TomEU

AIRCRAFT FOR SKYDIVERS! PLEASE HELP ME :)

Dear friends!

I am writing you a massage from the Europe. Why? Because you have got the biggest experience in skydiving. Sorry, if there was a simillar subject, but I couldn't find it. I am writing you also because I need your help and as I know, parachuters are very nice and kind. I have got very hard task: I must find aircraft in US and prepeare it into skydiving version. I don't have got experience in such a serious thing, that's why I am writing :)

So, this aircraft should be for 3 skydivers, cheap to fly, must climb 12 000 feet AGL in very short time (I would like in about 20 min.)

I have chosen Cessna 182R Skyline, due to gross weight of 3,100 lb (1,406 kg) for take-off and 2,950 lb (1,338 kg) for landing. What do you think? Have you got any better proposition?

I would like to put Continental I0550R into this aircraft due to 310 HP.

I am thinking about brand new, 3 blades propeller.

I would like also to do some extensions for skydiving. What do you thing about HortonKit? They don't write me back :(

I would like to spend no more than 130 000 USD, because I am taking this aircraft to Europe.

I will be gratefull for each help.

Greetings from the air,

Tom :)

I'm in the middle of trying to make a jump plane out of a 182 right now and I can tell you that, if I had it to do over again, I'd buy one that's already done.

In fact, there's one in the classifieds right now that looks pretty bad ass and it's already on your side of the pond. http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/classifieds/detail_page.cgi?ID=134574

Good luck!

For three jumpers (I'm gonna guess a tandem pair and outside video) your best bet will be a 182. Bigger motor is better, but they will all work. 3-blade prop is nice, but not necessary. Personally, I wouldn't replace a good 2-blade with a new 3, but if the 2-blade needed to be replaced, then I'd think long and hard about it.

I don't know about the Horton Kit specifically, but I've flown a 182 with a kit on it (don't know which one) that had stall fences on top of the wings and the dropped wingtips. It climbed nicely, even with a 250hp motor.

You could find one and do all the work, mainly the door, step and seat removal. Or you could find one already done. $130kUS is a huge chunk of cash. Here in the US, older versions (1960's era) are going for a lot less than that. $30-$40k is reasonable for one in good shape.
The one I flew, 58 straight tail with the stol kit sold for less than $30k last year. Old, but very well maintained, recent overhaul on the motor.

Hope this helps.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

A C-182 straight tail (230 HP) can take 3 jumpers to 12.000 MSL in a reasonable time with only three mods: Wings extensions, Sportman's stall kit and flap gap seals. Wings X will increase climb and your legal MGW. Sportman's kit and Flap gap seals will only increase climb performance. No gain in MGW. They run about $12000 installed.
I Like my PPONK and Texas Skyways engines but each conversion itself is more expensive than another C-182. :S

No Drogue, no JUMP!!

A C-182 straight tail (230 HP) can take 3 ...
I Like my PPONK and Texas Skyways engines but each conversion itself is more expensive than another C-182. :S

Agreed!
Engine and propeller upgrades are only cost-effective when the original engine is worn-out.

I've done 5000 jumps out of a 172 that has a 180hp engine. 3 jumpers to 12 grand in 30 mins. Good economics. :ph34r:

A 172??

Screw that! :D:D
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message