jrouse

Heading to Deland! It's official!!

Well it's official! I have booked my trip to Deland and scheduled my AFF and A license training with skydive university! I'll be flying in on the 7th of February and staying until the 24th! Super excited and the wait is gonna be tough! Probably going to camp at the DZ for the two weeks unless anyone has a better suggestion. I really didn't wanna spring for the extra cash it would take to get a hotel so camping was the next best option. I would rather use that money to help me get gear or more jumps in while I'm there. If anyone's gonna be there around those dates I would love to meet you and have a beer! Looking forward to having fun and meeting new people and hopefully new friends on this trip!
Lovin every second of it!

Camp out at the DZ. Youre going to be there during the same time frame as the Daytona 500 and hotels rooms are exspensive and hard to find because Deland is only about thirty or so minutes from the Beach. That money may be better spent on a rental car so you can get off the DZ and make runs to Walmart or go check out some attractions. Deland has a very nice Downtown area with some good bars and resturants.

There are some jumpers who have bunk houses near the dz and I think the rates are affordable. Inquire about the list of people at manifest. Hope to meet you!
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Probably going to camp at the DZ for the two weeks unless anyone has a better suggestion.

Contacting manifest and finding a local to put you up is the better suggestion. You can rent a room, or a bed, in a jumpers house generally with kitchen priveldges for waaay less than the cost of a hotel. It will be cleaner and more comfortable, and it's a good way to meet some of the locals.

Given the length of your stay, you should be able to get a really good rate, and spend less than half the cost of a shitty hotel.

Well it's official! I have booked my trip to Deland and scheduled my AFF and A license training with skydive university! I'll be flying in on the 7th of February and staying until the 24th! Super excited and the wait is gonna be tough! Probably going to camp at the DZ for the two weeks unless anyone has a better suggestion. I really didn't wanna spring for the extra cash it would take to get a hotel so camping was the next best option. I would rather use that money to help me get gear or more jumps in while I'm there. If anyone's gonna be there around those dates I would love to meet you and have a beer! Looking forward to having fun and meeting new people and hopefully new friends on this trip!

Just don't get on Rnoda's bad side. Camping was fun out there 12 yrs. ago.
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

Nice! I went to Florida last week for 16 days. It was worth it. I really enjoyed doing everything for my A license in one trip.

I went to Deland for 3 solo jumps when ZHills was closed on one of the Wednesdays. (Summer hours) I liked it.

Enjoy, focus, stay safe, and have fun.

-Chris
I hate landing in planes.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! From everyones input it sounds like bunk houses are the way to go. I did rent a minivan for the trip incase I needed to camp out at the DZ in it. That being said it also gives me transportation off the DZ for other necessities, possibly beer. I have a feeling I'm gonna ned it!

Sweet! You gonna do some wind tunnel time before you go?

Don't forget to breathe! I think I did my first 3 AFF jumps entirely without breathing. From like... the moment I got on the plane... Yeah...

Yeah I'll probably hit the tunnel 3 or 4 more weekends before I head down. I'm making a trip to SkyVenture NH this weekend and next. Been to the tunnel lately yourself?

Not for a couple of weeks. I did 15 minutes a couple of weeks ago for back flying. I'm planning on going again soon (Maybe in early January) to work on fall speed again. I have halfway decent control in the tunnel but always find it to be much harder in the sky. I'm guessing because there are less references to tell how fast I'm falling. Even when I do, I'll dive down to catch a group and end up blowing past them at 140 miles an hour.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

[ Probably going to camp at the DZ for the two weeks unless anyone has a better suggestion.

I would rather use that money to help me get gear or more jumps in while I'm there.

YUP, this guy is a skydiver. Already thinking of the price of things as "how many jumps is this gonna cost me?"
Welcome to our world!
skydiveTaylorville.org
[email protected]

Good luck!! I LOVED every second of my time spent at deland. Jumpig or not. Its such a fun place to hang out, theres tons of great food, people, beer, and always something to do on a windy day.

Definitely check ou the orlando tunnel, on a windy day, or if youre in the mood for a trip ther direction. PJ is a great coach, for one, along with a ton of others, they will get you falling like a pro in no time flat.

Man. I miss that place...Ima harta road trip it there sometime soon and get back in the air. Hmm...
Thanatos340(on landing rounds)--
Landing procedure: Hand all the way up, Feet and Knees Together and PLF soon as you get bitch slapped by a planet.

. PJ is a great coach, for one, along with a ton of others, they will get you falling like a pro in no time flat.

I 2nd that! I'm currently in the middle of doing my AFF with PJ. Great guy! Once I get this belly flying thing down I'm gonna work with him even more to learn to freefly

Pitch a tent and camp out, its half the fun, thats what i always do. The dz is pretty self contained you dont really need to leave if you dont want too. But i would highly suggest going and touring all the local factories, PD, Mirage, Vigil etc its really cool to see all that stuff. Have fun good luck and enjoy it!