Whamie

Mock parachute rig?

Hullo everyone!
I saw a post somewhere (sorry can't remember) where a topic about tunnel time being used to practice for AFF.
In that post it was mentioned that a mock parachute rig are sometimes used in the tunnel to practice manuvers and to help with muscle memory.
my question is, are there such mock parachute rigs for rent? if so where can one aquire one?

Thanks

Hullo everyone!
I saw a post somewhere (sorry can't remember) where a topic about tunnel time being used to practice for AFF.
In that post it was mentioned that a mock parachute rig are sometimes used in the tunnel to practice manuvers and to help with muscle memory.
my question is, are there such mock parachute rigs for rent? if so where can one aquire one?

Thanks

At the tunnel.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

And you're no where near needing a rig to fine tune your skills in the tunnel. Hell, I'm no where near that.

Just curious why do you say that? I would think adding a rig would significantly change your aerodynamics and center of mass... especially for backfly and sitfly...

Just curious why do you say that?

Because, with several hours of tunnel time, I'm still no where near that.

Teams use rigs to fine tune their skills, not get the bacics, or even the bulk of their bodyflying techgniques down. That's belly, and FF.
Remster

>I would think adding a rig would significantly change your aerodynamics and center of
>mass... especially for backfly and sitfly...

Tunnels are great training tools. They can teach you a lot about basic body flight for less $$ per minute, and the difference in having a rig vs not having a rig is miniscule. But if you want the most accurate representation of skydiving possible - go skydiving.

Army guy in there a couple of visits ago had what looked like a real one on. Though I can't imagine them allowing that in the tunnel. Big ass thing too. He also had some gear strapped between his legs. As awkward as it all looked, I can imagine you'd want some training on how to fly with all that crap before some dude chucks you out of a plane.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

Tunnel rigs are just rigs with the flaps and handles supertacked in and dummy canopies for weight. Unless you're up close, you're probably not even going to notice a difference (unless you see the 'dummy' spraypainted on it :P). Flying with the ruck is actually pretty fun once you figure it out, gives you a great workout.

To the OP: Many tunnels won't allow tunnel rigs (they like their windows unscratched) but if they do, chances are they will have one for you to use.

And you're no where near needing a rig to fine tune your skills in the tunnel. Hell, I'm no where near that.

Just curious why do you say that? I would think adding a rig would significantly change your aerodynamics and center of mass... especially for backfly and sitfly...

You can learn how to fly your body in the wind tunnel without the use of a mock rig.

It's just that simple. as a student with 20 jumps (and assuming you have limited tunnel experience) you can learn a ton of skill without the aide of a prop.

If you have enough tunnel time to fed a small nation and you've perfected all aspects of body flight...then, you can think about flying in a mock rig. Chances are, though, if you have that much experience you wont need the mock rig.:D
My photos

My Videos

Hi everyone!
Thanks for your insight!
I was just curious about the topic.

When i went through AFF i would spend 4x the time in the tunnel before a jump. I found the tunnels much harder to fly (maybe cuz of the enclosed space).

Don’t be in such a hurry to win the Nationals. You got 20+ jumps…go jump out a perfectly good airplane and enjoy. Skydiving is a recreational activity for most not a job.;):)
Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Only slightly off topic... I think I recall back in the 70s at Pope Valley DZ they had a bunch of mock rigs for the "Aqua Beech". The rigs were just military surplus backpacks. They had a mock door at the edge of the swimming pool for exit practice, especially 10-way.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History