theplummeter

Plansdesigns for canopy hanger

A few years back Blue Skies Mag published plans for a canopy hanger that can be raised, lowered, assembled and disassembled easily. I am getting ready to build one for the dropzone but wanted to put it together at my house first to test it out and have everything ready so that I can use it and so that when I get down to the hangar all I will need to worry about is atttaching it to the hangar roof.

Now I can't find the plans anywhere and was wondering if anyone has them or something similar they would be willing to share. I am also wondering if PVC would be an acceptable material to build it from, or if something else would be better.

The primary function of the PVC pipe is to ensure that all the clamps descend at the same rate.
Nothing more annoying than having 9 clamps at shoulder height, while the tenth decides to stay at ceiling level.

Speaking of clamps, use ten of them, Jezzly big Ponys. Every few months, inspect the clamps to ensure that the rubber padding is still intact.

You will need four or five pulleys firmly attached to your ceiling and a bollard attached to you hangar wall.
Oh! ... and way more sturdy rope than you can count.

The span of the rack varies with the type of canopy you plan to hang. If most of your customers are pond-swoopers, then any old wire hanger (e.g. from the dry-cleaners) will do. OTOH, if you plan to do plenty of 15-jump inspections on tandem mains, then you will need a rack more like 30 feet wide and 10 to 15 feet high.

OTOH, if you plan to do plenty of 15-jump inspections on tandem mains

Damn, I thought that the "every 25 jumps" inspection cycle for Strong tandems was strict! At a busy DZ, a rig might not make it through the whole weekend on one 15-jump inspection cycle!
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

Mine is waaay simpler than that....

I have two old broomsticks, with about a foot and a half of snug fitting PVC pipe connecting them, duct tape to secure. Clamps are free floating on it, so I can just slide them based on where I need them on the canopy. Rope well centered and goes up to a pulley on a beam in my barn (I live in a renovated barn) and ties to a railing in my loft (literally a loft).

The broomsticks were free, clamps cheap from Harbor Freight, rope, wire, duct tape, and PVC all laying around the house anyway.

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda