bigway

skydiving without goggles

I used to do it all the time on hop n' pops. But my newish Velo (canopy) flies very fast now and it irritates my eyes to jump without some form of eye protection. I've also made a freefly jump without googles because I forgot them (just don't look into relative wind) and the worst google-less experience I've had was making a wingsuit jump without them. The dude I was jumping with forgot his googles and is basically blind without his contacts so I volunteered to let him use my googles instead. Big mistake, that wingsuit jump sucked. B|

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

Since common sense dictates the use of some form of eye protection, and I have very sensitive eyes (blonde/blue):SI usually jump with my sun glasses. I wear clear goggles when needed for eye contact.

G. Jones

"I've never been quarantined. But the more I look around, the more I think it might not be a bad idea."

I did about three weeks back. My advanced AFF student had chosen a pair of goggles which had no elastic. I was forced to give him mine - and jump without.

It's never a problem if you keep your chin up. Checking the spot at terminal can be uncomfortable.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

I did and wouldn't do it again on purpose. Eyes hurt for days... Got to alti and realized I had dropped my goggles on the way to the plane.. I wasn't about to ride the plane down.. BOY did it SUCK.... I would do it again if one of the reason posted above came up.. I know I can handle it but wouldn't do it on purpose!

MAKE EVERY DAY COUNT
Life is Short and we never know how long we are going to have. We must live life to the fullest EVERY DAY. Everything we do should have a greater purpose.

NOT ON PURPOSE but have quite a few times in the past, both with tandems and also own jumps. if you keep looking at the same level it is bearable but uncomfortable. With tandems it really isn't an issue especially if the passenger is the same size or taller than you.

Like I said though not something you would want to do on purpose!

BSBD! -Mark.

"A Scar is just a Tattoo with a story!!!"

Hey Bryn, I filmed a tandem back in NZ without them, (forgot them) and when i stepped on to the camera step, for some reason i had the hardest time ever breathing, after a while in freefall i finally figured out how to breath. What i think happened here was because i was in a different situation that was unknown to me, i feel this played tricks with me being relaxed and the stress changed my normal breathing patterns. I guess it is like an AFF student who has a panic attack at the door.
No big deal but was not a nice feeling knowing that just jumping without my googles can dramatically change my comfort zone.

Anyway Bryn, I live with a guy who keeps asking me if i have met Ian Marshall yet at Hinton. Maybe you know the bloke i live with?..... Ken Townsend?

Anyway i hear Mercer has just bought Wendy Smith's old dropzone in Glenorchy,

Where is it you are jumping at the moment Bryn? I am at Hinton.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

Recently did....at least while on the hill.

Was doing some coach sit jumps and was on my last coach jump of the day. We put our gear on, and as usual, I put my goggles on top of my helmet until the door opens to avoid the fog-up, the door opens, coach and I get in position for exit, I count the exit and there I go....down the hill with my goggles still on top of my helmet.

Slowly I see my coach moving towards me and get really excited thinking he is going to dock and then all of a sudden he hits the top of my helmet and everything goes yellow as my goggles fall right in place on my face.

Cool thing about it is in the video you can clearly see me go from joy and exhiliration and then to surprise as I clearly mouth the words "OH SHIT!"

Still was a great jump and glad I had my goggles on top on my helmet instead of around my neck...and glad my coach is such a BAD ASS (thanks Wyat ;)).

"Excuse me while I kiss the sky..." - Jimi Hendrix

would you?

Have you ever been in freefall with rain, hail or ice crystals?

Yeah, wouldn't want to be without them for those for sure. I have about 100 jumps without goggles, presented to particular issues for me, just more comfortable with them (and safer for rain, hail.....).

-----------------------
Roger "Ramjet" Clark
FB# 271, SCR 3245, SCS 1519

I've been reminded twice in 5 jumps to put my goggles on, i get so pumped up and forget the small things which are damn important, its all about relaxing i've learnt :P

Level 6 tomorrow :S

People aint made of nothin' but water and shit.

Until morale improves, the beatings will continue.

Have you ever been in freefall with rain, hail or ice crystals?

Yeah, wouldn't want to be without them for those for sure. I have about 100 jumps without goggles...

And you can't predict when you will encounter those conditions in freefall. I had hail falling in my yard here in Houston last week, during a 95-degree summer thunderstorm. So it's wise to be prepared, and wear goggles for every jump.

You can always flip over on your back if caught without, and take the impacts on your rig. But you've still got to flip over to pull...

I've made a terminal jump with them around my neck:S. I was surprised at how minor of an issue it was. Not that I would do terminals on purpose sans goggles...but it isn't/wasn't that big of a problem for me.

I've had loose goggles "leak" causing my eyes to tear and making that lense basically translucent...this was a worse problem for me than jumping with no goggles.

It would suck to take a bug in the eye at terminal, but I'm not sure how high AGL bugs really hang out. It would also suck to have the wind blow some dust or sand in your eyes while at 100 foot on final. This sand reason is why I wear my goggles even on hop and pops.
Get in - Get off - Get away....repeat as neccessary

A month or so back I forgot my goggles on the way up to film a tandem. I went ahead and did it anyway. I was scarred to death that my contacts would fly out and I would be half blind. Anyway, I locked one eye shut and filmed the video in a super squint... heheheh After filming the deployment on my back I just shut them both real tight and flipped over and dumped. No problem... Hopefully I'll never do it again but you never know.

Gary "Superfletch" Fletcher
D-26145; USPA Coach, IAD/I, AFF/I
Videographer/Photographer

A month or so back I forgot my goggles on the way up to film a tandem. I went ahead and did it anyway.

A lot of drop zones keep a spare pair of goggles up in the cockpit somewhere, often hanging on the back of the copilot seat. Just ask for 'em, or reach up and grab 'em.

Jumpers: when your goggles start to crack and you're thinking of throwing them away - volunteer to put them up in the cockpit to serve as an emergency spare.

On my first balloon jump, I was so excited I forgot to put the goggles from around my neck back on my face. Even on a balloon jump, I like goggles on better - jumps are nicer when you're not exerting energy on squinting and blinking tears.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

I had mine blow off my eyes and onto my forehead on a competition jump once. After the initial shock that they weren't there and the realization that I could still see fine I went on with the dive. As soon as I deployed and got stood up they came done right where they were supposed to. Got down and promptly tightened the strap.
------------------------------------------------
I've done so much, with so little, for so long
I'm now expected to do everything with nothing forever

...Jumpers: when your goggles start to crack and you're thinking of throwing them away - volunteer to put them up in the cockpit to serve as an emergency spare.

Now that's a good suggestion!

I wear glasses so goggles are a must for me seeing as how I'm too cheap to buy prescription goggles.:D
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239