bdazel

Need help spending money

The marketing committee at my firm said recently that they want me to figure out a way to spend money on something skydiving-related. I'm curious what ideas you might have about creative or unique ways to do this. I'm not in marketing, so the only things I know are the standard logos on jumpsuits, rigs, canopies, demo flags, helmets, etc. Perhaps also a video or photos that can be used in marketing materials. Do any of you have any ideas? I'm hoping to at least get a bit of new gear out of the deal.

they could sponsor an athlete like me, or a rigger like me.
If they are interested I can give them my bank account number :)
otherwise, all you said, pull-up cords, energy-drinks, banners/windblades, sponsoring a team, sponsoring a competition/boogie etc etc

scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

I imagine the company logo on the bottom side of a parachute canopy would probably get you more attention than pretty much anything else you could drop 10 grand on. They're clearly visible from the ground for several minutes on each jump. Putting a patch on someone's jumpsuit or sticker on their helmet would be a lot less expensive but would only be seen by your fellow skydivers, typically.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

they could sponsor an athlete like me, or a rigger like me.
If they are interested I can give them my bank account number :)
otherwise, all you said, pull-up cords, energy-drinks, banners/windblades, sponsoring a team, sponsoring a competition/boogie etc etc

A dragon and spongebob on a canopy... that works for every company, right?
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Can you jump into a race? That would cost money and hassle, but you could bling up with logos on your canopy and jumpsuit (or whoever you hire if you decide that you want to go with a pro), and it would probably bring a ton of publicity.

The reason why hiring a pro (yes, you have a shitload of jumps, but I don't know how many of htem are standups on the peas with a big boring canopy) might make sense is because then there won't be endless replays of the dingbat who (hit the car/spectator/chair/whatever).

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

The firm provides IP legal services. I agree that something seen only by skydivers is not best. The dropzone I spend most of my time at does a large volume of tandems, so there are always non-skydivers around as well as other people who are involved with the airport. Regardless, the demo route might be the best thing to suggest.

Do a tandem event involving members of your specific target audience at either a conspicuous location or somewhere that's easily accessible by the press and public. Make the goal a quantity of tandems in a given timeframe. Publicize the goal as raising awareness for the rights of writers, musicians, whatever it may be.

Oh and find a way to tie in the "Don't Copy That Floppy" meme.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

The firm provides IP legal services.

Skydiving IP lawyers represent!

There's probably a reason that they don't. :P
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Before you can figure out what type of marketing weapons to use you must define what you're aiming at. (Sorry! Too much time spent reading the gun threads.) What are your firm's marketing / communications objectives? What are the strategies and tactics to meet them? Put simply, you need to define who you want to reach, what the message you want to tell them is and then -- most importantly - what action you would like them to take based on that.

Only then can you (or your marketing committee) figure out how skydiving might fit into traditional / digital / social marketing campaigns and what the best use of your marketing $ is. Alternately, just buy everyone on dropzone.com free jumps. That'll work.
www.wci.nyc

It would help to know what the company does. And anything that's going to be seen by only skydivers (patches, canopies) is a waste of money.

Someone should have asked this question sooner. :D

Bah! Marketing isn't about what your company DOES! It's about making your company SEXEH! And... they had me at "IP Law Firm" *squee*
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?