of a plane in the slightest. :)

Dont be so defensive about your jump number dude!

It's not about jump numbers, not at all, it's not about talent, either - at least not directly. It's about experience. Experience, in my opinion, comes from jump numbers and time in the sport. The point I've been trying to make - and I'll concede that I may have been doing it poorly - is that someone with 50 jumps simply doesn't have the experience to fully understand the dangers of this stunt (or hell, for that matter, this sport). I'll also suggest that someone with 100 jumps has neither the experience or talent to safely repeat this stunt. Do it once, it's luck; do it twice, it's pushing your luck; do it three times, you might be on to something . . .

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

Fair comment.

If you are pretending to be clueless, you are most convincing. At best you sound petulant.

It is not purely down to jump numbers - there are people who have 1,000 jumps, and those who have 100 jumps ten times - but jump numbers can generally give a pretty good idea of what is one's perspective, regardless of innate ability.

Talent is all well and good, and some people can have extensive experience without catching on. All skydivers are not created equal.

Nevertheless, people with the ego level necessary to skydive tend to confuse luck with ability. After sticking around a while, the difference can become more apparent. I've known too many "naturals" who are no longer in the sport because they pushed their luck too long and it ran out.

Life is a series of lessons - the ones you miss get repeated and get harder. Some are not surviveable the first time around.

FWIW, I thought the Mr. Bill was a lot more impressive than the LOW opening, and generally agree with Chris. I'm not sure that I'm all that confident that one or both of these guys won't guess wrong and try something that is, in fact, fatal, but my reaction while watching it was anything but righteous indignation. I don't feel like trying to duplicate their results, but thought it was great entertainment.

As an aside, I will be interested if your standpoint remains the same if you stick around long enough to achieve some kind of senior status. Nobody I know has done so, but you may be different.

Blue skies,

Winsor

That Video kicks ass! Kinda like the first Back Flip on a motorcycle. Someone had to have the balls to try it to show it could be done. Everyone may not like the fact they did it where they did but from what I read in the "stupidest thing saw" this rates as "BAD ASS THINGS SAW" but hell I grew up idolizing Evil Knievel and would jump anything I could put a Ramp in front of.

If I was 15 years Younger that is a stunt I most definatly would be all about trying. Period. That is as honest as I can get.:P

MAKE EVERY DAY COUNT
Life is Short and we never know how long we are going to have. We must live life to the fullest EVERY DAY. Everything we do should have a greater purpose.

yeah, I will put money on someone getting killed trying to duplicate this at a later date unfortunately. :S

People get killed doing ordinary skydives every month of the year. BAN SKYDIVING!:)

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Kudos to a couple of guys who pulled it off successfully!

Tru-dat! I that's something I totally left out of my first post.

Congrats!

... He measured the risks... (weather hold-perfect time...lighter winds, almost NO traffic-maybe 15 other canopies in the air...they were open higher and many of the other canopies already on the ground... if you were not there, quit playing armchair QB!)

And by the sounds of it, most that are condemning this stunt say it's because of the landing area and the traffic involved. Sounds like that was well thought-out and accomodated for. But how was there both a weather hold and light winds? Does it mean there was overcast and all were doing H n' Ps?

Someday I'll land without using my parachute too...

Make sure you get video of that shit bro! (I beleive the birdmen will land someday too)

Anyway, good input. Right on.

blues.

My Karma ran over my Dogma!!!

yeah, I will put money on someone getting killed trying to duplicate this at a later date unfortunately. :S

People get killed doing ordinary skydives every month of the year. BAN SKYDIVING!:)

lol... not exactly the point I was trying to make... :D

if people want to do this... go ahead, as long as they don't kill anyone but themselves, that is fine with me... personally, I'll wait at least a few years before trying it, I like my femurs the way they are thanks. ;)
NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

... is that someone with 50 jumps simply doesn't have the experience to fully understand the dangers of this stunt (or hell, for that matter, this sport). . . .

I understand and agree with the generalization but disagree with this statement. Experience that teaches you caution comes from a lot of things. I'm 46 years old, < 50 jumps but understand that this is a dangerous sport. I do not know all the places danger can come from but I know they are their.

Was this stunt cool, yeah, was it nuts, yeah, but I think the same thing about ski jumping and you would never get me to do that.

"Truth is tough. It will not break, like a bubble, at a touch; nay, you may kick it about all day like a football, and it will be round and full at evening."
-- Oliver Wendell Holmes