SkydiveNFlorida

Did you lose a lot of your old friends after you started jumping?

I see a lot of people say that you can pretty much count on changing crowds, losing non-jumping friends, etc.. . Has this been the case for the majority? What was your experience? Just curious.
reply]
In the beginning, when I would come home from the dz I would have 20 messages on the recorder. After a while I'd come home and there wouldn't be any. It wasn't intentional, I was just consumed with skydiving. The whuffos got tired of hearing about it. Skydiving is a way of life. Most of us have tried to bring freinds in to the sport, but most of the time we meet our freinds at the dz.

never pull low......unless you are

Wow! Not that I have a tremendous amount of friends, but i've got one gf that i've had for a long time. I bring her with me to the dz, but I think it's getting old for her. She went on a tandem, but I don't think she's gonna do aff, just not cut out for it I suppose. Afraid to die, didn't enjoy freefall, only canopy ride.

I suppose I can see how it'd get boring to just hang at the dz and not really be into the sport. This will be my 4th wknd in a row going up there. I don't think she plans to join this time. I'm trying to get a guy friend to go with, but I don't think it's happening.

I think i'm gonna be alone real soon:( I'm quickly becoming addicted, and don't want to do much else on the weekend. I was invited to go out on jet ski's, which i'm sure is fun... but I really wanna jump out of a plane! lol!

On the up side, the people I've met at the dz have been awesome. Denise (sunnydee123) stands out and is probably one of the coolest chicks i've ever met! I hope to make a lot of friends in the sport:)

I wonder if this goes for all extreme sports, or just skydiving.

Thanks for listening to me rant. Keep sharing your experiences, too:)
Angela.

The few trusted friends I have are used to not seeing a lot of me. Got scuba diving and climbing going as well, so most friends who cannot accept seeing me randomly and occassionally are basically gone already, with a few (female) exceptions.

Those are not very happy with the time I spend at DZs and with more male skydivers than female skydivers (and thus; harder competition for poor single guys), I think that in the future I could probably live in a monastery in celibacy and then just go skydiving.

Oh well. If that is one of sacrifices one has to make, so be it, heh.

Santa Von GrossenArsch
I only come in one flavour
ohwaitthatcanbemisunderst

boy meets girl, boy likes girl, girl tells boy to stop skydiving, boy tells girl to get lost.

Girl meets boy, girl likes boy, both girl and boy like to skydive, boy quits skydiving, talks girl into quitting skydiving, boy takes up golf and himbos AND bimbos, Girl tells boring cheating golfer boy to get lost, girl starts skydiving again.

I like this story better

Amazon

boy meets girl, boy likes girl, girl tells boy to stop skydiving, boy tells girl to get lost.

Been there, done that, wearing the T-shirt!!! (except it's the Girl loves skydiving one, obviously!).

However, I do still have a very special group of non-jumping girlfriends... They've got used to organising our get-togethers on week nights; rolling into work with a hangover because "Steph's team-training this weekend"!
Love them all loads :-)

Steph
-x-

i hate to admit it, but i've slowly begun to realize it's happening to me too:( i still have the friends that dont jump, but they just dont share the same interests as me anymore (not just skydiving, but i dropped a few old habbits myself that they participate in daily) i recently noticed that there is more mutual respect between my skydiving buddies and myself. i love you guysB|

Ive still got all my mates but its becoming more of a struggle to keep them. They all still want to go out and get shit faced (drunk) on the weekends and i'm like "I cant stay out till 7am like you's, I want to go jumping tomorrow" I think its starting to piss them off. Along with the fact that I never shut up about skydiving!.

But so what? I'm sure as hell not giving up skydiving!

------------------------------------------------------
"Ive given up on sigs cos I make a mess of them!"
------------------------------------------------------

I lost a lot of drinking companions. I gained a BUNCH more. :)
I did lose touch with a few people but the majority of my close friends are still that. Maybe because I see them so infrequently. :P

BSBD
'In an insane society a sane person seems insane.' Mr. Spock

My very best friend in the world is my wife. She doesnt jump and probably never will.

She is the only person I have ever been with that lets me be me. She deals with the whole skydiving thing in stride
and its not a wedge between us.
Only thing I have to do is keep coming home and not fall for one of the "Hot skydiving chicks" that she fears will throw themselves at me left and right. Ha!

I had a buddy I used to jump with but he quit jumping and doesnt want to hear about it anymore.
Once I get back up there I'll hope to find someone about my own skill/experience level to share it with.
As much as I love my wife, I cant rant about it to her and get any kind of real understanding :-)

Actually, no. Then again, I don't spend a whole lot of time on the DZ. I'm even out of currency right now (money issues, relocation, blah blah).

I didn't lose nay of my old friends. Don't get me wrong, I love the skydiving, and I love those people at Elsinore (I miss you all). But I didn't quit golfing because of the sport. I didn't quit hanging out after work with them. Personally and professionally, it just makes sense to maintain those friendships. They are still so important to me.

Indeed, my relationships with many of them became stronger. They didn't understand my love of it. And to me, that is okay. I know that most of them never will, and I don't hold that against them.

Turns out, despite our difference, we just like each other. Isn't that enough?

My wife is hotter than your wife.

I didnt lose any friends, but thanks to this, ive gained alot of new ones. If youre ever in st. louis look me up (no pun intended) im gonna be at the DZ!!! One of the first things that i noticed is the camraderie between all of us. We are our own entity. And thats something that not a whole lot of people understand. I'd better stop now, wife is bitching about me skydiving again !!

Blue Skies
KAI

There's no truer sense of flying than sky diving," Scott Cowan

Never quite lost all my old friends, but I sure nearly bored a few of 'em to death. This time around I'm trying to strike more of a balance by not talking about it so much with my whuffo friends. There is still a world out there, with some interesting people who would never jump. I try to respect that, but if I'm just back from the DZ it's pretty hard and they have to put up with a 5 min. summary.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !