dpfire29

How often does line twist happen in student jumps

i am not real educated on wl, i am 220 and 5,6 good amount of muscle but some fat also, i will be jumping a 260, could you help me understand this a little more please.

There is quite a good explanation in the SIM (free download from the USPA). But basically it is your canopy size in square feet divided by your exit weight (you plus equipment and clothing) in pounds. So a 200 square foot canopy with a person who weighs 220 pounds is about 1.1:1 wing loading.

The recommendations in the sim are to stay at about 1:1 until 200 jumps (C license), then 1.2:1 until D license (500 jumps), and then a maximum of 1.4:1 unless you get further training. Many people choose to ignore the recommendations, but you tend to break less bones staying conservative...:D
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

i am not real educated on wl, i am 220 and 5,6 good amount of muscle but some fat also, i will be jumping a 260, could you help me understand this a little more please.

Your instructors should go over wing loading as well as how to address line twists in your first jump course. Go to it with an open mind and ask a lot of questions - that will be your best source of information, not videos or the internets.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

But basically it is your canopy size in square feet divided by your exit weight (you plus equipment and clothing) in pounds. So a 200 square foot canopy with a person who weighs 220 pounds is about 1.1:1 wing loading.

That would be exit weight in pounds per canopy size in sq.ft.

220 lbs divided by 200 sq ft. = 1.1
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

But basically it is your canopy size in square feet divided by your exit weight (you plus equipment and clothing) in pounds. So a 200 square foot canopy with a person who weighs 220 pounds is about 1.1:1 wing loading.

That would be exit weight in pounds per canopy size in sq.ft.

220 lbs divided by 200 sq ft. = 1.1

Oops, I actually 'corrected' it from that while doing the post. Thanks for correcting it...
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

Oops, I actually 'corrected' it from that while doing the post. Thanks for correcting it...

Correcting a correction is always correct if you do it correctly. Is that correct?
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

I've never had a line twist. Unless you count a 1/4 twist but that was because I dumped in a full track which isn't very wise.

Ive never had a problem dumping in full track and dont understand how this can be a bad thing. This is pretty much the norm after breakoff where we jump. Track, maybe roll, quick wave and pull.

As for line twists ive 200 jumps and gotten line twists about 4 times total since jump 1 and they are nothing to worry about on student canopies. just kick out like on a swing.

Your instructors should go over wing loading as well as how to address line twists in your first jump course.

In the FJC at my home DZ, we address line twists. However, we don't mention "wing loading". Our course is to prep the student for the FIRST jump, nothing more. There is no need to clutter the FJC student's head with stuff that they don't need for the first jump. There are many instructional jumps later to cover that material, IF they choose to continue jumping.
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

I've never had a line twist. Unless you count a 1/4 twist but that was because I dumped in a full track which isn't very wise.

Ive never had a problem dumping in full track and dont understand how this can be a bad thing. This is pretty much the norm after breakoff where we jump. Track, maybe roll, quick wave and pull.

As for line twists ive 200 jumps and gotten line twists about 4 times total since jump 1 and they are nothing to worry about on student canopies. just kick out like on a swing.

I wish I had the same experience. During my first 50 jumps I dumped in a full track. Blew open the 2 right outer cells on my spectre 210 B|
"Are you coming to the party?
Oh I'm coming, but I won't be there!"
Flying Hellfish #828
Dudist #52