loch1957

question

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnJX2FiW-ik

in this video during his jump, what the hell is he pulling on? He doesn't seem to use toggles, is it front risers and if so why?

He's jumping a giant 7-cell accuracy canopy, I believe it's a Jalbert Parafoil (or something similar, please correct me if someone knows differently).

Accuracy canopies fly VERY differently from typical sport canopies, and are designed to land on a very small target, as he does at the end of the video. They aren't designed to dive, and the easiest way to put them in a steep dive is by pulling down on an outside front suspension line. We use this trick to build accuracy stacks at my DZ.

It's not necessary on a typical sport canopy.

Edited again to add: It's a Flight Concepts Demo 7-Cell.

Wouldn't toggles cause a spiral as well? Sorry I don't have enough jumps to have a clue.

Toggles slow down one side and cause the other to go past it, thus generating a turn.

Pulling on the front outside line causes that side to speed up and dive, thus causing a much faster turn.

Just think of where the steering lines are attached, and where the front lines are attached and of the physics of such input.

I'm pretty sure the swoopers at the home DZ work their front risers. From what I can tell from their videos, they dive on the front risers, then pull out of the dive on the back risers. It's not really a technique I'd like to try without some coaching, though, and I want to be a lot more comfortable with my canopy before going all crazy like that. Maybe in a couple-three hundred jumps.

"Front riser dive above 2500 feet" is listed on the A license, but mentions it can be waived and no one ever asked me to do one. I'll ask the instructor, next time I do a canopy class (Probably in the Spring.)
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

Front outside line used in order to spiral. Less pressure than trying to hold down the front riser for a long time.
Guess he likes a bit more speed than doing toggle spirals on a bigger, slower canopy.

Is that trick used much??

Yeah it's used all the time on accuri barges, if you pull down on the fronts all you'll do is chin-ups.

By isolating the front corner you get an impressive diving spiral without rolling the whole side & wearing yourself out.

Another way I do it without 'diving' as much but getting a lot of spins (for smoke trails) is to put the right toggle in my left hand, pull down and hook my thumb in the legstrap/MLW junction...then grab the line with the right and and push out & away.

yaHOOO!

In this vid I'd bet he's spinning her down fast to make a time window...that's really the only way to do that on a demo/accuri canopy and still have enough juice to flare at the end.

The 'other' line he pulls is obviously the flag deployment line...that system was first developed by Neal Beverley with the Knights 1/2 a millon years ago. (Neal & I took our FJC the same place, same day, his dad was D-288)

B|

Edited to add: Flag, Smoke and Game Ball...

~Freakin' TEXTBOOK stadium demo, a tip of the hat & a hearty 'Fuckin A' to THAT guy!

He's definately got his shit together & wired tight.

Notice at exit he's not checkin' his altimeter he's checking his WATCH...:o

THAT'S a demo jumper! B|B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Hi Loch

The jumper had a lot stuff going on.

He was popping smoke (spiral) , had a flag connected to somwthing, and a DC center landing.

The flag may have somthing to do with not steeringwith the brakes, BTW he was also carrying a football.:o

Be interesting to hear what twardo has to say about the demo.;)

R.

Hi Loch

The jumper had a lot stuff going on.

He was popping smoke (spiral) , had a flag connected to somwthing, and a DC center landing.

The flag may have somthing to do with not steeringwith the brakes, BTW he was also carrying a football.:o

Be interesting to hear what twardo has to say about the demo.;)

R.

Beat ya Krip! :ph34r:

The flag is packed into a sleeve on the underside of the canopy, pulling that 'extra' line you see him grabbing feeds it out. . . I've got a canopy set up the same way PLUS two sets of streamers attacthed to the topskin at the tail. LOTTA pack volume!! ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~