BrianSGermain

"Closing Thoughts" video by Brian Germain

I left a comment on your FB post...I find it funny that the 'new' was is actually the OLD way we did 25+ years ago! B|;)

So why did you stop?

I didn't. ;)

Way back when - pic covers were Velcro and the flaps were bigger and square for the most part.

IIRC people started doing it out the top and down because the pin-covers lay flatter and the flaps 'supposedly' opened cleaner.

Loops were a longer on a lotta rigs, some people though the bag was rotating down & out instead of straight back. By running the bridle out the top and down it was thought all the flaps would open fast and at the same time.

Somebody at Elsinore showed me the 'new' way and I did it for a month or two, then ran into Ted Strong at a meet.

Packing next to him, he asked me why I was running the bridle that way, told him and he just laughed.

Ted then he pointed out the possible pin/bridle interference and said to keep everything away from the pin, "it can get 'busy' back there at times".

That was 25+ years ago, I've run the bridle both ends out the bottom since.

It's one reason I prefer no one pin-check me, I've had D license holders tell me I had packed a PCIT. (it's not)

I've seen people freak out because the PC 'cocked' window isn't visible...so 'surely' I did something wrong. ( I never do! :ph34r:)

If it ain't broke, don't FIX it is right. B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

So why did you stop?

Some of didn't.

Sparky

Jim beat me to it.

Sparky

Oooh OK. Usually if you did something like that and stopped, there was usually a good reason for it. Kind of like how he's suggesting we change the bridle routing now for a good reason.

Looking at the technique, it DOES seem sensible, and it doesn't look like it'll change the opening. I'll talk to the riggers at my dropzone and see if there's any reason I shouldn't be doing that. If not, once I have my own gear, I think I'll probably pack it like that.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

I invite you all to watch this new video regarding bridle routing that may change the way you pack.

Enjoy!
BG
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgU9wT7O0-E&feature=youtu.be

Can you still check the kill line window? I don't currently have the window, but next week a rigger is putting one in for me.
If you can't check the window, then wouldn't Kevlar reinforcement be a 'safer' way to go? I know we are all supposed to cock our pilot chutes, but losing the ability to double check would bother me.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

I invite you all to watch this new video regarding bridle routing that may change the way you pack.

Enjoy!
BG

Can you still check the kill line window? I don't currently have the window, but next week a rigger is putting one in for me.
If you can't check the window, then wouldn't Kevlar reinforcement be a 'safer' way to go? I know we are all supposed to cock our pilot chutes, but losing the ability to double check would bother me.

The "window" is really not as important as we are led to believe when we are students. If you pack the pilotchute in the manner described in my video "The Secret to Pilotchute Packing", you will always have a cocked pilotchute. It is physically impossible to pack this way if the pilotchute has not been cocked. How cool is that?!

Pilotchute packing video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axCeYlY_6io&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Instructional Videos:www.AdventureWisdom.com
Keynote Speaking:www.TranscendingFEAR.com
Canopies and Courses:www.BIGAIRSPORTZ.com

Can you still check the kill line window? I don't currently have the window, but next week a rigger is putting one in for me. ...

If you don't yet have one, just have him put the window on the opposite side of the bridle. (That is, on the side the pin is attached to, rather the normal position on the side opposite the pin.) And as Brian said, if you use his method of folding the PC, you'll know if you are about to pack a collapsed PC.

Enjoy!
BG

The "window" is really not as important as we are led to believe when we are students. If you pack the pilotchute in the manner described in my video "The Secret to Pilotchute Packing", you will always have a cocked pilotchute. It is physically impossible to pack this way if the pilotchute has not been cocked. How cool is that?!

Interesting observation. I'm going to have a longer chat with the local rigger. He doesn't like that method of pilot chute packing due to a potential for a hard pull. Until this weekend I used to pack the.way you recommend. I love the discussions when they get to trading off between hard choices - makes you think.:)
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

Enjoy!
BG

Interesting observation. I'm going to have a longer chat with the local rigger. He doesn't like that method of pilot chute packing due to a potential for a hard pull. Until this weekend I used to pack the.way you recommend. I love the discussions when they get to trading off between hard choices - makes you think.:)

Brian's Response:

Hard pull? I have been packing my pilotchutes this way for more than twenty five years, and I have never had a hard pull. I even use oversized F-111 pilotchutes due to a high frequency of hop-n-pops. Further, I have never heard of anyone having a hard a hard pull from this packing method. You mentioned that you have been packing this way. Have you ever experienced a hard pull from this method? Anyone?

I say, always go with your gut. If your instincts have been telling you to pack this way, keep doing it. If you have a hard pull, let me know. Unless you have a cordura pouch, your risks of a hard pull are very low regardless of how you pack, due to the elasticity of the spandex. Don't let others dissuade you from what your gut is telling you, ever. Even if you are wrong, at least you are honoring your instincts.

My 2 cents...

Brian,

I've never had a hard pull either, but this person and yourself probably do as many jumps in a month as I have in total .

I'll do a short video and upload a demonstration of what he showed me, and get it across to you.

Nigel

I fly lots of different canopies, but my primary parachutes are Sensei 91 and 101 prototypes. I use an F-111 30 or 32 inch pilotchute with the "Semi-Stowless" bag. I have had one linetwist (from a packer) in the past 3 years. One cutaway in the past 15 years.

I fly lots of different canopies, but my primary parachutes are Sensei 91 and 101 prototypes. I use an F-111 30 or 32 inch pilotchute with the "Semi-Stowless" bag. I have had one linetwist (from a packer) in the past 3 years. One cutaway in the past 15 years.

Brian that seems a little big for such small canopies. I was using a 24" ZP on a 245 Sharpchuter and having great openings.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Brian that seems a little big for such small canopies. I was using a 24" ZP on a 245 Sharpchuter and having great openings.

Sparky

I even use oversized F-111 pilotchutes due to a high frequency of hop-n-pops.

"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA