Monko760

Favorite Skydiving Youtube

Glad you like it Lisa.

Amazing that you were there!

So the crazy sound effects were iconic of the 70's.
What about all the extra material in the jumpsuits?
Was that just a 70's fashion thing too or did they wear it bc they thought it was functional somehow?

It was functional. The prevailing thought was that bigger jumpsuits gave a jumper an advantage in maneuverability. It let us log more ff time, as well. At the hight of the "wing wars", it let us legally log 73 sec of ff from 12,500'. :)

Although, skydivers have always liked looking matchy-matchy, so fashion was certainly a part of it. :ph34r: We might have gone a little overboard with it when custom sport rigs first became available. :$
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

Hey guys, I originally downloaded a video from skydivingmovies.com back in April of '07. It was shot at Zhills, and the sound track was "Sewn" by the Feeling. It had a little bit of everything in it, even a horny gorilla with a guy eating a banana! The last scene was of the bonfire. I lost my copy when my hard drive crashed and I can't find it anywhere else. I believe I saw "Maddog Productions" at the end of the vid. Help please! I watched this video over and over when I first started jumping...and can't hear that song without thinking about skydiving. If anyone knows this vid or has a copy, PLEASE post it. :)
(I know it's a stretch) [:/]

I'm behind the bar at Sloppy Joe's....See ya in the Keys!

Muff 4313

Glad you like it Lisa.

Was that just a 70's fashion thing too or did they wear it bc they thought it was functional somehow?

It was functional. The prevailing thought was that bigger jumpsuits gave a jumper an advantage in maneuverability. It let us log more ff time, as well. At the hight of the "wing wars", it let us legally log 73 sec of ff from 12,500'. :)....

If it really worked, how come spandex is so popular today?

Is there a danger in wearing all of that extra material when freeflying?

Glad you like it Lisa.

It was functional. The prevailing thought was that bigger jumpsuits gave a jumper an advantage in maneuverability. It let us log more ff time, as well. At the hight of the "wing wars", it let us legally log 73 sec of ff from 12,500'. :)....

If it really worked, how come spandex is so popular today?

Is there a danger in wearing all of that extra material when freeflying?

Keep in mind that back then, RW was, not quite in it's infancy, but certainly in it's childhood compared to now. Often it was the blind leading the blind. :o There wasn't any freefly then, just belly flying. I don't think I ever saw anybody stand in ff until the '80s. It was a big deal when someone could sky surf or have even a semblance of control when using a skiboard.

Newer jumpers have a vast pool of experienced jumpers (with much higher jump numbers) to learn from now, you're very fortunate. :)
eta: All the video recording available now also helps jumpers learn more easily.
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

It was a big deal when someone could sky surf or have even a semblance of control when using a skiboard.

In 79 or 78 I tried jumping with a Styrofoam belly board. The damn thing almost beat me to death.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

These are my hype videos before I go jumping

https://vimeo.com/46880189

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFEN7BQ7Zus

I've actually started a self project to collect skydving videos, pro, amateur, etc. from everyone. If you guys want to add your own videos or videos you found maybe you can help out? www.bonsaut.com I can only youtube for so long!