CHRCNF

Washing a Jumpsuit

What is the general consensus for this?

What is the best method for washing a jumpsuit, and more importantly, how often should it be washed?

Jumping in the Texas heat, I assume I'd need more frequent washings, I just haven't really heard this topic discussed much at the DZ and wanted to tackle the issue before my jumpsuit starts smelling TOO bad.

CHRCNF

I wash it in cold water, in the washing machine, on the delicate cycle. Then I hang it to air-dry. I do it two or three times a year as a rule.

I've been doing that with the same jumpsuit for 5 1/2 years now. It's held up OK.

I'm sure it'd last longer if I never washed it, but I hate having to chase it around the packing room when it gets too dirty :ph34r:

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

How often? When ever it starts to smell bad. I've washed one suits twice this year due to sweating in the heat.

If it can with stand 200 MPH winds then I don't see what a washing machine could do to it really. Besides both of my suits have that little tag on them with instructions on how to wash them so why not wash it?
Your rights end where my feelings begin.

Also mate any velcro and zip up the zippers. The hook velcro eats up material. Check the pockets for stuff. I wash my tandem suit probably every week but I sized it to allow for shrinkage when I bought it. Also if you see any damage, (I.E. popped stiches, broken zippers, or torn booty stiches), get them fixed before you wash the suit. I've gotten over 3 years on my current tandem suit and it's still going strong although it's starting to look more grey than black.

I use cold water, mild detergent and hand power only.

depending on the colors, you could start with some vinegar and water only to fix the colors so they don't bleed (specially if you have red on white)
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

My newest RW suit is 8 years old. I wash it at least once a month during the summer, sometimes more often (especially if I've been to Perris). I haven't seen any adverse effects from washing it, and it feels much better when I put it on when it's freshly washed.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I heard a good way to clean a smelly jumpsuit without putting it through the washing machine is to wet it and freeze it for a day or two. I haven't tried it yet.

THAT'S not going to get the piss & blood out of it.
Every fight is a food fight if you're a cannibal

Goodness is something to be chosen. When a man cannot choose, he ceases to be a man. - Anthony Burgess

>If it can with stand 200 MPH winds then I don't see what a washing machine
>could do to it really . . .

Well, packing is more damaging to a canopy than deployment because of all the handling of the fabric. That being said, most of the wear from my jumpsuits comes from:

-walking on booties
-velcro near the sleeves (gloves, altimeter)
-abrasion on the knees/chest from the tunnel

My newest RW suit is 8 years old. I wash it at least once a month during the summer, sometimes more often (especially if I've been to Perris). I haven't seen any adverse effects from washing it, and it feels much better when I put it on when it's freshly washed.

I wish my DZO would read this. OMG, are the RW suits @my DZ obscenely smelly. They remind me of a high school locker room...

>If it can with stand 200 MPH winds then I don't see what a washing machine
>could do to it really . . .

Well, packing is more damaging to a canopy than deployment because of all the handling of the fabric. That being said, most of the wear from my jumpsuits comes from:

-walking on booties
-velcro near the sleeves (gloves, altimeter)
-abrasion on the knees/chest from the tunnel

True but when you're packing a canopy you're being fairly 'violent' towards it. But when you're using it the only violent part is the deployment which is sort compared to packing it.

Jump suit on the other hand is exposed to the FF winds for 40-60 seconds.

Washing machine just gently spins it around for a while and then does a final whacking to get it dry.
Your rights end where my feelings begin.

I wish my DZO would read this. OMG, are the RW suits @my DZ obscenely smelly. They remind me of a high school locker room...

Most DZOs appreciate people who help out around the DZ. Scoop up a few suits in your arms & tell him you volunteer to take them home to wash them. That might give him the hint, too.

Does anyone have detergent recommendations? I've heard Woolite from some folks and other people don't seem to think it matters. Suit is a Vertical RW suit with Taslan, spandex, ripstop, cordura, and leather booties. They don't have any detergent recommendations on the website and too late to get an email response.

If you are gonna wash your jumpsuit, I would advise getting it dry cleaned so as not to cause problems with the fabric and colors.

Na.. Cold water, delicate cycle, rack dry.

And its not a "if" you wash it.. Unless you dont want anyone to jump with you!
Remster

If you are gonna wash your jumpsuit, I would advise getting it dry cleaned so as not to cause problems with the fabric and colors.

Na.. Cold water, delicate cycle, rack dry.

And its not a "if" you wash it.. Unless you dont want anyone to jump with you!

I agree with Remster. Dry cleaning involves SOLVENTS! Anything Nylon, Polyester, or any other petroleum based fabric isn't going to like that one bit.

Don't stick it in the dryer. Heat isn't friendly.

If you have access to a front-loading washer, (or go to a laundry-mat) that is going to be more gentle.
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

I think they like you smelling like AFF student, a piquant boquet of fear, sweat and urine that makes you want to take a shower after every jump!
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

My wife builds RW suits. Her materials are supplex, super stretch spandex, pack cloth, some acrylic (for the big boys), some kind of cord stuffing for the grippers and leather on the booties. She recommends cold water, regular cycle, take it out immediately after the end of the spin (don't let it sit and have colors bleed) and hang it up to air dry. Do NOT put it in the dryer.

So far she's had no problems with this method.