PhreeZone

USPA Skydiving Museum

The only reason I would support USPA's involvement in the museum would be if there were positive financial reasons for doing so. I can't imagine that being true however. There is no way a skydiving museum would generate enough revenue to support even the cost of the staff, let alone the facility cost. Put the most important gear in existing avaition museums.

Tom B

The only reason I would support USPA's involvement in the museum would be if there were positive financial reasons for doing so.

The more I think about this the more I'm against it, even if there is a positive financial outcome. Let's keep the USPA doing what they were founded to do and that's keep skydivers skydiving. If we are to have a museum then let it be founded and operated by a separate group, either a spin off of the USPA, PIA, anyone but the USPA.

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

After reading in this months Parachutist about the new muesum that the USPA has planned I was wondering others opinions on this subject. Also if it is built, would you visit it?

Rather than going to a museum, I need only go into my gear room. I have a good 60 years covered.

Actually, I doubt if anyone is going to do much better than Bob Sinclair's bus. A tour of his collection of artifacts takes HOURS (no fooling), and the anecdotes behind each item make it time well spent.

I think a museum is fine, but I can't see what it has to do with the business of tending to the needs of the club. I can see where having the museum joined at the hip to the club could do severe damage to our ability to function, should the museum prove to be a white elephant (it wouldn't be the first time such a thing has occurred).

As a stand-alone entity, fine. As any part of USPA, not so good.

Blue skies,

Winsor

New guy here, 22 jumps, still in student status but almost to "A" license and enjoying every minute of it. A museum? Why not! In doing the arithmetic, approximately 1 out of every 10,000 people in the US have a USPA skydiving license. Perhaps the remaining 9,999 unfortunate souls who have not known the joy of freefall will get some, albeit very small semblance of this great sport. Skydiving has a history worth telling and I'll be donating to the museum as well!B|