SkydiveNFlorida

Did you lose a lot of your old friends after you started jumping?

My pre-skydiving friends have thinned out, but those who were GOOD friends will never stop being GOOD friends. We each have our passions in life, and it is exciting for us to share what we are doing with each other. I don't SEE them as often, but we still talk and get together and share everything just like always.:)
My life intertwines with my GOOD friends' lives, making beautiful patterns that don't require us to stop being who we are. It's a nice balance.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
-Robert A. Heinlein

The good thing is you don't need a Phd to go skydiving B|

I do need money tho, and a lifestyle where I can go jumping when the weather is good.
Any ideas? because I haven't!
:S
G
(PRV)

well what you lose in friends, you make up in great long time friends. However your friend you might be able to keep if she hooked up with a skydiver.

btw how many jumps till you get your "A" a few of us have something neat planned B|

:D:D Cool! Well, i'll be up in Deland this weekend instead of Sebastian. I don't know if they can help me out with that proficiency card or ? I've got 10 jumps so far, so I suppose i'm 10 jumps, a couple manuevers, and a packing class away:D Awesome, I'm so excited.. ooOO, I have skydiving friends!! :D !!~!

Angela

ya i would say so...its my birthday this weekend and even though i have a broken ankle and can't jump i would still rather celebrate on a different nite with my friends at home and then drive 3 hours to the dz on my b-day!!....even when grounded its still the best place to be:D

How can you not loose them if you have less and less common interests? They invite you to go fishing and you refuse because you plan to go to DZ. They throw a party Saturday night and you don’t plan to show up because there will be night jumps this Saturday (very fresh example). Perhaps with time I will learn how to maintain the balance in life but now it is just not working. ;)

Gerv, why can't you get your Ph.D? I don't understand?

I don't understand either...
i joined the sport 4months ago, in that time I have done nearly (will be by end of this WE) 100 jumps, having done my AFF and consols in a week, I comleted SkydiveU shortly after, haven't stopped jumping, I have visited three different countries in that time, purely to jump! I eat, sleep and breath skydiving. Any Whuffo friends I have left, will tell you how much money I have spent on the sport or how little they see me. So anytime or effort I have left has NOT been spent on the "dynamic coarsening of a superplastic alloy" study or whatever is was I registered for 15 months ago,
...pheeeeeeew!...

and no matter how much i try i still can't freefly for shit. BUT i don't care.
I received my PhD termination contract this week.
g
(PRV)

When the sky was still brand new for me one of the more experienced and respected jumpers at my DZ told me something that didn't make much since at the time... "just don't forget, we spend most of our time on the ground." I didn't get it at first, but now I think I know what he was talking about.

Ask yourself... What do I really want?

... I'll see you at the DZ!!! ;)

Chaps

Being at uni now I have found I have 2 groups of friends. But I do spend alot of my time with the skydivers (obviously) but I live with 3 wuffos that I get on with well. But Skydiving socials always take preference over wuffo outings.

As to old wuffo friends, as Im at uni I dont see them till holidays anyway, and now its got to the stage where some of them are working away from home or they have girlfriends that live some distance away, so they're the ones that arnt around!

UK Skydiver for all your UK skydiving needs.

my non-jumping friends got really sick of hearing about my skydives, in a very short time. That said, they still were my friends, but over time we started hanging out less and less (it's hard to hang out with people who aren't at the DZ:D). It makes me a little sad, because sometimes it's nice to get away from jumpers -- it reminds mw how cool you all are!

My oldest and best friends want to come watch and join the dz parties. Some are talking about trying a tandem. Beer conqures all.

I burned them all out on martial arts for years, so they are glad I have a new obsession and that they don't have to sit through any more Judo tournaments.

Words aren't real

The good thing is you don't need a Phd to go skydiving B|

I do need money tho, and a lifestyle where I can go jumping when the weather is good.
Any ideas? because I haven't!
:S
G
(PRV)

That's an easy one. Marry a rich woman.

Or go back in time, make sure you get a sister, bully her and stuff when she's a kid so she'll grow character and become a doc and then when you're an adult she'll sorta lend you money when you're broke.

That's the idea. The flip side is that she'd want those money back some day.

Santa Von GrossenArsch
I only come in one flavour
ohwaitthatcanbemisunderst

I've been jumping for a year now. I still have all my friends. My dropzone is two hours away, I only really get a chance to go there once or twice a month. I suppose if you ask me in a few more years time, the situation will change. But that's life, I would be rather disapointed with myself if I didnt make any new friends over the next 60+ years that I'll (hopefully) be alive.:)

Don't bother me, I'm living happily ever after