JoeyH

Packers at busy dz's

Kind of a loaded question my friend, lots of factors decide on how much you get.

1. Pecking order
2. hours of ops
3. number of tdms per day
4. weather
5. gear issues
6. your abilities
7. dz policies (only riggers pack)
8. pecking order
9. pecking order
10. pecking order
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

You might think that, but it's true.

Even as a rigger/tandem-instructor I can't really just walk on to a new (to me) DZ's mat and start packing the DZ's tandem gear without the head packer being cool with it.

Even if I did, there would usually be hell to pay.

Granted at my DZ, I can pick up and pack any rig I choose, the packers won't say much to me about it, but at the same time I don't usually grab a rig unless someone asks me too. I don't want to take cash out of their pocket.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

If you are a packer at a bigger busy dZ, like skydive Dallas, how many tandem packs do you get on average per day?

As many as you can get...AFTER you go through the probationary period of free packing for fun jumpers a minimum of 50 packs.

Then, if any of them are still alive, you're hired.
:P
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

You will survive......but you won't be driving a Ferrari, or a Ford for that matter.
You have the right to your opinion, and I have the right to tell you how Fu***** stupid it is.
Davelepka - "This isn't an x-box, or a Chevy truck forum"
Whatever you do, don't listen to ChrisD.

I was trying to think about numbers but I don't think that's it. The reality is that at a busy DZ, after you've established yourself (pecking order), there can be as many rigs to pack as you can handle. If you are a machine and can safely pack 30 tandems a day, there will probably still be more than that available. Getting your rigger's ticket will help. Also, if there are teams that are training, becoming the team packer can be an option too. 5 rigs per load doing 6 loads by lunch time can be a steady stream of income.

I've been packing fun jumpers for years. Ha just never got hired by a dz and its something I am looking into as a full time job.

Definitely didn't plan in driving a farrari. Haha. Just my bike.

As with many things in life, the lower your expectations are, the less likely you are to be disappointed.

Kevin K.

I was talking if a dz "hired" you, however let's be clear, you are a contractor and not an employee, I didn't "hire" you, you contracted for services rendered. That said, my contractors who were here first, kind of like a union, get first dibs on the work, the pecking order. You being the FNG around here and all that, means you get the left overs and get to clean the shit off the seats in the bathroom and take out the trash.... if I'm nice to you, I might let you mow the grass and pick up cig butts.

And while all that is going, your attitude in the whole deal is what will set the stage for you're future activities and the level or volume that you will be allowed to handle.

Packers are a dime a dozen and a great deal of them are some what slackers and lazy and are not the kind of contractors I would seek to staff my operation with. The kind of people you would find on my packing mat are going to be rated instructors and I prefer all the people packing hold a riggers ticket, most of them will have proven track record and yrs of experience. Those who are "young" and don't meet those standards will be raised from in house and trained to our standards and do things per company policies. (mine are pretty strict compared to others)

People walking in off the street would have a long road to go in order to earn a full time money making slot, that might take a couple seasons for you to work up to that.... Why?

Because I want the best people working for me, who will play ball and do things the way I want them done without grief over it consistently, they will all work well without supervision and will have earned the trust to operate my business. There for the earlier list above is a fairly common industry standard.

There are however more then enough places where you can live the lifestyle of the "professional packer" and live in your tent and ride you're bike around between PB&'js and mac & cheese and a game of hacky sack while you await the next paying customers to fight over or the beer light to come on for the day so you party the night away.... again.

I hear you. It's just an answer in a real world format and it's what you can expect to find in today's industry in a fair amount of places. What you take from that is on you. But you need to understand the fact is, the more hats you wear the more professional you are = more value you are to me as a DZO.

You can make a good living as a professional skydiver if you are willing to live that way and have the skills and ratings to do it. A lot of people started as packers! But now days it's an FAR and a lot more places are requiring a rigging ticket to pack for hire.

I hear you. It's just an answer in a real world format and it's what you can expect to find in today's industry in a fair amount of places. What you take from that is on you. But you need to understand the fact is, the more hats you wear the more professional you are = more value you are to me as a DZO.

You can make a good living as a professional skydiver if you are willing to live that way and have the skills and ratings to do it. A lot of people started as packers! But now days it's an FAR and a lot more places are requiring a rigging ticket to pack for hire.

Very good advice. After spending half my life hanging around skydiving, but not doing an awful lot, I decided recently to put more into it.

I've started at the bottom of the foodchain (lower than a packer:P), fueling the plane, gearing up tandems students etc. I'm already picking up other duties with more responsibility (including getting my packer rating - a requirement here for packing tandem and student mains).

Edited to add. Your profile says you've got 7 jumps. If you really want to get into it, think about planning out your jumping to get your B ASAP, and actively work towards getting your coach rating as close to 100 jumps as possible. Ask an AFF-I at your DZ for advice on preparing yourself to be a coach as soon as you get your A.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

I definitely need to get licensed and get jumping. I have been around drop zones all of my life.

Well being a dz brat is a whole other story... Should be much easier for you then.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

I can't tell. Is this supposed to be sarcastic?

If you're trying to get a job at the DZ you grew up at, you'll have a much easier time than one you just walked up to.;)
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message