JoeyH

Wings or vector?

Hey! So yeah... I have jumped and packed wings and it was a really comfortable harness and really easy to close when packing. Dads vector was also an easy pack but seemed like the harness was thinner and would be less comfortable (never jumped it because he had a velocity 96 in it) which is more reliable? Which is better?
Carpe Diem, even if it kills me

Hey! So yeah... I have jumped and packed wings and it was a really comfortable harness and really easy to close when packing. Dads vector was also an easy pack but seemed like the harness was thinner and would be less comfortable (never jumped it because he had a velocity 96 in it) which is more reliable? Which is better?

Get the Racer

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

See I like the microns. Just don't know how comfortable they are seeing as I have never jumped one and I explained the problem with my dads vector. The only rig I have accually jumped is the wings (I am just getting back into jumping. I only have 7 jumps) i have packed for alot of jumpers for a long time and both are very wasy to close whichbi like. I was just kind of looking at the different containers and harness systems and vector and wings were my favorite. Will be a while before I buy.

At the end of the day: it's personal preference, and it sounds like your old man might know a thing about the sport and rigs in general if he's on a velo. But here are some things to think about...

Vector: been around a long time. Well engineered, very safe, extremely well designed. Skyhook is a very good way to go. Reserve PC has one of the most positive springs on the market (my opinion). Magnet riser covers are the only way to go.
cons: not the most comfortable rig on the market (people refer to it as "brick like"), a lot of people say they are ugly, the reserve PC requires a good rigger to keep it from "half mooning". Lastly, the shipping time is way long for now (if you're buying new).

Wings: cheaper, shorter delivery time. If fitted right it can be a very comfortable rig.
Things I don't like about the wings (lot of this is personal opinion and is just that...): The wings reserve PC spring is very light. The way the PC material is supposed to be inserted between the spring is a bit odd. I have seen the reserve PC hesitate to launch (pin was cleared, rig on the floor) could have been packing error, etc (who knows???)the reserve pin cover is goofy, the freefly friendly main deployment handle is not my favorite and the whole rig feels soft and mushy.

Now all that being said-if you're just starting out, anything will prolly be better than the student gear you're jumping now and will make you happy.

Big fan of Vector's, Mirage's and Javelin's. But that's just my opinion...

Good luck with your search,

-Harry
"Sometimes you eat the bar,
and well-sometimes the bar eats you..."

Haha yes he definitely knows a lot about the sport to say the least. He'll he took his 6 year old kid on a tandem (meeee) haha. Thanks for this. As I stated earlier the vector he has seems really uncomfortable.

Racer owners are all members of a very special cult:P. Racers are known for being comfortable and also for being a rigger's nightmare. The only riggers I know who like them owned one before they were riggers. I have a whopping 2 jumps on one, was mentored by a guy who worked at jumpshack for years (he didn't jump a racer, btw) and have repacked the reserve on one cursing the whole way through. John Sherman has done some great things for the sport, and a few people are pretty die hard fans of his rig. As I said earlier, opinions are pretty widespread on rigs, just like on cars or trucks or anything else.

-Harry

"Sometimes you eat the bar,
and well-sometimes the bar eats you..."

I only have 7 jumps

Will be a while before I buy.

Once you have some more jumps under your belt, like about 15 or 20, you can look into borrowing rigs from experienced jumpers to try out different containers and canopies.

Of coruse, you need to make sure they're appropriate for your experience, and have the proper equipment (AAD, RSL) if you're not licensed.

If your dad is a jumper and you're a packer, you should have no problem arranging for some 'test jumps' from fellow jumpers. You see what you like and what you don't like.

Racers are a unique animal. They're really good in some ways, and not so good in others. Most of the ways they're really good, however, you can make other rigs just as good with proper care and use.

the reserve PC requires a good rigger to keep it from "half mooning".

At risk of the inevitable responses, what is 'half mooning'?

I believe he is talking about your rig folding on your back into a "half moon shape"

If there are two rigs:

one that is safeR and some people think is ugly
and the other is ALMOST as safe and marketed as being pretty.

Might as well just get the RACER one ;)

Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder

Explain why it is safer?

Explain why it is safer?

I wouldn't usually jump in here but now that you asked...
Stronger Harness, Faster reserve, more reliable deployment system (SPEED Bag) Known/published reserve extraction force and reserve pilot chute drag capability. Ask the other guys for that spec and see what you get. Guaranteed left/right riser separation within 2 inches on cutaways. Teflon 3 ring release cable, no oiling required for easy pulls at high loads.

In Reply To
-----------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
the reserve PC requires a good rigger to keep it from "half mooning".
------------------------------------------------------------
At risk of the inevitable responses, what is 'half mooning'?

------------------------------------------------------------
I believe he is talking about your rig folding on your back into a "half moon shape"

I think he is refering to an improperly seated pilot chute which tips to one side. If so we have miniminized this by hand sewing the Reserve Closing (Quick Loop) loop to the pilot chute at the factory. The loop must be centered exactly from 12 o'clock to 6 o'clock or the spring will not seat properly. When this is done in the field we recommend the rigger make a template to mark the proper positions on the pilot chute and adhear to those locations when tacking the Quick Loop. If you get the loop off center by to much the spring will tip. Ugly!

between those 2 I would get the vector. available with mag riser covers. me....racer classic..