Shredex

Hot/Cold Air vs. Fallrate

Will you fall slower in hot or cold air?

Cold air is more dense then hot air, so you think you would fall slower due to the drag on the higher density.

But at the same time, hot air rises and cold air descends...

So which is it?

The hot air can't all rise at the same time now, can it? THINK!

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I would imagine most people would see an increase in fallrate when it's colder. We tend to bulk up with winter clothing under jumpsuits, making them tighter and reducing drag, so I'd think that would be a much larger effect than air temperature itself. That's just coming out of my ass, though; that whole "science" thing is hard.

Assuming EVERYTHING is constant except for air temperature, you will fall faster in hot air and slower in cold air because the drag force will decrease with a decrease in air density, and air density will decrease with a decrease in air temperature.

Force of drag = 0.5 X density of fluid (in this case air) X velocity^2 X Cd (drag coefficient) X A (reference area)

Sources:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drag_(physics)

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/air-properties-d_156.html

The reasoning I ask, is because normally in a track I can get to a good 82mph vertical speed with the lowest being 79 and an average of 86.
But last weekend it was a very cold day and I had one heck of a tailwind pushing me along and yet I couldn't fall slower then 95mph.
It confused me...still is...

But last weekend it was a very cold day and I had one heck of a tailwind pushing me along and yet I couldn't fall slower then 95mph.

Why is the tailwind relevant?

(And you probably just had a less good jump than normal.)
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

The reasoning I ask, is because normally in a track I can get to a good 82mph vertical speed with the lowest being 79 and an average of 86.
It confused me...still is...

How was the fall rate measured? GPS or barometric altimeter? That could have an influence on a cold day.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Alti-Track was used.

I wouldn't consider that a very reliable form of measurement.

To answer your previous question, I fall at the same speed, just seems MUCH longer when it's fucking freezing.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

>I would imagine most people would see an increase in fallrate when it's colder. We
>tend to bulk up with winter clothing under jumpsuits, making them tighter and reducing
>drag . . .

?? More clothing increases drag. It's pretty common to have bigway fallrate problems on the first dive of the day when people add sweaters and thermals. Cold air is also more dense, and this decreases fall rate BUT it decreases fall rate for everyone and thus is not a factor for relative work.

I tend to notice the difference more when landing my canopy's. B|

it also seems easier to absorb air through my skin on hotter days (for breathing in freefall)

this question is one about the variability of a very minor factor in freefall speeds - the first question should really be "does the variability in air density even have enough effect to overcome the natural variability of freefall speeds"

- i.e., colder air = more resistance = slower terminal v with all other things held constant - which they aren't normally. But is it really even noticable when you realize that all other things aren't held constant from jump to jump, let alone on completely different temperature days?

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Go and do the jump another 10 times, and then you compare. Alti issue, clothing, your body position, the "tailwind", hehe...

Did you check on your footage to see if you did not have a bootie that came off ie less drag.

Anyways, next time, screw tracking to check your speed, try speedskyjumpin.
You have the right to your opinion, and I have the right to tell you how Fu***** stupid it is.
Davelepka - "This isn't an x-box, or a Chevy truck forum"
Whatever you do, don't listen to ChrisD.