craigbey

It's Pronounced 'Stiletto'

To me the point is that instead of addressing the underlying concerns, the jumper the OP was describing was unwilling to accept that a lack of skill and/or a lack of maintenance contributed to a situation that could have possibly been prevented.

Thanks. That is the fundamental point.

But it has been fun to see some of the other responses.

;)

>Define "tendency"

They like to spin up more than most canopies.

This is the problem I am having, from my experiences and the experience of many in this thread they DONT seem to like to spin up. My packing is shite at best and I'm not particularly fussy about body position on deployment, if those are to 2 main factors that contribute to i them spinning up (it's certainly not the design), then i would think that cutaway ration WOULD BE mUCH MUCH HIGHER.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Hop'n'Pops have higher risks of line twist than terminal due to the lower forces getting you to line *edit stretch

As for the "Spinetto"- There is some history there. When I started jumping (late 90's) the Stiletto was the hot rod of the day. It was the gold standard, one of the first true elliptical canopies with a tapered leading and trailing edge, and one of the first canopies that was commonly loaded up (not much by today's xbrace standards). It was also the most popular high performance canopy. Anyway...before this time, line twists were not really a malfunction. lower aspect ration canopies, square canopies like Sabre (1) and Monarch of the day, and lower wing loaded canopies were no big deal with twists. They would fly nice and straight...canopy would stay above your head. Just kick out... no biggie.

Enter a bunch of stilettos out there, loaded up a little bit... and people found out real quick that line twists could get very violent very quickly. They have a tendency to "spin up", dive to the horizon, and you have to get rid of them. That's when the term "spinetto" started and it has stuck. Now loaded elliptical and corss braced canopies are pretty common. The Stiletto isn't any worse than any other similar canopy when it comes to diving/turning/spinning in line twists... but it was one of the first and most popular and thus the term.

my "spinetto" early this season -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dk0fSCtULxM&list=UUHNuDXLq-8UWPWNA1myLFJA&index=13&feature=plcp

1200+ jumps on stiletto's ranging in size from 107 - 135's

only one cutaway from a spinup and I am pretty sure it was my body postion that did it - I think I tensed up and tilted to the right as I tossed - for some reason exiting below 2k then taking a 5-8 second delay rattled me :$ damned ground was close I tells ya!:P

am upsizing this next year and going back to a spinetto - damned good canopy's and tons of fun.
Roy

They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

I'll admit I don't have the packing dialed in on my Stiletto as well as I did on the Diablo I jumped before it. I almost always have a 90-180 degree turn on opening. Only had even one complete twist once (and I definitely did that with packing), but on the Diablo I rarely even had 90's once I got it dialed in. I had a packer pack for me a couple times at a boogie, just to see if it was me, but had 180's on both of those. New lines, too.

Not sure why, but I'm working on it. I will say that the Stiletto wasn't even close to needing to be cut away with line twists, while I had to chop the Diablo for them (of course, I was outer wave on a bigway, opening around 2000').

I enjoy it outside that.

Wendy P
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

To me the point is that instead of addressing the underlying concerns, the jumper the OP was describing was unwilling to accept that a lack of skill and/or a lack of maintenance contributed to a situation that could have possibly been prevented.

It is that pervasive attitude that resulted in experienced canopy pilots creating the SoFPiDaRF, THAT is a joke.

You ignored the entire rest of my post.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334