okcorral

Comments on my Cookie G3 GoPro mount

So, just wanted to see what you guys think about this Cookie G3 GoPro mount (see attached pics), is it safe/not-safe?

I just got my Hero 3 and im trying to figure out how to mount it to my G3 with several criteria like generating the least snag points, head clearance and confort, i've seen people mount it on the very upper part of the visor which could be a good idea but what do you think about my option? the way Im holding it down with straps makes it really snug, it barely moves at all, I hope even less if I place a piece of rubber.

I personally havent seen anybody mount it like this but I bet theres someone out there that has at least tried it.

Im also thinking about a cutaway system for the mount before I jump it, im thinking a couple of clips (see "clips.jpg) on either side of the pin that holds the camera and the clips attached together by cutaway cable but im still working on the idea...

I haven't seen that specifically but I've seen motorcycle riders mount it on the chin of their helmet. If it can be done with out easily hitting your chest or inhibiting your range of motion, its a good idea worth trying out.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

I'm wondering what would happen in the event of a faceplant landing.

Sure, they're rare, but I've had one or two that would have broken a camera in that position and also - especially because I open my visor under canopy - possibly fired it (or little bits of it!) into my face.

if you are goingto ziptie it anyways, why not just zip tie the gopro in the case to the chin, skip the screw and mount part they make the camera stick REALLY far off your chin. I used the curve mount on mine on my motorcycle helmet and it kept it nice and close to the halmet and not sticking down on my neck or up in my eyes. I'm no where near jumping with a camera though so I'm not a great judge, just my personal experience with the mc helmet

If you get the lines around your neck, I think your chin might be a bigger impediment to removing the lines than the camera.

Though he's entirely correct, he's obviously not being serious.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto