Pollock91

Psychology question

1)Whats your personal motivation behind jumping out of an airplane.

At first it was the novelty. Then it was the challenges: dealing with fear (it did scare me!) and learning new skills. Now (well, I'm grounded for a bit) it's still about challenges: dealing with nerves, learning new skills (always new stuff to learn here.) Also it's a very unique experience- as others have said, freefall doesn't look or feel much like falling. It's a lot like flying. And the canopy ride is fun too

2) What factor does adrenaline [play?]in YOUR own skydives.

I don't enjoy adrenaline that much. Too much of it can be distracting IMHO.
I've heard (non skydivers) say stuff like "People who skydive don't react to adrenaline the way normal people do so they have to do crazy stuff to have fun..." but I don't think that applies to everyone.

3)What factor does pushing your skills to the next level play in your time in the sky

A lot. There's so much to learn! I suppose the "pushing skills to the next level" could be split off into two categories. Were you thinking in terms of learning to do more exciting and risky moves? Or mastering the basics? I'm defiantly more into mastering the basic stuff- partially because it's safer, partially because I'm not very good at them yet, and partially because I believe it it will come in handy in the long run. But that's just me...
My blog with the skydiving duck cartoons.

1. Just wanted to try something diferent. Overcome fear was part of it.

2. I found it addictive so I suppose adrenaline did play a part (been over 1 year since I jumped)

3. I did not really push skills to limit just alot of tandems and 5 AFFS. Found doing those sufficent to keep my happy. flying own canopy was fun.. tandems became a bit lame after 20.. but after 12 months would be good to do again.
I tend to be a bit different. enjoyed my time in the sport or is it an industry these days ??

1. I wanted to do this since I was young. (jumping from the house roof etc) Also, tends to keep me sane-ish.
2. Awesome, all the chemicals being thrown around in your body.
3. BIG, I like to improve, but then again, I always have time for fun jumps. Yet, you learn from every jump, be it fun or comp.

Why don't you go skyjump, and then you will know firsthand.....
You have the right to your opinion, and I have the right to tell you how Fu***** stupid it is.
Davelepka - "This isn't an x-box, or a Chevy truck forum"
Whatever you do, don't listen to ChrisD.

1)Whats your personal motivation behind jumping out of an airplane.

Always wanted to try it. Did. Got hooked.

2) What factor does adrenaline in YOUR own skydives.

It's exciting, but it's not that so much, as it's just plain fun.

3)What factor does pushing your skills to the next level play in your time in the sky

I figure I'll just progress at my own rate, and there's no need or urge to push it, as long as I'm safe and having fun. It'll just happen on its own.