DcloudZ

End of the season...

So a little 9 months ago a Facebook friend posted Jeb Corliss' Grinding the Crack video saying "this guy's crazy, who the hell would want to do that!" Before I had finished watching the video I knew that I wanted to do it. I watched that video well over 100 times. It was winter at the time but none the less I was determined to do everything it takes to get to the point to be able to do what he does at some time in my life.

Fast forward 6 months and I had been saving money to go on a trip to Europe which ended up getting cancelled. So there I was sitting on around 2,000$ and nothing to do with it. I decided to go on another tandem jump (I had done my first one 2 years prior). As soon as the parachute open I was screaming how I was going to do my AFF course. Before I left the dropzone that day I put down a deposit for the FJC and the 20 minutes of wind tunnel.

So it's mid-July by the time I get started with my AFF and the season ends in mid-October here, so I had set my goal as getting my A license for this season. I never imagined how much fun this could be and I've had a great share of experiences.

So here I am at the end of our season with my B license and 69 jumps. I'm not quite sure how I got this far in such little time but I'm pleasantly surprised. This coming weekend is our dropzone's last and weather-permitting I would like to get 3 jumps in.

In the little time that I've "actively" been in the sport I've spent 60 hours or more a week dedicated to jumping as well as learning about the sport. I've met quite a few people and had some great nights around the bonfire. I am really excited to see what next season will bring for me. My goal for next season is to get 200 jumps and also transition in to BASE.

I am absolutely in love with this sport and it is my first true passion. It is the only thing in the world that makes me happy. I would just like to thank everyone that's been a part of my journey so far (and that includes all you dz.com folks whether we've talked or not; I may not post that often but I am always lurking and am delighted to be able to learn from all kinds of information and people that this wonderful forum has to offer).

So thank you so much everyone for everything (past and future).:)
"Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way." -Alan Watts

It's kinda fun, isn't it?? ;)

Congrats on your progress.

One suggestion: Don't overdo it. Find some balance in your life.
Burnout is a very real possiblity, and that would be a shame.

"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Burnout is a very real possiblity, and that would be a shame.

Ha, i think he's got about 10 years and two kids before that happens.

You basically summed up my experience so far. first season and i was fortunate enough to get 89 jumps in with my B license. This is probably the most dangerous time for guys like us in the 100 jump wonder category. I want to push myself just like you getting into BASE, wingsuit, and proxy flying but at the same time I know I need to develope my foundation skills in this sport.

I know ill get 200 jumps by the end of next year but I made a promise to myself not to do my FFC until I've taken the flight 1 canopy course and a number of RW camps. Im chomping at the bit to progress but also trying to remind myself to take it one step at a time and enjoy the ride.

Hope to fly with you sometime

Managed to finish up with 75 jumps, a nice number :)
Last day of the season I managed to do one of each of my favorite types of jumps and something I had never tried before!!

Hop and Pop to start the day, followed by a 3-way track dive, then I got to film an A-license "exam" and got to hop on the sunset load and open high with 4 other guys and did some semi-crew for the first time! Absolutely an amazing end to the perfect season!

Hope to fly with you as well aatif, glad your experience was just as amazing as mine:)

"Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way." -Alan Watts

Over here to get our A license we must be able to accomplish in the same jump: a front flip, a back flip and a barrel roll. (Silly I know..)

Anyhow, I was shooting camera for the person trying to do that so I did my first paid-for jump :$

I'm going to try my best :) but I'm still in school so I'm short on time and money, looking into a weekend trip to Zhills for next weekend actually and maybe Eloy in December :)

You're allowed to shoot camera with 75 jumps? And with a non A licence holder?

... he got there in 6-9 months depending on which part of his post you reference, and his profile states 2 years in the sport. Hmmmm....

Anyway, welcome to the sport. Just remember, it's a marathon, not a sprint. ;)
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

That may be more fun for you but I enjoy filming. I prefer canopy over free-fall in general so filming is something new that gives me a little challenge and therefore enhances my free-fall experience:)

That may be more fun for you but I enjoy filming. I prefer canopy over free-fall in general so filming is something new that gives me a little challenge and therefore enhances my free-fall experience:)

Hmmm? Well. That explains that! :|
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

Paging davelepka...........

Filming a student at 75 jumps, what could go wrong??????????

I love hijacking heartfelt threads with whiny bullshit also:)
You do you, and I'll do me. Go be an asshole somewhere else.

I love hijacking heartfelt threads with whiny bullshit also:)
You do you, and I'll do me. Go be an asshole somewhere else.

You go ahead and do yourself all you want.

I'll be an asshole in any thread I want untill a mod asks me not to.

I'd bet my "whiny bullshit" is agreed with by more experienced jumpers than not.

Your DZ in Canada is USPA not CSPA. The USPA doesn't require any particular jump numbers for camera, they just 'recommend' a C license. And for filming students, one 'should' have 300 group freefall jumps and 50 filming non-students.

So technically there's no rule against what you are doing, is that correct?

Congrats! I moved to EU from US and i have to say 70 jumps and the whole skydiving life is worth more then a trip to here haha. If you ever make it to Estonia in the summer come do some jumps!

End of the season is sad but then you combine travel and jumping and watch ur bank account be nuked!

EDIT* Well worth the nuking :)

The problem with trying to comment on this situation is that there's no point. If your DZ approves of a guy with less than 75 jumps flying a camera and filming an unlicesed jumper, then nothing I can say is going to convince you that it's not safe.

To that end, however, I will comment on what you say here -

filming is something new that gives me a little challenge and therefore enhances my free-fall experience

If you consider yourself to be intelligent or perceptive in any way, you have to realize that you are not doing the student any favors by looking to be 'challenged', or by enhancing 'your' jump at all, right?

The point of jumping with an unlicensed jumper, or any jumper looking to you for instruction, is not to cater yoward your needs, it's cating toward theirs. Sometimes that means flying a rock solid base and throwing the right hand slignals to get them performing, and sometimes it means shooting just the right video to highlight the teaching points you're gong to make in the debreif.

In any case, your 'challenge' and 'enhancement' should have nothing to do with it. If and when they do, you become just another schmucko having a good time on someone else's dime, and not offering the benefit of good instruction that they deserve.

This student in question had 46 jumps, get your damn facts straight before blowing fucking whistles everywhere

What fact did he not get straight? If you mean his reference to a guy with 75 jumps, well, thats you.

In any sense, you dont have to take anyones advice if you dont want to. But it would be smart to do so.
"Are you coming to the party?
Oh I'm coming, but I won't be there!"
Flying Hellfish #828
Dudist #52