dontlikemustard

do you tell your potential employers you skydive?

While skydiving can make you appear to have some good qualities, such as:

-being adventurous
-outgoing
-willing to try new things

It also comes across as suicidal, or reckless to a lot of whuffo's out there.

So here's the situation, you are at a job interview, your employer asks you about your life outside work...

Will you tell him you are a skydiver?

I'll start off with saying Im a College student.

With that being said I got to ALOT of Career fairs, (i've been to 5 this semester) and each fair had 15+ employers there.

So anyway, onto my point. On my resume, under activities/ hobbies /recreational etc (no that isnt actually a title on my resume) I put down skydiving, and every single time I've had an interview the recruiter / interviewer asked about skydiving, and 100% of the time so far its made a really good Ice Breaker, which then lead into a really good conversation relating to the job.

I've had lots of interviews this semester, and I dont plan on taking it off :P It's only served me well!

I've sat on both sides of the table, so I know what they're looking for. I can also spot interviewers who aren't sure what they're looking for, and there are a lot of those. But that's another topic.

I could see citing formation jumps as proof of teamwork skills. Especially if there's video evidence or the formation was a record attempt. And especially if you led and planned them.

Other thing is if you're a boring individual and don't stand out much, your name might not come up at the end of the day. Being tagged as "The guy who skydives" isn't necessarily bad if it has them talking about you. You're already standing out from the crowd at that point. Just make sure it isn't all you talk about, or you'll slip back into the "mediocre" category pretty quickly.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

No. Then again, I don't usually talk about snowboarding, brewing beer, cooking, home renovations, car maintenance, or that great book I read the other day either.

I talk about the job.

If what I have to say about what they'd be hiring me to do isn't interesting enough...

Makes you look cool, but yes, don't spend too much time talking about it.

Also, if I was the boss, and somebody had skydiving on his resume, I would certainly NOT hire the guy. We would never be working then. hehe
You have the right to your opinion, and I have the right to tell you how Fu***** stupid it is.
Davelepka - "This isn't an x-box, or a Chevy truck forum"
Whatever you do, don't listen to ChrisD.

No. When I got this job I made a point of not mentioning it. A few years later I told my boss. He then told me he would have never hired me if he had known.

Not sure how serious he was, but he was not the adventurous type at all. If you can read that the guy would be impressed, let him know. If you can;t read him, keep it secret.

Yeah i have it written on my CV. I had an interview once with the MD and another Director and they went through my CV. Skydiving was not mentioned once in any interviews but they must have seen it on my CV. 1 day later i get a call from the MD saying that i got the job :) Started work and after a week found out the MD was a skydiver. Not saying thats what got me the job but i think it certanly helped out.

Cheers Don

you are at a job interview, your employer asks you about your life outside work...

Don't do it. Outside of other jumpers, think about how many people you talk to about jumping who say that 'you're crazy'. When was the last time someone hired an employee they thought was 'crazy'.

Think about all the other people who say they're interested, but never actually jump. If I was talking to an opera singer, I would also be polite and act interested, but I'm really not interested. That's because I don't like opera, but it could also be because I thought opera was unsafe and 'crazy', in either case it wouldn't appear that way to the opera singer to whom I was speaking.

Share as little as possible when interviewing for a job. You can always tell them more about yourself later, but it's impossible to take something back once it's out of the bag. Get the job, prove your competence and that you're an asset to the company, and then you can reveal the 'real you'.

I just got a new job (start in a couple weeks). I didn't bring up that I am a skydiver or anything to that effect.

Yesterday I had to fill out the HR paperwork and it requires me to list other employment... So I did, but didn't make a big deal about it.

I did talk to my program manager about the airplane I'm building though.:)
If skydiving is considered crazy, building your own airplane seems a lot crazier.

"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

While interviewing for this job (flight test engineer) I listed that I'm an instructor. It came up later in the interview and the general joke was that I might be a premature exit risk. "Wait, whats that red light? Shit, I'm out of here!" They briefly asked what skydiving has taught me and I touched on the basic areas like thinking on my feet, troubleshooting, working well with people, etc. It seemed to really help and here I am now.

Like others have said, it depends on your job title but with people who routinely fly 20 million dollar jets outside of their envelope, bail-out is a real possibility and not such a crazy idea. If you list it, be sure to tie it to real world skills that make you a better candidate.
"Are you coming to the party?
Oh I'm coming, but I won't be there!"
Flying Hellfish #828
Dudist #52

I'm an experienced person and any interview i go on people generally know me. I have not been asked personal questions during interviews but it does come up during drinks or dinner. I dont hide from it and have actually gotten a very positive response in my expereince. I have a job that is purely performance based and involves risk, so perhaps that is why i get that response. people really dont care about what i do on my own time.

My boss actually brings it up to customers all the time. he thinks its a great conversation starter. but then again, im a known entity and skydiving is tame compared to my reputation for coke and hookers.
"The point is, I'm weird, but I never felt weird."
John Frusciante

>Will you tell him you are a skydiver?

Not unless it has something to do with the job. If it's an IT serviceman, no. If it's a rigger for UPT, then yes. If you teach skydiving, and it's for a position that requires that you teach, then perhaps.

My girlfriend got told that she had scored higher on an intake evaluation for something because she'd represented her country at something. The fact that it was skydiving wasn't important, but for whatever reason, it moved her up the list.
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

she'd represented her country at something

And that's different.

I've had roles in training and dealing with adult education in corporate settings before. Saying you are a a trained coach and instructor may help there too.

Horseback riding, and skydiving, not very relevant.
Remster

I did, and after they hired me they told me it played a big part in their decision. The key is to demonstrate how it relates. I was applying for a sales management/strategy role. They liked my jumping because I was able to use it to demonstrate:

-Discipline
-How to properly analyze risk
-When to assume risk
-threat analysis
-demonstrate i had a clear decision making process
-experience managing and training others (coach)
-nonverbal communication
-teamwork/cooperation
-leadership

Again, it all depends on how you sell it and can show some sort of relationship.
Fiend

I am about to take my last voyage, a great leap in the dark. - Thomas Hobbes.

So here's the situation, you are at a job interview, your employer asks you about your life outside work...

It's an interesting question. So far I have not--however I'm beginning to wonder whether I should begin doing so. I've tended to pursue skydiving in fits and starts and only recently obtained my A license. I think I would feel more comfortable mentioning it now that I'm a licensed skydiver (which shows a certain ability to stick to and reach a goal--potentially relevant to an employer) as opposed to it simply being a bucket list item (less relevant).

However it would only really come up if one made it a certain way in the interview process. You wouldn't mention skydiving on a resume except near the bottom under 'interests and activities' unless it were a skydiving related job. And only the first few lines of a resume are likely to be scanned by the employer the first time they look at it. So you are going to need some real skills in the job to get your foot in the door--it would only be relevant later in the process.
"It's hard to have fun at 4-way unless your whole team gets down to the ground safely to do it again!"--Northern California Skydiving League re USPA Safety Day, March 8, 2014

Again, it all depends on how you sell it and can show some sort of relationship.

In sales management yes it could be a positive factor...not so much with other endeavors.

SOME employers have those preconceived notions and any attempt to 'sell it' can make ya look irrational, unrealistic, like a death-wisher that can't be depended on...always remember how WE see 'our' world is a far cry from what most outsiders perceive.

I once held what the company referred to (constantly:S) as a 'Key' managerial position.

80+ % was military contracts, I held a secret clearance and dealt mainly with prototype hardware for a skunk-works subcontractor.

My resume listed 'outdoor activities' without going into detail. . .I figured 'don't ask don't tell' unless they push for specifics. I certainly wasn't going to lie, and it didn't come up 'then'.

It did however come up during the FBI background search ~
Life member in the NRA - GOOD thing...
10 year member of the USPA - not so much. :ph34r:

I ended up having a LONG discussion with both human racehorses & a couple exec VP's.

There was actually a private aviation clause in my contract, but it was worded as such to mean 'don't start flying lessons'.

They so graciously decided to 'allow' me to skydive only because I'd already logged 1000 jumps...it did get a bit festive though I must say. :S:ph34r:

Forward a couple years and the 1st Gulf War is starting...I received a registered letter requesting my compliance with some BS company 'wartime rules'.

Overtime is mandatory bla bla...no vacations bla bla...NO Sport SKYDIVING! :o

Signed it and then did a demo into the Miramar Airshow a week later...Explaining I wasn't' 'sport' skydiving, that I was working in a position as a paid professional... was amusing for all. :$

What they ended up doing was taking out a life-insurance policy on me that I had to pay for if I wanted to keep jumping...naming the corp. as the beneficiary. It was a spanking, I deserved it so I paid the $.

My boss said I could 'fight it' if I wanted...I said if I did that, they might incorrectly get the impression I cared about inconsequential B.S. when there was important work to be done.

He ate it up, must not have realized I meant my WEEKEND demo-jumping 'work'. :D

Anyway, I kept a great job & continued jumping out of 'perfectly good airplanes' >:(

POINT being~
it's not necessarily a great and positive thing to flaunt involvement in an activity many have little understanding of, and often what they DO 'understand' is WAY wrong.

Gotta kinda be careful which path you take.

Human racehorses was much more interested in my 'leadership abilities' in THEIR field than how many times I successfully spotted a stick for a tight night demo. ;)

( i DID get major brownie points once for a bandit flag jump into the company picnic though ) B|

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

In reality, not many people care about your hobbies, so if it affects the interview one way or the other, I'd wonder if that's someone I'd like to work for.

That said - The payoff depends on the interviewer and how you use it. But don't just put it on the resume. In fact, delete the 'personal interests' section completely - it's used to screen out, not screen in.

But I don't volunteer personal stuff like that unless asked, but then always be honest and present it in terms that relate to the interview. So, if they ask what your hobbies our outside interests are - pick a true one that will help the interview - if you think it's skydiving, great. if you think skydiving will hurt the interview talk about something else (Golf, skiing, tennis, charity work, family).

it's really situational - suck it up and learn to establish a rapport - interviews are great, you get to talk about a subject you SHOULD be very familiar with - yourself

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants