wadebaird

Dicussion on a new small DZ plane (206 or simliar)

Hello everyone,

My DZ is looking at options for a different plane. We have a 182 wide body with a 300 HP IO 550, so we are used to a very fast climbing 182. We are hitting the limit of the 4-5 person jumper capacity of this plane though.

I am hoping others can offer their opinions on solutions. My initial thoughts are a 206 or 207, but I am not sure if we can get those to climb the same as our 182 (I don't think we could afford a 500k turbine in the 206). Are there other options for this size of a plane other than a Cessna?

The only other option I can think of is getting another kick ass 182. Then we have the option of running a more inexpensive plane on slower days and 2 planes on busier days.

Any (helpful) thoughts would be appreciated! Thanks!

The 206 we lease will take off after our 182 and beat it to altitude every time. They're not bad planes though I'm not sure how much more use it will be as we only ever put 5 (plus pilot) in it.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

The 206 is going to be a money pit for you. 1 jumper more will not offset the acquisition cost nor the increased operating costs.

Get another 182, or think about affording the lease on a Caravan.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Hi Wade.

We have a 206 with a 520 and two regular wide body 182s.

The 206 is nice when we have two tandems and one video but we almost never go above 10,000 and usually only go to 9,000 and we only put 5 people in to full altitude. We often have a sixth go to 5,000 and get out on our way up.

All of our planes climb at roughly the same rate.

I think I would go with another 182 with a P-punk 550.

Be the canopy pilot you want that other guy to be.

You will need to put a lot of upgrades on the 206 to get it to climb. 550, wing-x, sportsman and the airframe and upgrades make it expensive. It will still not climb as fast as your 182 with your performance mods. If you only carry 4 in the 182 and do handycam, stick with that system. If you carry 4 and do outside vid, you will benefit from the 206. I can stop in with one of mine if or when I stop at my folks in Jamestown. oh and 207s do not climb.

The 206 is going to be a money pit for you. 1 jumper more will not offset the acquisition cost nor the increased operating costs.

I don't see where the 206 with a 550 has operating costs any higher than a 182 with a 550.
Purchase price may be a bit higher, but wide body 182's tend to be more expensive than the older narrow bodies. I don't know about 182 inflight door costs vs. the lexan roll up for the 206. I can't say I enjoy doing 3 tandems from a 206, but if you have the horses it is a cash machine for the DZ.

Get another 182, or think about affording the lease on a Caravan.

The jump from 182 to a turbine is a big one. I would be very careful about that. We went from a 206 to a turbine and, while the staff loved it, the stress on the DZO was pretty apparent. The other issue is IAD/SL jumps. If you do them can you afford to keep the Cessna for that purpose. If you then try to keep the Cessna busy you tend to make your turbine less viable.

I think I would go with another 182 with a P-punk 550.

P-punk (sic) modifies O-470s and TSIO-520s.

Overall I think the key is what do you need it for? If your tandem business is growing I would buy the U206. If you are still primarily a FJC based DZ with a healthy fun jumper crowd probably another kick-ass 182 is better as almost every type of exit other than the tandem is easier from a 182.
I see no scenario where a P206 is the better fit.

The 206 is cheaper per seat in operating cost than a 182. If you buy a U206C model or newer (large horizontal) and do the mods required to make it climb it is twice (or more) the initial investment cost of the hot rod 182. The U206C and above have held there value better than the 182 during this recession and will probably do better because of the world wide demand and US dollar fluctuations. Also if that guy with the Pt6-20 U206 ever flies you will be ready to move up.