jdpml

1ST 100 way . When / Where

The first 100 way was probably the most illusive formation ever attempted. For at least two years people traveled all over the US and Canada following the organizers in their efforts to gather both the aircraft and talent to get it done. Finally at the 1986 US Nationals in Muskogee, Oklahoma it all came together.

jon

I'd have like to have simply seen this one!
Eloy, Arizona, USA
(1 Shorts Brothers Skyvan and 13 DeHavilland Twin Otters)

Year
Size
Arantchi Tachkent, Ouzbekistan (Former USSR)

Ontario, California, USA

Tahlequah, Oklahoma, USA

Muskogee, Oklahoma, USA

Davis, California, USA

DeLand, Florida, USA

DeLand, Florida, USA

Muskogee, Oklahoma, USA

Quincy, Illinois, USA

Koksijde, Belgium

Quincy, Illinois, USA

Koksijde, Belgium

Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, USA

Bratislava, Slovakia
(unofficial - Registered in Guinness Book of World Records)

Anapa, Russia

Ottawa, Illinois, USA

Ubon Ratchathani, Thailand

Eloy, Arizona, USA

Korat, Thailand

Udon Thani, Thailand (5 Lockheed C130 Hercules)
Experience is what you get when you thought you were going to get something else.

AC DZ

Funny I stumbled across this tread tonight as I was drinking with my wife's uncle D-7406 who was part of the 100 way that came together at the US Nationals in Muskogee, Oklahoma and followed the attempt all over the US and Canada. I looked at his log book and there was plenty of 99 way's with the little someone funneled or was low comment. If you need any info I would be happy to put you in contact with him.

The first 100 way was probably the most illusive formation ever attempted. For at least two years people traveled all over the US and Canada following the organizers in their efforts to gather both the aircraft and talent to get it done. Finally at the 1986 US Nationals in Muskogee, Oklahoma it all came together.

jon

I was just a teenager when that record was done, mom was the judge for almost all of the OK nationals so we were forced to go every year as kids. :D If I remember right the saying for those two years while trying to get it was, "99 again". :) They got it on their "extra" last attempt early morning before Nationals started, if I remember correctly.

If 1979 36 way was at the Nationals then it was Richmond, Indiana.
skydived19006

Eloy, Arizona, USA

Year
Size
Arantchi Tachkent, Ouzbekistan (Former USSR)

Ontario, California, USA

Tahlequah, Oklahoma, USA

Muskogee, Oklahoma, USA

Davis, California, USA

DeLand, Florida, USA

DeLand, Florida, USA

Muskogee, Oklahoma, USA

Quincy, Illinois, USA

Koksijde, Belgium

Quincy, Illinois, USA

Koksijde, Belgium

Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, USA

Bratislava, Slovakia

Anapa, Russia

Ottawa, Illinois, USA

Ubon Ratchathani, Thailand

Eloy, Arizona, USA

Korat, Thailand

Udon Thani, Thailand (5 Lockheed C130 Hercules)

Eloy, Arizona, USA

Perhaps the most "interesting" jump was the early morning attempt where everyone's visor froze over due to the -34F exit temperatures. About 20 people took their helmets off so they could see. We landed and started walking back; we were back to the hangar before we heard the first "thud" of a helmet landing nearby.

I watched the 72 way build. It was something to see, even from the ground. About the 100 way, I remember someone projecting films of the funnels on the wall at Z-Hills one night, but I'm pretty sure that was before anyone had actually built and held one. They were impressive funnels though.

jonstark

The 72 way was at the end of the “wing wars” era. They were still pretty big and floppy though. Man oh man, was it ever LOUD rip tearing through the Florida sky!

That was the same weekend I got my first jump out of a Twin Otter. It was over at Daytona Airport, or someplace like that, and we got discount tickets if we bought them the night before, got up early and road the van over. We did an eight way and I messed up. I remember I was supposed to come in on Lew Sanborn's right and I came in on his left. I finally meet one of my heroes and screw it up, and in a way he can't miss. I felt like dirt. Speaking of dirt, I wondered about this aircraft situation when I saw the plane. It had wood trim around the lighting, nice carpet and the real thing that made me think this won't last long, a pilot and co-pilot wearing honest to God uniforms. So there we are on jump run with floaters hanging off the wood trim. I think they did one more load then took it home.

billvon

Eloy, Arizona, USA

Perhaps the most "interesting" jump was the early morning attempt where everyone's visor froze over due to the -34F exit temperatures. About 20 people took their helmets off so they could see. We landed and started walking back; we were back to the hangar before we heard the first "thud" of a helmet landing nearby.

Wasn't my call. Just glad we didn't die on the sunset load where the cockpit windows iced over and we all lost sight of each other on the left wing. Then we brought the formation around again and the lead skyvan ran out of oxygen. Landed with the load and one guy in my plane was crying because he couldn't jump out.
Chris Schindler
www.diverdriver.com
ATP/D-19012
FB #4125

>Landed with the load and one guy in my plane was crying because he couldn't jump out.

I blame YOU for his misery!

One one of the loads our O2 regulator froze. The pilot picked it up, whacked it a few times and then threw it to me and said "FIX IT!" (and it hurt; it was on a sheet of plywood.) This was one of the drawbacks of being close to last out; on the plus side, it was warmer up there.

billvon

>Landed with the load and one guy in my plane was crying because he couldn't jump out.

I blame YOU for his misery!

One one of the loads our O2 regulator froze. The pilot picked it up, whacked it a few times and then threw it to me and said "FIX IT!" (and it hurt; it was on a sheet of plywood.) This was one of the drawbacks of being close to last out; on the plus side, it was warmer up there.

LOL. Fix it.
Chris Schindler
www.diverdriver.com
ATP/D-19012
FB #4125

"Does anyone know if there is a copy of who was on that record jump,,old parachutist maybe ? I seem to be missing that entire year of my collection of Parachutist "

I remember the Parachutist article very clearly, because it began with a memorable single-word sentence : "Finally." They had reported on the numerous previous attempts, including one where the vacant 100th slot was filled by a cameraman after some poor sod went low - but it still didn't count because the judge required names, and all the named people had to dock.

I probably have that edition stored away, along with the other "landmark" editions. If you PM me with an e-mail address, I should be able to send you scans of the article.

BOB

"1979
Muskogee, Oklahoma, USA

Davis, California, USA

DeLand, Florida, USA

DeLand, Florida, USA

Muskogee, Oklahoma, USA "

I may be misremembering, but this list seems to miss out a few. I thought that Carl Boenish's famous movie "Skydive" shows the world's first 50-way, a penta-wedge done around 1978. I'm sure I remember a 60-way photo, published in Parachutist in the very early 80s (maybe at Perris?). And I think there was a 90-way between the 72 and 100, a couple of years later... But maybe they didn't meet the old "technical" rules, i.e. not held for x seconds.

Another good reason to go look out my old mags ...

BOB