JoeyH

Wings or vector?

I've been jumping my Wings for several years now. I have yet to run across any problems. I bought it over the Vector because I won a 50% off coupon at a Brest Cancer fundraiser. Im also still jumping a very old Vector (CRW rig). Both will get a hardy thumbs up from me.

Competition is our friend. It helps keep prices down. But moreover, it makes them work harder to develope good stuff. My personal oppinion... You'd be happy with either! Just stay away from that Racer? :P

Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

The Racer and Dolphin rigs are both very hideous looking to me. In my opinion, if it can look good, AND perform good, then why get the ugly one that is gonna piss off your rigger?? lol You'll be spending a lot of time with your rig, so get something YOU like. It's like asking other people to pick out a girlfriend for you.

I'd look into the Javelin. They are quite comfy.

I agree about the javelin. i just bought a used Odyssey and it is very comfortable.
You can't be drunk all day if you don't start early!

I own a Wings. I love it. As a jumper I couldn't be happier.

As a Rigger it took awhile to get the reserve to pack and close correctly and still be ascetically pleasing (no gaps between the pilot chute cap and the reserve container). But once I had it honed in - it's been perfect.

Vectors are excellent as well! But I liked saving the $ for my Wings.

Happy Hunting.
Woot Woot!

for me it was winning a 30% off coupon and being willing to wait. I ordered a Vector to fit from a 190 to a 150, currently flying a 210 and hoping to be near ready to move down once the container is done.

Which vector is that?
The V350?

Yes the V350. Confirmed by UPT's riggers and customer service!
In every man's life he will be allotted one good woman and one good dog. That's all you get, so appreciate them while the time you have with them lasts.

- RiggerLee

I've jumped a wings for 400 jumps so far, and I've gotta say my rig is super comfortable. I've always had good riggers who kept the pilot chute looking good. The few time it slipped, they just took a couple minute and straightened it out. For the price it's hard to argue especially if it's your first rig. My next rig will probably be a voodoo curv though, damn they look good !
I wanna go fast!

I just got a brand new V309 a few months ago. Although I have never jumped a Wings I can say without a doubt, having done a lot of research, that the Micron is a better rig. As regards comfort the spacer foam makes a lot of difference and I'd definitely recommend it. On balance I think a increases my chances of surviving if things go badly. One of my favourite parts of the rig is the UPT tuck tab semi-stowless bag, which is great to pack and gives consistently soft on heading openings every time. The only big downside of a Vector is the 6-9 months wait. Overall I am 100% satisfied with my new Micron and wouldn't be trading it for any other rig.

Get the Racer

flawed design

Best reserve pin protection on the market. I think the main pin could be better protected. My couple of racers were definitely the most comfortable rigs I've owned, right up there with my Infinities. What is the major design flaw you see?

BTW, Racers aren't ugly, just very spare and functional, like a race car. Nothing wrong with that. Overbuilt and clunky annoys me more.

Get the Racer

flawed design

Best reserve pin protection on the market. I think the main pin could be better protected. My couple of racers were definitely the most comfortable rigs I've owned, right up there with my Infinities. What is the major design flaw you see?

BTW, Racers aren't ugly, just very spare and functional, like a race car. Nothing wrong with that. Overbuilt and clunky annoys me more.

+1

Form follows function. It doesn't get more beautiful than that.
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

I hope you guys have good safety reasons why you want to buy a curv. I'm not saying anything bad about them - but purchasing a life saving device based purely on looks is idiotic. Do research on the safety side of any rig before you buy it. Ask riggers what they think. Investigate the pros and ons of skyhooks, rsls. In Some rigs aads function far better in than others. Know that. But being good looking is an incredibly poor choice for choosig a rig. But I bet 90 percent of skydivers couldn't discuss safety pros and cons of various rigs. And that's really sad for life saving devices.

But I bet 90 percent of skydivers couldn't discuss safety pros and cons of various rigs. And that's really sad for life saving devices.

It's been my experience that the majority of jumpers (with less than 10 years) don't know how their rig actually works. A lot I know in the USofA dont even know how to pack their rigs so they have someone else pack them for $5, and at NO stage do they even get to inspect their kit for wear and tear, let alone anything that might indeed be life threatening.:S:S:S:S.
There's way way too much apathy in the sport:|
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Get the Racer

flawed design

Best reserve pin protection on the market.

Hey John. Please elaborate on racer's superior R pin protection. When I was coming up in the mid-1990s, some people would bad mouth the racer and say it had poor pin protection due to the exposed pop-top being an easy snag point for airplane parts and suspension lines.

The argument made sense to me when I looked at a javelin, which has an exposed pop-top just like the racer, but they added a big closing flap over it for increased protection.

FWIW, I have 2500 jumps on my current rig, a mirage g3. Comfortable, reliable, and my 6 reserve rides had excellent deployments, even with some gnarly BP.

Hey John. Please elaborate on racer's superior R pin protection. When I was coming up in the mid-1990s, some people would bad mouth the racer and say it had poor pin protection due to the exposed pop-top being an easy snag point for airplane parts and suspension lines.

The argument made sense to me when I looked at a javelin, which has an exposed pop-top just like the racer, but they added a big closing flap over it for increased protection..

what does the pin protection and the exposed poptop have in common ? This is not relevant, the pin/s is/are against the back of the jumper, therefore having the best pin protection, there is a whole parachute between the plane parts and the pin.
The Javelin, as you describe it, does not have an exposed poptop, but a partially exposed reserve pilotchute. The pin is "protected" by the flap, but still exposed to being bent/hit/pushed out of the loop.
The Racer reserve pilotchute also has NO FLAP to push before launch, which by definition would insure an easier launch of said PC.
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

But I bet 90 percent of skydivers couldn't discuss safety pros and cons of various rigs. And that's really sad for life saving devices.

It's been my experience that the majority of jumpers (with less than 10 years) don't know how their rig actually works. A lot I know in the USofA dont even know how to pack their rigs so they have someone else pack them for $5, and at NO stage do they even get to inspect their kit for wear and tear, let alone anything that might indeed be life threatening.:S:S:S:S.
There's way way too much apathy in the sport:|

Such an elitist type comment... how do you walk around with that big head of yours?

I'm pretty sure any skydiver with a little bit of experience fully understands how their rig works; how to inspect the rig for wear, how to properly put the rig on, how to deploy their main, and how to deploy their reserve. Are you assuming that everyone should understand their rig at a rigging level? I also fly planes, but I guess I'm ignorant because I don't know some of the insignificant pros and cons between Cessna, Diamond Star, and Cirrus. I say "significant" because on paper or in a forum like this, you may be able to split-hairs on subjects to feed your ego, but all planes previously listed, from what I understand, have a pretty good safety record. You could say the same for "life saving devices" others have listed as well. Wow, a parachuting system must be so much more complex than a $200,000 plane. Please enlighten me wise one because for a second, I almost forgot how to use a parachute [:/][:/][:/][:/][:/][:/] (whats up with your overuse of emoticons?)

A lot I know in the USofA dont even know how to pack their rigs so they have someone else pack them for $5,

It's funny you mention that. At a place I use to jump at a bunch experienced skydivers had to "re-learn" how to pack a parachute becuase they were going to some boogie where the availability of packing consession was limited.

The reserve pins on the Racer are on the pack tray side of the container, next to the person wearing it. It's practically impossible to dislodge them by accident. Make sure you get your pincheck before you put the rig on, though.

On most Racer reserves, it seems the poptop is snugged down pretty well. I don't see it being much of a snag hazard, either the plane or lines. I made about 2000 jumps on them and had no problem. Doesn't mean it's never happened though.

Racers have 2 pin reserves. That means if you install an AAD you'll need a setup with two cutters, of course.

That's my opinion, for what it's worth. :)

Thank you, John. That helps a lot. I didn't realize that a racer's reserve pins are on the pack tray side. I would like to see a racer repacked sometime. I am in the market for a new rig, and I could give fuck-all about how pretty it looks, I want functionality.

The videos posted recently on dz.com by John Sherman were very enlightening. The racer reserve deployment is faster than a vector equipped with a skyhook.

JoeyH
With 7 jumps, I assume your student rigs had RSL's, ( or a Skyhook). Evaluate your choices and stick with those with a WORKABLE and RELIABLE RSL system. Nuff said..

"On the Racer/Elite the choice is yours, single sided, or cross - connected, or none (see your owners manual)" from http://www.jumpshack.com/default.asp?CategoryID=TECH&PageID=RSL&SortBy=TITLE_A

I just got a brand new V309 a few months ago. Although I have never jumped a Wings I can say without a doubt, having done a lot of research, that the Micron is a better rig.

Why?

Stronger main and reserve pin protection. Reserves on wings are a little trickier to pack and get to look nice. And, more importantly, to me, is the weak spring that the wings has on its reserve PC compared to vector and mirage. I've seen video of the spring on a wings PC do a 180 upon pulling the pin and hesitate on their back for a touch. Could happen on any rig, but that weak spring bothers me.

But...if you're in this sport to save money...you're in the wrong place.

Cheers,
Travis

Single sided RSL on a Racer?

I have queried some riggers and no one has ever heard of a single sided RSL option on a Racer. I have the Racer manual in my shop, and the DVD from PIA handed out by Jump Shack at PIA, and do not find any such option. So, I tried to contact Parchute Labs, using the "Contact Us" option. Got an invitation to a registration or something and tried it. It didn't work. Got some' failed attempt' message. I didn't call by telephone, but maybe I should have. Since I have tried all sources and cannot find the answer, can anyone tell me if Racer does offer a single sided option for RSL and where a description of it can be found? Hopefully photos or a diagram? I am not saying it isn't there, but if it is, I can't find it, nor have any riggers I have contacted ever heard of or seen that option.