Karen89

2nd solo...my hands slipped...

Actually staring at the ground causes ground rush and many students flare too high or too fast.

Yes, that is what was dangerous when using a round, and why for modern canopies people are told to look far out in front of them - not straight down at all.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Do no let go once you start your flare. If you realize you flared too high, punch it all the way down, hold it and PLF.

Stop giving lousy advice! That MAY work out OK if a person is using a canopy that is really big and can't be stalled, but it is terrible advice if not.

You mean like a student canopy? The kind a student might be flying?

Even if you know someone is a student using a student canopy, you don't know whether they can stall it. The "punch it" part is also wrong.

As a student with about 20 jumps I was visiting a DZ because our DZ had aircraft issue. I weigh about 170 and was on an older 280 size F111. I tested it by holding the toggles all the way down. No way it was going to stall. After about 10 full seconds it suddenly just folded up and down I went.

It can happen.
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

- I find it helps to kick my feet out in front of me at 100 feet or so. I don't know why it does exactly, but my landings are usually better when I do this.
- Always be ready to PLF.
- Do no let go once you start your flare. If you realize you flared too high, punch it all the way down, hold it and PLF.

I wish the mods could take all that, and more right out of the thread. Especially the totally wrong bit about flaring to high.

You may want to gain a little more knowledge and experience before you offer advice to other new jumpers.

You seem to have the 100-jump Wonder syndrome...at 50 jumps.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Something they teach at my dz (hadn't come across it before) is to have your forearms and elbows on the strut when you step off and then to lower from there. Your forearms are on top of the strut running parallel to it, helps prevent the slipping off...
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

I'm still blaming my gloves. haha. I had no problem the first time without gloves.

The first tme don't count, you were holding on for dear life.;):D

:D:D:D
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Whatever! Gloves suck. :) especially the ones I was given. Now if I slip off next time without gloves I will admit its my fault.

I was trained to transfer the weight to my hands very gently and carefully. That might not be a solution but it does help reduce the peak load you have on your ability to hang on. It also keeps from jerking the plane around....if that matters to anyone.
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

Yeah, the various spring grip strength exercisers are pretty nice. I like the gyroscopic balls you can get too.

I met a katana instructor once, and when I shook his hand it felt like it was made out of steel cable. At that point I don't think you even need the katana anymore. If you're attacked by ninja warriors or something, you could just crush their skulls with your bare hands! That's a grip!
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

Well today I did my 2nd solo IAD jump.One of the skydivers there gave me a pair of gloves and my instructor said they would work fineI was fine in the plane, had my nerves under control even when the door opened. I was stepping out on the step, getting ready to dangle...as soon as my feet started to dangle I felt my hands slip off....damn GLOVES! I was pretty pissed..Probably scared the heck out of my instructor cause she didn't even tell me to go.

Had a rough landing..tried to land on my feet and I did but it was so hard my knee basically hit my chin...well it was a good skydive because I walked away and will be another story to tell one day. They told me I should find gloves...but I'm not sure where to look. I'm weird about spending money and I don't want the same thing to happen again next time I go. Btw, first time I went I didn't have gloves and I was able to dangle with no problem...But they said after a certain temperature the USPA requires gloves...Any suggestions?!

Try baseball batting gloves. I have a pair from adidas and I simply love them: they are thin (good feel), super tacky, flexible and low bulk. I bought mine at Dick´s sporting goods.

Cheers.
When in Danger or in doubt run in circles scream and shout.

I've never tried Neumann's, but I really like Akando skydiving gloves. I have the wind blockers. They have good grip and work really well for winter! I also have a pair of receivers gloves that have insane grip. The first time I jumped with them, I thought when I went to pull my hackey was going to stick to my hand! I really don't understand how a receiver ever drops a ball with these gloves! Also when I was a student I slipped off doing IADs too. The instructor told me all I needed was fingertip strength to hold on. I'm not sure who he thought I was...Rambo apparently! But, another student told me to wrap more of my hand around the strut, and that worked wonders. Never another slip! A random piece of advice is go do 15 minutes in the tunnel before you start your freefall progression. This may save you more money than the tunnel costs. I sucked so bad and was pancaking horribly in freefall. I wasted probably 10-15 jumps in a row at 80 bucks a pop and didn't progress at all from my crummy pancake. First jump after the tunnel I did my check dive!!!
Be Happy!

My findings with gloves so far:

My favorites are still some light "Bionic" weight lifting gloves. They have a good grip and feel natural on my hands. I have no trouble adjusting straps while wearing them. In the winter, you can put latex gloves on underneath them and that'll keep your hands a little warmer, but I still couldn't feel my fingers when I hit the ground when it was 40 degrees (farenheit) on the ground the other day.

I got some Hatch nomex flight gloves to try and they're actually very soft and feel pretty natural, but they're not much warmer than the bionic gloves and feel kind of loose. I actually like the nomex gloves for driving and wearing around in the winter, but not for skydiving.

I have some 5mm neoprene wetsuit gloves, but they're too bulky and not very grippy. They're also hard to get on and off. I can't adjust straps with them on, but am able to find and pull a hacky and toggles. The only thing they really have going for them is that I could jump at any temperature my dropzone will fly at and still be able to feel my fingers at the end of the jump.

So I'm still kind of looking, but for temperature protection my current thinking is "don't jump when it's 40 on the ground" and otherwise wear the Bionic gloves. I kind of like wearing them in the tunnel, too. I noticed the steel cable webbing on the floor has a number of "whiskers" that it kind of looks like you could cut yourself on. I managed to cut my hands several times in AFF, so pretty much always wear gloves for skydiving now. I might rethink this in July...
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?