ChrisL

B-17 jump :)

Assuming no weather problems (looks good right now), tomorrow afternoon I'll be making a skydive out the bomb bay doors of the Collings Foundations B-17 Flying Fortress "Nine-O-Nine" :)
I'm quite psyched to just fly in one of these old war birds, let alone skydive out the bomb bay :)
__

My mighty steed

Get enough separation! I jumped it in September and we didn't have nearly enough separation. Jump in pairs (two at a time) and leave 5 seconds between pairs and it'll work great.

Have a BLAST, it was awesome. I'd do it again (and pay the $450) in a heartbeat.

Here's the jump I did: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SsUa_sWf9A

Get enough separation! I jumped it in September and we didn't have nearly enough separation. Jump in pairs (two at a time) and leave 5 seconds between pairs and it'll work great.

Have a BLAST, it was awesome. I'd do it again (and pay the $450) in a heartbeat.

Nice video :)

You guys got around 5k ft?
__

My mighty steed

Nice video :)

You guys got around 5k ft?

Yep, got out at 5k. The pilots are NOT skydivers. Their briefing was "We'll fly over the drop zone, open the doors, and you guys do what you do."

The "spot" is what you make it. It's tricky, though, because you can only see straight down, so I'd try to find somebody who's familiar with the DZ and recognizes the surrounding area.

Assuming no weather problems (looks good right now), tomorrow afternoon I'll be making a skydive out the bomb bay doors of the Collings Foundations B-17 Flying Fortress "Nine-O-Nine" :)
I'm quite psyched to just fly in one of these old war birds, let alone skydive out the bomb bay :)

Been there, done that.

I took the walk through on the ground at Quincy, decided that the lift ticket price was worth it, and got on the last load.

It was _awesome_. Sounds great with 4 R1820s 9 cylinder radials.

It's good stuff. Beware of snag hazards while "touring the plane".

A feet first exit facing the tail and then go to back fly will give you an awesome view of the wingspan after exit. Nowhere will you ever see that kind of view again.B|

Absorb the history of it all and what it may have been like for those kids that rode that bird over seas to battle.

You suck. That is all.

what he said. But still could you please post pictures/videos :)

Enjoy the jump

I will. Forecast for the afternoon looks good so far :)
I hate you, in a good way :)
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Have fun! She's one very sexy plane to fly in, and I still get chills thingking about those huge radial engines starting up. The flight alone was worth the money, the skydive was the icing on the cake.

Be careful for snag hazards. A friend had to ride the plane down when he snagged his reserve handle.

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

Did it down at Quincy. Fourteen on board and we couldn't fill the bomb bay!:S Some of the guys actually DIDN'T WANT to go out the bomb bay.

All the bomb latches are still on the sides of the bomb bay and all greased up. Along with all sorts of threaded rods etc. First out climb down and stand STRADDLING the bomb doors. They are designed to break away so you can't stand on them. But you can stand on the center keel and the outside frame. Then the doors open underneath you.B| Just hop and put your feet together and drop out. Well worth the $350 at the time.

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Fourteen on board and we couldn't fill the bomb bay!:S Some of the guys actually DIDN'T WANT to go out the bomb bay.

Now thats just messed up. Didnt want to exit the bomb bay? It was tricky getting down in there cuz it was so dark but I cant imagine wanting exit any other way. it was a total blast.

Clouds came in but they were above 5500, so we got about 5200 ft.

Two passes, I was on second pass and got video of the whole last 15 minutes.

Most fun I've had in a LONG time :) and its $450 now but was worth every penny!

Some of its kinda boring, some of its kinda dark (in the bomb bay before the doors open) but here it is..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LgjR_NSSv4
__

My mighty steed

Fourteen on board and we couldn't fill the bomb bay!:S Some of the guys actually DIDN'T WANT to go out the bomb bay.

Now thats just messed up. Didnt want to exit the bomb bay? It was tricky getting down in there cuz it was so dark but I cant imagine wanting exit any other way. it was a total blast.

Clouds came in but they were above 5500, so we got about 5200 ft.

Two passes, I was on second pass and got video of the whole last 15 minutes.

Most fun I've had in a LONG time :) and its $450 now but was worth every penny!

Some of its kinda boring, some of its kinda dark (in the bomb bay before the doors open) but here it is..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LgjR_NSSv4

Congrats, dude...you've just made 100% of Dropzone.com (including those who've done it before) jealous. B|

Freakin' awesome. Still on my to-do list. Like @peregrinerose said, looks like it would be worth every penny just to fly in that beauty! Love me some radial engines... :)
Signatures are the new black.

Dude you missed the coolest view ever by not looking up immediately after exit. >:(

The coolest thing is: Nobody has ever said it wasn't worth the money.B| And..... I got my ride for $10 in a raffle.:P

Glad they are still offering this rare experience. We are a huge hazard to those planes, so let's keep it careful up there, everyone.