CarpeDiem3

USPA Nationals Logo

What is that red blob on the upper left side of the shield in the Nationals logo?
Image attached.

At the bottom, the star with yellow and red sun rays represent the Arizona state flag. I get that part.

And what's with the red and blue vertical stripes on the top half? Shouldn't they be red, white, and blue, to represent America? Maybe they're red and blue to symbolize the election year, divided between red and blue states representing republicans and democrats?

What is that red blob on the upper left side of the shield in the Nationals logo?
Image attached.

At the bottom, the star with yellow and red sun rays represent the Arizona state flag. I get that part.

And what's with the red and blue vertical stripes on the top half? Shouldn't they be red, white, and blue, to represent America? Maybe they're red and blue to symbolize the election year, divided between red and blue states representing republicans and democrats?

The designer was a rank amateur.

First, the blob is meant to offset the red of the parachutist under canopy, but unless, like Grimmie, you know the outline and geography behind it, it's a blob that means nothing (the peak is visible from the DZ). There should have been a red image of a skydiver or two or three in freefall (FS/VFS/whatever) to balance out the canopy on the other side -- and maintain relevance to parachuting.

Second, the canopy is flying off the page (see the position of the container on the body). This is a Composition 101 violation: photos and images always look/fly/point INTO the page so that your eye follows the direction into the page/art/whatever. Fundamental, amateur error.

Finally, it may be that the lines between the red and blue were supposed to be pure white like the outline around the letters, but the amateur designer muted them to match the other outlines instead.

All in all, an overly cluttered, amateurish design. Wonder how much we paid him/her to do it -- and/or to whom the artist is related on the staff or BOD?

LOL...

B|
SCR-6933 / SCS-3463 / D-5533 / BASE 44 / CCS-37 / 82d Airborne (Ret.)

"The beginning of wisdom is to first call things by their right names."

Second, the canopy is flying off the page (see the position of the container on the body). This is a Composition 101 violation: photos and images always look/fly/point INTO the page

Interesting to know. Personally, I'm glad the designer wasn't so petty as to follow some hidebound rules designed to be psychologically manipulative or something.

From looking at airshow posters on the web, they have airplanes going every which way. Seems like the ones with outward pointing images look better, giving an appearance of more space and movement. For example, a 'bomb burst' of airplanes pointing outward looks to me better than a bunch of planes pointing inwards towards the world's biggest midair collision. But I don't claim to know anything about composition!

(And where there are larger airplane images, or a formation depicted, they pretty much have to point "outward" as they can't be small enough to point towards the center. )

Still we can agree that the nationals design is rather "busy"!

Well, to the designer - I like it.

To the critics... You also know not what varying designs were presented to the decision-maker(s) and their final vote. Which if they were paying, may not even represent the designer's choice.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.