poindej

Awesome Mr. Bill

Seriously? The video guy had to pull UNDER the guy that fell off the attempted Mr Bill?

Fuck that noise. :|

The only thing I even saw that looked reasonable was the door opening and climb out.

"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

That is an awesome number of GoPros on a single jump. I'm surprised the footage wasn't edited to include everyone's POV. That's why you had that many, right?
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Mr Bills don't always work, actually most of the time from what I have seen they don't work but they do make for some good video!

I would think that the 3rd guy would have seen that it failed and the hanger was coming down towards him. If he did and still pulled he's a fucking idiot.

I don't think the two guys are idiots for trying it, all though there are better ways to launch a Mr Bill. I think the extra guy is what could have caused more issues.

That is an awesome number of GoPros on a single jump. I'm surprised the footage wasn't edited to include everyone's POV. That's why you had that many, right?

My thoughts exactly. I mean, guys I was really hoping for each of you to have the front and backwards facing GoPros on your helmets. I'm telling ya, if you just had more POV action shots, you guys wouldn't have looked like assholes ;-)

The guy with camera is an idiot for pulling under that shit.

THIS!

As for go-pros, everyone has them so 3 for 3 isnt that bad. but yea they could have had some on sticks to go those cool full body self shots. one duct taped to each arm would have been really cool!

My thoughts exactly. I mean, guys I was really hoping for each of you to have the front and backwards facing GoPros on your helmets. I'm telling ya, if you just had more POV action shots, you guys wouldn't have looked like assholes ;-)

That's the thing with people's legs - they're only held on with a little sticky pad so if you get, say, a bridle caught round one it'll pop right off no problem.

Were you in on this? Here's a tip for next time, aside from don't try that again, the camera guy should stay on the plane and watch the deployment. If Mr Bill hangs on, then he can do a clear-and-pull, and fly down to film the pair and Mr Bill leaving the other jumper. If it doesn't work, the camera guy isn't in freefall under the tumbling Mr Bill (as many others pointed out, is not a good thing).

As in any skydive, you should plan out the entire jump, from exit to landing, before you board the plane. In this case, planning would have revealed that if the exit/deployment was succesful, the camera guy would have very little footage followed by a long, solo freefall.

Of course, if you include the 'worst case scenario' in your planning, that would have revealed the problem with the camera guy being under the failed Mr Bill, with My Bill in freefall above him. A little forethought could have put the idea of tracking out from under the guy on the table, and eliminated the camera guy's (shit) decision to dump right away under Mr Bill.

As an example, when we do wingsuit rodeo tracking dives, it's a bunch of non-wingsuiters following the wingsuit rodeo as the leader. I exit right next to the rodeo just in case the rider falls off on exit. In that case, I'll transition to a back track, and lead a regular tracking dive. If you put all your 'eggs in one basket', and that basket relies on a jumper(s) pulling off some sort of 'trick', you need to have a solid plan B in place if the 'trick' goes to shit to prevent everyone else on the jump from having to come up with a plan B in freefall because the chances are that not everyone will be on the same page.

Why you would post that is beyond me. The main bridle wrapping around anything is a key ingredient to the recipe of disaster. Next time try to be a bit more stable on exit. I’m trying not to think about how bad things would have gotten if the bridle would have tied itself around both your legs.B|

You and I have different ideas of "awesome"

1. As Dave pointed out the camera guy should stay in the plane and bail out after it work/does not work.

2. Your exit idea was the worst I have seen. I am not going to go into detail on the internet, but you guys are lucky that that PC in tow cleared.

Get with someone who has experience and these are easy to pull off.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334